$100K Signing Bonus - Hiring Pilots

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

$100K Signing Bonus - Hiring Pilots

Post by CanadaAir »

Other pilots are getting paid 100% rate for deadhead/repositioning time.

First Officers start getting Captain pay at 750 hours with the company.

150% pay on Halloween and the Super Bowl.

4 paid hotel nights per month for commuters.

Minimum 12 hours notice of a flight while on Reserve.

Almost forgot the $100k welcome Bonus. ( Couldn't find their training bond. They pay you. You don't pay them)

For dual citizens and those who can work in US or want to move to US.
Write the US conversion exam in case the US increases hiring from Canada.
Or work with your union to get these conditions in Canada.

More of this and US salaries are being discussed on this thread http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=181713

.2.png
.2.png (94.48 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
.21.png
.21.png (136.34 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
---------- ADS -----------

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: $100K Signing Bonus - Hiring Pilots

Post by newlygrounded »

CanadaAir wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:36 am
Other pilots are getting paid 100% rate for deadhead/repositioning time.

First Officers start getting Captain pay at 750 hours with the company.

150% pay on Halloween and the Super Bowl.

4 paid hotel nights per month for commuters.

Minimum 12 hours notice of a flight while on Reserve.

Almost forgot the $100k welcome Bonus. ( Couldn't find their training bond. They pay you. You don't pay them)

For dual citizens and those who can work in US or want to move to US.
Write the US conversion exam in case the US increases hiring from Canada.
Or work with your union to get these conditions in Canada.

More of this and US salaries are being discussed on this thread http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=181713

.2.png

.21.png
It's ok, making half a garbage truck driver salary is more than fair, especially considering most airlines are based in 2 of the top 5 most expensive cities in the world

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

This was posted on CBC

Pay pilots better or risk further northern Manitoba court delays, union says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitob ... -1.6756270

Low wages are the source of a pilot shortage contributing to delays in Manitoba's circuit court system, according to the union that represents them.

Flights taken by circuit court staff to 22 remote Manitoba communities from Winnipeg have been cancelled repeatedly in the past number of months, according to several lawyers CBC News has spoken with, as well as the province's chief judge, Margaret Wiebe.

Both the company and the provincial government have chalked the problem up to a global pilot shortage, but Tim Perry, a working pilot for WestJet and the president of the Air Line Pilots Association Canada, says that's not quite it.

"Characterizing the pilot supply issue today as a global pilot shortage is either a considerable oversimplification or a plain mischaracterization," he said in an interview on Friday.

"What we really have is job offers that are not competitive right now. Pilots are choosing career paths that are better paid."

The union represents up to 500 pilots at airlines owned by Exchange Income Corporation, including Bearskin Airlines, Perimeter Aviation, Calm Air, Wasaya and PAL Airlines and Aerospace.

Take a read of the full article.

CanadaAir
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by CanadaAir »

From a poster in another thread, Canadian pilots are being approved for flying jobs in the US:

"The NIW approvals are rolling in. I know of 9 pilots from a variety of Canadian airlines who have been approved!
Now is the time if you are serious about it!!"

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

CanadaAir wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:03 am From a poster in another thread, Canadian pilots are being approved for flying jobs in the US:

"The NIW approvals are rolling in. I know of 9 pilots from a variety of Canadian airlines who have been approved!
Now is the time if you are serious about it!!"
FWIW, The NIW isnt just for joe blow the pilot and it should be carefully mentioned that those that would typically qualify for the NIW are high timed, extremely experienced applicants. I am sure there may be come that slip through the cracks, theres a reason why its called the "National Interest Waiver".

Lawyers/attorneys will gladly feed you the dream after paying them to submit paperwork. BE VERY careful should you want to apply this route.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

I sent em an email, they are not sponsoring visas soo this discussion doesnt really matter

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Nobody is sponsoring. That's why you go the NIW route

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

You are incorrect regarding the below statement. Major airlines may not be sponsoring, however corporate Part 91 &135 departments are.
JHR wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:36 pm Nobody is sponsoring. That's why you go the NIW route

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

Yes, I was referring to airlines.
I think the NIW is definitely the way to go as it is not tied to one employer and can lead to citizenship.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

JHR wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:45 am Yes, I was referring to airlines.
I think the NIW is definitely the way to go as it is not tied to one employer and can lead to citizenship.
Curious to know whether you have gone this route, and if you were successful with USCIS approving your app?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:04 am The NIW isnt just for joe blow the pilot and it should be carefully mentioned that those that would typically qualify for the NIW are high timed, extremely experienced applicants.
Also worth considering if you can hype up any experience you have as a trainer, checker, or manager. Anyone can sit in a chair long enough, specialization is a whole other ball game.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

JHR wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:36 pm Nobody is sponsoring. That's why you go the NIW route
Not accurate. Frontier is sponsoring pilots on H1B's

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

NIW?

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

EB2 national interest waiver. You get a green card if you can show it is in their interest use your talents. Slow process but proving successful.

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

I was sponsored by my USA employer on O1 visa with express option. This provides an approval in 15 days after submission.

