Company Morale

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Company Morale

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rudder wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:40 pm
airway wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:13 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:08 pm
Not sure if it’s still being made. Flew with embraer pilot th

He also said the E2-175 was above the allowable take off weight for US regional scope clauses. Even though the seat count could possibly be under.
I heard it is also too big for the AC scope as well. I don't know if that is size, weight or seat # though.
The E2-175 is scope compliant at AC. Meets ACPA max seating and max hull size scope limitations. However, E2-175 is not being produced for commercial delivery.

E175 still in production and the 86000lb version is scope compliant in US. The 89000lb version is scope compliant at AC (and Alaska Airlines).
Thanks for the update!
---------- ADS -----------

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Embraer has stated that the E2-175 commercial production decision has been delayed until 2025. They are hoping that the USA majors will ammend their scope clauses to allow it to be flown by their CPA carriers. A large order from a USA CPA carrier would justify the cost of completing commercial delelopment of the type but several majors just signed new contracts and to the best of my knowledge there were no changes to scope. Even though Jazz could currently operate the E2-175 under current scope I doubt a 40 tail order from Jazz would justify development

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

rudder wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:40 pm
airway wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:13 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:08 pm
Not sure if it’s still being made. Flew with embraer pilot th

He also said the E2-175 was above the allowable take off weight for US regional scope clauses. Even though the seat count could possibly be under.
I heard it is also too big for the AC scope as well. I don't know if that is size, weight or seat # though.
The E2-175 is scope compliant at AC. Meets ACPA max seating and max hull size scope limitations. However, E2-175 is not being produced for commercial delivery.

E175 still in production and the 86000lb version is scope compliant in US. The 89000lb version is scope compliant at AC (and Alaska Airlines).

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

By the time Jazz gets new embraers I would be surprised if they had anyone left in their training department.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

Attachments
C9AA47E8-3A28-49EF-89C1-4BC302B69E80.jpeg
C9AA47E8-3A28-49EF-89C1-4BC302B69E80.jpeg (353.74 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Last Flight Out wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:56 pm I came over from Sky with very high expectations of Jazz. I have been flying for a living now for over 30 years and thought Jazz would be the last stop in my career. I must say that in my 30 years as a pilot Jazz is by far the worst managed airline I have ever worked for. I am not here to shit on Jazz, I have met many great people at all levels of the operation. I believe the lack of leadership in management on the flight operations end of things is clearly fuelling the low morale we see here every day. Since the end of Covid when the shortage of pilots was again recognized and the mass exodus from Jazz to Air Canada and pretty much every other airline began we have heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FROM JAZZ to address the situation NOTHING. Of course this will lead to poor morale. Management is sending a clear message to the pilot group, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE THEN HIT THE ROAD WE DONT CARE ABOUT ANY OF YOU. Many are off to AC as they should with a great career ahead of them. Others are going where the money is and the hope of a better lifestyle. I hope my departure as that of many of my peers will some how help those staying at Jazz achieve the renumeration and improved working conditions that they deserve. It’s hard working for any company that clearly does not care about its employees. For anyone thinking of Jazz, stay away. There are so many great opportunities out there right now. Jazz should be at the bottom of your list, Don’t get stuck at Jazz. Find a good fit anywhere but here.
Nailed it, can someone gets the lights please.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Yolked wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:53 pm Everyone in my class was hired less than a year ago and many are already fed up. Anyone else sick of surviving on canned soup?
I am curious Yolked, maybe tell the audience what your major complaint is? Not a Triple 7 Captain yet?

News Flash - only a short time ago it was a couple years "ramping" in the Arctic waiting for a flying seat. Then a few years flying Medivacs in the middle of the night as a co-pilot.

Maybe a left seat on a King Air.....then..... a Dash 8 Job at Jazz. Finally a Major Airline job by about 7000 Hours and 10 years in the industry.

