Porter vs Transat

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Goofygoober
Rank 0
Rank 0

Porter vs Transat

Post by Goofygoober »

Looking to get people’s input on comparing the two companies. If you had the choice between going right seat on porters E2 or transats A321 right now which would you pick? Porter is expanding aggressively (almost seems as though they’re trying to become “eastjet”) while transat appears to be streamlining/restructuring to deal with accumulated pandemic debt. With the casualties expected to start later this year in the industry as things begin to take shape, are there any predictions for the futures of either company?
---------- ADS -----------

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Porter vs Transat

Post by Invertago »

Transat is a vacation airline that depends on people’s discretionary $. Porter is diversified with business travel. Transat has a lot of debt but it is Quebec based thus probably can’t be allowed to fail. Porter seems more stable. I think Porter for security but Transat for fun destinations.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
vanislepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vanislepilot »

Ya live once bruh

Transat you'll see and stay in some sweet destinations. Get to fly a really nice airplane (321) and get some wide body experience on the 330.

I wouldn't necessarily say either is stable, who even knows what goes on behind the curtains. However I much rather have a layover in Lisbon and Malaga than the airport hotel in Halifax.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

If the crap hits the fan, or if you decide either airline just isn't for you - the 320 is a more useful type rating worldwide. Lots of doors open up with time on that plane.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

I'd pick Transat without giving it a second thought:
1. It's a QB company and they won't let it fail (as someone said above)
2. Great destinations
3. A321 / A330
4. Amazing company. I am yet to meet a pilot from Transat that had something bad to say about it.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

I'd go Porter as they are expanding. Get in on the ground floor. Transat is on its last legs.

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

The comments above in favour of Transat I agree with. Last legs? It wasn't long ago that Air Canada was on "it's last legs" same was said of Cargojet at one point too. TS finances are heading in the right direction despite over 1 billion in debt. Solid plans they are on track with, no worries here. As mentioned above 320/330 rating > than EMB/DH8. Better overall compensation and lifestyle.

Porter, sure ground floor of their plans which can be exciting and rewarding. They are running some debt from what was seen during the YTZ court action and with ambitious growth plans. They'll be tapping into new destinations in the US and further south there will be growing pains. They are a good company and I wish them success.

However, this is aviaiton, can't know or believe anything until it happens. In the end we are finally in a pilots market, so can't go wrong, especially if you are young.

clearmyside
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clearmyside »

I'd choose Air Transat.

Five (fairly) good of reasons:

- there's no getting in on the ground floor at Porter. All 400 dash pilots are more senior to you and will eclipse your seniority number
for a few years to come. Translation: your schedule will suck for a long time.

- Business travel isn't necessarily a stable business and it's still on the mend. Porter is signing up to be a feeder airline to Air Transat.

- Air Transat aircraft are larger and just as modern. Remember, you can always "downgrade", but the real challenge always will be how
to upgrade!

- How many times can you fly to New York, or Halifax or Dallas in a year, before you want to quit? With Transat you'll do actual
international flying (yes, yes spare me the semantics), get oceanic experience and have a great chance to go on the wide body

- Air Transat has now been around for a long time and the day they are allowed to fail, will be the day the province of Quebec will
seize to exist

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

clearmyside wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:29 pm I'd choose Air Transat.

- Air Transat has now been around for a long time and the day they are allowed to fail, will be the day the province of Quebec will seize to exist
I think your reasons are solid and the last one is definitely true.

But to get more to point of what I think the question is: the company not being allowed to fail and someone, as a new hire, not being laid off are very different things. Realistically, how likely are layoffs at AT if the economy takes a big down turn? (To be clear, I think Porter would be equally affected).

Timetoflyagain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Timetoflyagain »

..as above both have solid pros and cons..,so perhaps it’ll come down to what you want personally in terms of lifestyle. TS has bases in YUL and YYZ, longer & higher credit pairings. Long haul might not be best for family life, sitting for days in Europe or bussing between cities after 8 hrs in the air. PD has YYZ, YHZ, YOW, YQT and YUL/YHU by 2024..more days worked, but fewer time zones. A west base in the future, US and Caribbean flights within a year. As for the seniority comment above, yes, all 400ish pilots are above you, with 29 Q400’s and 9 E195’s here today….only 41 more tails to go for the firm order (26 tails by Dec31) and another 50 options, more Q’s..upgrades and better % position not long to wait. TS bigger FO and Cap paycheck,(bigger metal).. PD quicker Cap paycheck. Could go on for hours… Decisions..decisions…

Return to “General Comments”