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

newlyexpat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:20 pm I was sponsored by my USA employer on O1 visa with express option. This provides an approval in 15 days after submission.
Curious about your residency/citizenship, experience level, how you went about the process (through a lawyer, employment agency etc) and who you are flying for.

If you're willing to share, I think there is a lot of interested people.

Thanks

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

cargocowboy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:48 pm
newlyexpat wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:20 pm I was sponsored by my USA employer on O1 visa with express option. This provides an approval in 15 days after submission.
Curious about your residency/citizenship, experience level, how you went about the process (through a lawyer, employment agency etc) and who you are flying for.

Thanks
I can share I am a Canadian Citizen / Resident who has been flying Private Jets for past 5 years. Being type on a jet they operate was very beneficial.

The company who hired me used their own immigration law firm as they have been hiring and sponsoring foreign pilots over the past few years. They set everything up for me in regards to immigration.

Hope this helps.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

newlyexpat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:41 am

Thanks
I can share I am a Canadian Citizen / Resident who has been flying Private Jets for past 5 years. Being type on a jet they operate was very beneficial.

The company who hired me used their own immigration law firm as they have been hiring and sponsoring foreign pilots over the past few years. They set everything up for me in regards to immigration.

Hope this helps.
What was your extraordinary ability?

O-1 Visa: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.

For more information, see USCIS Policy Manual Volume 2, Part M.

The O nonimmigrant classification are commonly referred to as:

O-1A: Individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics (not including the arts, motion pictures or television industry);
O-1B: Individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry;
O-2: Individuals who will accompany an O-1 artist or athlete to assist in a specific event or performance; and
O-3: Individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Quick note for those looking to head to the US, upgrading to Captain at a regional or airline (Part 121 operator) needs a certain amount of Part 121 (or PIC in Part 91 or 135 - General/Charter aviation). This NEEDS to be time acquired on US registered aircraft. So even if you have x thousands of hours as an RJ Captain in Canada, you are not eligible to go direct entry Captain at a US Regional.

newlyexpat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by newlyexpat »

yycflyguy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:15 am
newlyexpat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:41 am

Thanks

Hope this helps.
What was your extraordinary ability?

O-1 Visa: Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement

The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is for the individual who possesses extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who has a demonstrated record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry and has been recognized nationally or internationally for those achievements.

For more information, see USCIS Policy Manual Volume 2, Part M.

The O nonimmigrant classification are commonly referred to as:

O-1A: Individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics (not including the arts, motion pictures or television industry);
O-1B: Individuals with an extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in motion picture or television industry;
O-2: Individuals who will accompany an O-1 artist or athlete to assist in a specific event or performance; and
O-3: Individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders.
Please see the FAA Conversion thread regarding this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=136330&start=20

In summary, copied from that thread:

I was able to meet 4 of the 8 extraordinary criteria (3 are required for O-1 Visa eligibility).
Google search O-1 eligibility for a detailed list if interested. I met the following criteria:

1. Have you ever participated as a judge of the work of others.. - You meet this if you have ever managed or trained pilots/staff, conducted performance reviews, review/supervision of day to day work, involved in hiring/promotion of staff, conducted/reviewed FOQA audits, Quality Assurance Audits, Safety Management Investigations, hold an ACP/flight test examiner, etc.

2. Have you produced any original scientific, scholarly, or business related contributions of major significance in your field of expertise - You can meet this if you have ever worked in the business side of aviation, worked on any major projects for your company, worked on aircraft acquisition projects, reviewed or set profit/loss goals, financial goals, authored manuals, procedures/sop's, work instructions, or other business/operations projects, etc.

3. Have you ever worked in a “critical or essential” capacity for an organization - You can meet this requirement if you have held a training captain, supervisory, leadership or management role within an organization.

4. Have you, or will you, receive a high salary - You can meet this criteria if you are at the top salary range, essentially a senior captain or manager should be able to meet this criteria. Also starting captain salaries in the USA on a heavy biz jet tend to be in the 250k USD range annually which additionally qualifies you in this category.

The advantage of the O-1 visa is that if you qualify, there are unlimited number of these Visa's issued (therefore very fast processing times). Most other visa's are generally lottery based with long vetting/wait times (6 to 12 months). There are a set amount of these lottery based VISA's issued annually. This makes it more competitive, and generally you require significant skills and flying experience for approval. This being said, being sponsored by an employer in most cases guarantees approval and gives you a much higher approval advantage in regards to lottery based visas (or any Visa). Having access to a good immigration lawyer is also highly recommended.

One other issue one may experience in regards to this process is Visa interview wait times (once formally approved) are very long in Canada. Current wait times for interviews in Canada range from 70 to 120 days dependant on embassy/consulate location. Wait times in Europe and South America for interviews can be as quick as 1 to 7 days (I travelled to South America as I need my visa ASAP). This is the last step in visa issuance.

This information is based on my experience and information from my immigration lawyer. Your experience may differ.

Best of Luck!

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”