Fast forward to 2023, Jazz with 250 hours, free clean White Shirt, no loading a patient that put a shot gun in their mouth into the back of a beat up King Air in -40.

How fed up are you?

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:41 pm
Yolked wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:53 pm Everyone in my class was hired less than a year ago and many are already fed up. Anyone else sick of surviving on canned soup?
I am curious Yolked, maybe tell the audience what your major complaint is? Not a Triple 7 Captain yet?

News Flash - only a short time ago it was a couple years "ramping" in the Arctic waiting for a flying seat. Then a few years flying Medivacs in the middle of the night as a co-pilot.

Maybe a left seat on a King Air.....then..... a Dash 8 Job at Jazz. Finally a Major Airline job by about 7000 Hours and 10 years in the industry.

Fast forward to 2023, Jazz with 250 hours, free clean White Shirt, no loading a patient that put a shot gun in their mouth into the back of a beat up King Air in -40.

How fed up are you?
Gotta love the logic of, "I had to eat shit for X amount of time so should you!"

Someone on a different thread brought up a good point. Its partly due to people like you that were willing to do non pilot related jobs, fly unsafe equipment and put up with all sorts of shit just so you could fly a nice shiny jet one day, that the industry is in the condition it is. It is people like you that showed management types that they could mop the floor with pilots and they'd still bend over and ask for more.

The young kids that you love to make fun of so much, seem to have the balls to say no to shitty work and work conditions. Something you never had the courage to do.

But thats what bothers you, isn't it? How can some young buck who "doesn't know jack shit" have the courage to do something you only dreamed about. These kids are doing what you told yourself you would have done while taking that hot shower at the end of a 17 hour day, "I should have said this and that when he told me to do X" Only to go and do it all over again the next day.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

How fed up are you?

I did everything you mentioned above:
- Rampie for 1.5 years
- F/O and CAPT up North flying medevacs at night, seeing all sorts of insane things (gunshot victims, burn victims, domestic violence victims, etc).
- Dash 8 for many years... etc.

That has nothing to do with the facts that:

10 years ago rent wasn't $2,500 and groceries weren't $100 per bag, gas wasn't nearing $2.00 a litre and hotels were not $300 a night. Today's young generation is really struggling, whether it's in aviation or not. We shouldn't disregard their struggle. Yes, some want instant gratification, but the young pilots today that I meet are professional, mature and disciplined and they deserve a good life. Life in Canada, especially for the middle class, has gone to shit. I often tell people that if my wife and I had the same jobs (we have today) 20 years ago, we'd have a house on the lake (in Southern Ontario, like Kingsville) or a really nice townhouse in Toronto. Today we have to live far away to offer our child a decent house and a standard of living that I grew up with.

I understand where you're coming from. It seems we have similar experiences. It's important to see things as they are. You and I also didn't have to fly a Lancaster bomber over Dresden like our grandparents did. (Mine actually fought alongside the Germans... but I tend not to mention that small detail. The countries were drawn differently back then). Each generation faces its own struggles, its own ups and downs. We need to focus on the present and the future. What was 10 years ago is as irrelevant as what was 80 years ago.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:58 pm

How fed up are you?
Gotta love the logic of, "I had to eat shit for X amount of time so should you!"

Someone on a different thread brought up a good point. Its partly due to people like you that were willing to do non pilot related jobs, fly unsafe equipment and put up with all sorts of shit just so you could fly a nice shiny jet one day, that the industry is in the condition it is. It is people like you that showed management types that they could mop the floor with pilots and they'd still bend over and ask for more.

The young kids that you love to make fun of so much, seem to have the balls to say no to shitty work and work conditions. Something you never had the courage to do.

