First Officer Twin Otter

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyndad
Rank 3
Rank 3

First Officer Twin Otter

Post by flyndad »

I have a past student of mine attending Twin Otter First Officer training in a few weeks time. He was asking for advice on what to expect for a training program and I advised him to contact the company directly as I have new experience with this type, any advice from those with experience on type would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: First Officer Twin Otter

Post by Pacqing »

must be company specific as I've never heard of this training course before

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Mine was here's the book, your ride is on Tuesday. Wait, I don't think they even gave me the book. They told me to ask one of the other pilots for theirs.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Power levers from the ceiling is normal! It's the other arrangements which are odd!

Keep it to 20 flap until you've got that mastered, then 30 and 40. Do not bounce the airplane off its nosewheel! Really gentle with reverse, and only once the nosewheel is on. Both engines might not spool up at the same rate, avoid asymmetric reverse with significant power. Holding the nose light after landing allows you to focus on directional control with the rudder, you can fight with the nosewheel steering later, so plan to not need reverse until you're slowed right down for your first few landings.

Pay attention to what the left seat pilot is doing with the nosewheel steering, when it's your turn on the left, it'll be all you!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Very easy airplane for a first turboprop.

Not particularly fast and the they way the engines work in flight, it quite similar to piston engines with constant speed props.

There are some nasty gotchas though for line flying.

Little Star
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Little Star »

It's a very forgiving plane.

Return to “Flight Training”