Smaller Westjet vs Pay Pilots

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Smaller Westjet vs Pay Pilots

Post by kiaszceski »

Westjet pilots will fold like every other time, they'll go to arbitration and lose what they've achieved.
Canadian pilots are scared, we are not the Americans, we are just nice Canadians.

There'll be no strike, and the company is piling up money for the lockout.
How long they'll be on lockout depends on when the union agrees on the company's terms.
This will be the new normalcy and pilots will continue whining.

Canadian pilots don't have the guts to stand firm for themselves.
---------- ADS -----------

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:15 am Westjet pilots will fold like every other time, they'll go to arbitration and lose what they've achieved.
Canadian pilots are scared, we are not the Americans, we are just nice Canadians.

How long they'll be on lockout depends on when the union agrees on the company's terms.

Oh sh#t the f#ck up.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

IF there is a strike, please open a GoFundMe and I will donate to help the striking pilot costs.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Malfunction wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 am
kiaszceski wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:15 am Westjet pilots will fold like every other time, they'll go to arbitration and lose what they've achieved.

Oh sh#t the f#ck up.
Why should I, Does reality make you worried?

The union is telling pilots "Be ready". They've been saying it for at least a year. How many of us are ready? How many put at least 3-4 or even 6 months of savings aside to be locked out or on strike?
I'd say less than 20%. The senior guys don't give a sh#t. the junior ones are leaving for AC.
The company is always 2 steps ahead.
You ain't gonna change the results of the job action unless 80% of pilots will stay home. Pilots aren't desperate enough to fight for their jobs, lives, and families.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

I am not aware of a single WJ executive who has actually ever “retired” after leaving this place.

Every member of this ELT is young and will obviously carryon in their professional lives after leaving this place.

Some things that don’t look good on an executive resume include;
! Reduced overall system capacity
! Reduced EBITDA
! Reduced customer satisfaction
! Reduced employee satisfaction and retention
! Reduced net income and operating margins

C level executives have too much pride in themselves to voluntarily destroy their own career trajectories.

It’s all talk. Carry on.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:29 am
Malfunction wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:20 am

Oh sh#t the f#ck up.
Why should I, Does reality make you worried?

The union is telling pilots "Be ready". They've been saying it for at least a year. How many of us are ready? How many put at least 3-4 or even 6 months of savings aside to be locked out or on strike?
I'd say less than 20%. The senior guys don't give a sh#t. the junior ones are leaving for AC.
The company is always 2 steps ahead.
You ain't gonna change the results of the job action unless 80% of pilots will stay home. Pilots aren't desperate enough to fight for their jobs, lives, and families.
:lol: :lol:

Hmm.. are you SW? JA? DP? AVH?

Oh wait, hey guys Clive is trying to enter the chat!

Welcome to Avcanada, Clive! Thanks for building an airline. Now piss off.

If you're not Clive, kindly still piss off.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RRJetPilot wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:26 am IF there is a strike, please open a GoFundMe and I will donate to help the striking pilot costs.
Would the union pay the pilots some kind of wage during the strike? If so, how much?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Oleo 4
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oleo 4 »

digits_ wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am
RRJetPilot wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:26 am IF there is a strike, please open a GoFundMe and I will donate to help the striking pilot costs.
Would the union pay the pilots some kind of wage during the strike? If so, how much?
Section 65 - Strike Policy of the Alpa Administrative Manual. $1,400 per month prorated if strike ends earlier.

edited to add proration under a month.

Last edited by Oleo 4 on Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Oleo 4 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:00 am
Section 65 - Strike Policy of the Alpa Administrative Manual. $1,400 per month
That's a pay raise for the FOs then? :wink:

On a more serious note, thanks for sharing!

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

I'm sorry that you've experienced such shit that you have a hard time allowing others to be optimistic.

May your flowers bloom and whiskey glass be ever-full.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

That’s the spirit management mole! :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
Tdicommuter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tdicommuter »

Why view everything as a binary problem. Either deal, or strike. Look at the American carriers we hope to replicate and see they will go years beyond with no deal to get a good one. In the meantime at the end of conciliation we can spray everyday, taxi with the APU running, stop all overtime, cause flights to misconect.... It could be a single day strike on an important day. You can picket when and where needed. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Brakes, or gas. Be ready to make good choices, follow the membership, and be a good member.

We all want better, so let's all commit to better. This is like a gym membership, if you pay the money you need to exercise to get stronger. If you pay money and never show up, it's stupid to assume somehow you get stronger.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Oleo 4 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:00 am
Section 65 - Strike Policy of the Alpa Administrative Manual. $1,400 per month prorated if strike ends earlier.

edited to add proration under a month.

That manual was written by ALPA in the USA so is that $1400 USD or CAD?
Also has anyone ever seen a deal struck during the conciliation or the cooling off period ? I haven't.
I feel like the announcement of a stike or lockout is inevitable, the only question is if the government with pre-emptively at the 11th hour legislate them back to work or do it ASAP after 00:01 the day they walk

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

hithere wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:27 am I feel like the announcement of a stike or lockout is inevitable, the only question is if the government with pre-emptively at the 11th hour legislate them back to work or do it ASAP after 00:01 the day they walk
To what end?

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

To legislate them back to work and refer the matter to an arbitrator

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

hithere wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:16 am To legislate them back to work and refer the matter to an arbitrator
Is that legal in Canada, when in a legal strike position?

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

hithere wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:16 am To legislate them back to work and refer the matter to an arbitrator
That's the action, but to what end? What would that action accomplish politically? Why would the government have any incentive to step in and do something that has already proved wildly unpopular with the public in Ontario?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Crewbunk wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:23 am
Is that legal in Canada, when in a legal strike position?
That would stress me out so much I'd be unfit for flying duty.

And that's not even a joke. I would really hate to be on an airplane piloted with a crew that most likely is feeling extreme anger and frustration towards their employer.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

There are many things that we can do to increase safety and comfort for our passengers.
  • Fly faster to get your passengers where they have paid to go.
  • The APU will help keep them comfortable on the ground.
  • Landing in a crab will decrease your risk of a wing strike.
  • Pressing on the brakes harder will slow you down quicker, increasing the amount of extra runway and your margin of safety.
  • Set up the aircraft for landing sooner on approach. There is no need to wait and then rush to be configured by 1000'.
  • If you are unstable, go around. Seriously, go the @#$! around.
  • Don't take an aircraft that is not full suitable for the flight or any airport you will be operating at.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

averageatbest wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:02 am There are many things that we can do to increase safety and comfort for our passengers.
  • Fly faster to get your passengers where they have paid to go.
  • The APU will help keep them comfortable on the ground.
  • Landing in a crab will decrease your risk of a wing strike.
  • Pressing on the brakes harder will slow you down quicker, increasing the amount of extra runway and your margin of safety.
  • Set up the aircraft for landing sooner on approach. There is no need to wait and then rush to be configured by 1000'.
  • If you are unstable, go around. Seriously, go the @#$! around.
  • Don't take an aircraft that is not full suitable for the flight or any airport you will be operating at.
Also:
Your rest is very important. A rested pilot is a safe and alert pilot. Don’t pick up the phone on your days off and don’t go to work if you’re sick. That mild sore throat after an evening at the beaver could be early symptoms of some kind of Covid variant and that upset tummy could possibly be food poisoning. Better stay home and not risk infecting your colleagues, especially if you’re out of base.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Return to “WestJet”