But thats what bothers you, isn't it? How can some young buck who "doesn't know jack shit" have the courage to do something you only dreamed about. These kids are doing what you told yourself you would have done while taking that hot shower at the end of a 17 hour day, "I should have said this and that when he told me to do X" Only to go and do it all over again the next day.
Except they aren’t saying no, they are lining up to be first in line for a shot at four years of flat pay and the only reason they’re bitching is because they aren’t at AC yet.
If they were, the shit conditions would only be reflected upon as the price they had to pay to get to AC.
You’ve got pilots on the AC forum saying they would apply if it wasn’t a pay cut and others warning about waiting having consequences of being junior to 500-2000 pilots who didn’t wait.

futboler14
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by futboler14 »

How fed up are you?
Haha. Almost word for word my career. Tylenol overdose at 2 am in Resolute Bay. Here's the keys, bring 'er back in one piece.

Edit- spelling

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:36 pm

How fed up are you?

Except they aren’t saying no, they are lining up to be first in line for a shot at four years of flat pay and the only reason they’re bitching is because they aren’t at AC yet.
If they were, the shit conditions would only be reflected upon as the price they had to pay to get to AC.
You’ve got pilots on the AC forum saying they would apply if it wasn’t a pay cut and others warning about waiting having consequences of being junior to 500-2000 pilots who didn’t wait.

They're saying no to the myriad of horrible northern employers the old guard sees as a badge of honour having to endure. They don't realize that it's only a reflection of how submissive they really are.

Like RoAF-Mig21 said, many are quick to judge the new generation without taking the time to consider their struggles. Every generation had theirs, but I can't think of any that post WW2 had a combination of low paying jobs and extremely high cost of living. Everything from housing, food, transportation, education, etc. The only reason they're bitching about being stuck at Jazz is because of the horrible place the old generation turned it into. Jazz used to be a career destination. Who voted in the new payscales and ever dwindling benefits? Sure wasn't the kid just getting on the Dash straight off of flight school. It was the boomers that are quick to say "You didn't have to take the job". Imagine that! Systematically sabotaging the job over the years for the new genertion, only to wash themselves of any responsibility by saying no one forced you to take it.

Yeah, how dare the young kid that has to pay through the nose for everything want to get on the ladder to a high paying job as soon as possible. What a fucking asshole, eh?

capt_Z
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by capt_Z »

How fed up are you?

Nailed it!!!!

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

A reply to the quote above:

The "Old Guard" isn't bothered by the NexGen of pilots, they are a constant source of comic relief. What the Old Guard is "in awe" of is the hypocrisy and entitlement of the NexGen. One of the best examples and likely what could be an immediate game changer is how quickly "open flying" get snatched up; leave it on the table, let the flights go uncovered. Forcing the cancellation of some flights is something everyone can do at all paygrades. It will have an immediate impact; it's a legitimate response, not a "job action". From what I've witnessed it's predominately the NexGen that is sopping up the open time and the logic for doing so no different than the logic applied by the Old Guard, back in the day.

I fully understand why a junior FO needs to pick up this flying, its that or KD for dinner in their parents basement apartment. The same can't be said for a Skipper at any paygrade, show some of this "courage" your claiming to have. That NexGen skipper is no better than the Old Guard that "paid their dues" in a differ way at a different time in the industry.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:49 am Gotta love the logic of, "I had to eat shit for X amount of time so should you!"

The "Old Guard" isn't bothered by the NexGen of pilots, they are a constant source of comic relief. What the Old Guard is "in awe" of is the hypocrisy and entitlement of the NexGen. One of the best examples and likely what could be an immediate game changer is how quickly "open flying" get snatched up; leave it on the table, let the flights go uncovered. Forcing the cancellation of some flights is something everyone can do at all paygrades. It will have an immediate impact; it's a legitimate response, not a "job action". From what I've witnessed it's predominately the NexGen that is sopping up the open time and the logic for doing so no different than the logic applied by the Old Guard, back in the day.

I fully understand why a junior FO needs to pick up this flying, its that or KD for dinner in their parents basement apartment. The same can't be said for a Skipper at any paygrade, show some of this "courage" your claiming to have. That NexGen skipper is no better than the Old Guard that "paid their dues" in a differ way at a different time in the industry.
Funny, I've noticed the opposite. More often than not, it seems to be that senior FO thats quick to say "I stayed here for lifestyle reasons" without being asked. We all know why you stayed there, Bob. You're not fooling anyone. That and senior skippers that just can't get enough of that juicy OT rate.

I fully understand why they need to pick up this flying, its that or not having any semblance of a decent life after their 3rd wife.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:50 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:49 am Gotta love the logic of, "I had to eat shit for X amount of time so should you!"

Funny, I've noticed the opposite. More often than not, it seems to be that senior FO thats quick to say "I stayed here for lifestyle reasons" without being asked. We all know why you stayed there, Bob. You're not fooling anyone. That and senior skippers that just can't get enough of that juicy OT rate.

I fully understand why they need to pick up this flying, its that or not having any semblance of a decent life after their 3rd wife.
I hate to disappoint you but the name isn't Bob, Robert or any other version of that, you "outed" the wrong guy.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:17 am

I hate to disappoint you but the name isn't Bob, Robert or any other version of that, you "outed" the wrong guy.
I was using a generic name. Wasn't trying to out anyone.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:21 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:17 am

I was using a generic name. Wasn't trying to out anyone.

This "Old Guard" hasn't done one second of OT at any juicy rate ever. I stand by my comments the sooner pilots stop snatching the "open time" like Piranha's and operations has to start cancelling flight the sooner some change will start happening.

smooth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by smooth »

Yolked wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:09 am
kiaszceski wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:55 am
truedude wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:53 am

Giving up the market share to competition, while simultaneously bleeding pilots to that competition, isn't a plan. It's incompetence. And there seems to be a lot of that at AC these days.
Is it really losing market share? Aren't they just pulling out of the west to let Flair and WJ eat themselves, consolidate the East and come back once they have the manpower?
I would be more worried about Porter with the E2, they will have roughly the same routes as the 220.

Either way, things need to change, before July.

I heard Porter’s Q fleet is going to start operating out of YYZ. Between them and the E2, Jazz is in trouble. They can’t even get PPC’s and line checks done without the help of western captains coming over. Employees are leaving left and right for AC and anyone else who is paying more. It really is about the money, and Jazz is at the bottom with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Porter's new payscale is looking good
First year EMB CA 90K at Jazz vs 150k at Porter

Porter New Payscale.jpg
Porter New Payscale.jpg (458.5 KiB) Viewed 1924 times

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

smooth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:09 am
Yolked wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:09 am
kiaszceski wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:55 am

Is it really losing market share? Aren't they just pulling out of the west to let Flair and WJ eat themselves, consolidate the East and come back once they have the manpower?
I would be more worried about Porter with the E2, they will have roughly the same routes as the 220.

Either way, things need to change, before July.

I heard Porter’s Q fleet is going to start operating out of YYZ. Between them and the E2, Jazz is in trouble. They can’t even get PPC’s and line checks done without the help of western captains coming over. Employees are leaving left and right for AC and anyone else who is paying more. It really is about the money, and Jazz is at the bottom with no light at the end of the tunnel.
Porter's new payscale is looking good
First year EMB CA 90K at Jazz vs 150k at Porter

Porter New Payscale.jpg

No.. it’s not. It’s better but not great. I’m going to hazard a guess these folks have 2-5000 hours. The Q400 pay is a joke.

Keep in mind, I can make Q400 captain pay after a year as a tree faller. (1-12 month of education) I don’t take successive pay cuts. ( pay cuts with each lateral move) Once im certified, that’s it. No more pay cuts moving up.. or across just raises.

I’m assuming someone coming from say Q400 FO at Jazz to Q400 FO at porter would be starting at year 1.

People in this industry have stockholms syndrome … they’ve been abused so long they don’t know any different.

Also, have a look at the meter reader post 70k to read a hydro meter.

Parking enforcement workers make 70k where I live.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”