Meanwhile in 'Merica

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gswartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Meanwhile in 'Merica

Post by gswartz »

AVH (WJ) We would rather the airline be smaller than pay pilots more.

RI (AA) We will match and/or exceed Delta compensation.

---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Meanwhile in 'Merica

Post by rudder »

Those type of letters only come out in Canada when times are bad as an excuse to drag down WAWCON.

Make no mistake - the dramatic WAWCON updraft in the US is entirely due to pilot supply issues. They are competing for a dwindling resource and cannot afford to have hundreds of millions of dollars in assets sit idle.

Once that dynamic hits Canada, airline employers will be facing the same choices. Some are getting out ahead of the issue, others are in complete and utter denial.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:26 am Once that dynamic hits Canada, airline employers will be facing the same choices. Some are getting out ahead of the issue, others are in complete and utter denial.
With all due respect Rudder, who is getting ahead of the issue? Flair? Porter?

Like I said we're not "Merica, we're nice Canadians, we don't have the culture of fighting for our cause.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:26 amThey are competing for a dwindling resource and cannot afford to have hundreds of millions of dollars in assets sit idle.
I believe the threat we received yesterday was that the company is going to park brand new 737MAXs and continue to pay the leases instead of pulling it's pilots out of poverty.

WestJet is trying to pinch every penny it can find. They are chronically understaffed with pilots and AMEs because, unless you wear a suit and tie and sit behind a desk in a building on Aerial Place, you are just a number that is cutting into their bottom line. The safety issues are coming as a result of this greed and incompetence.

As far as I am concerned, Onyx and their shills that are pulling all of the life out of WestJet can take their golden phalluses and place them back in the shadows.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

averageatbest wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:37 am
rudder wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:26 amThey are competing for a dwindling resource and cannot afford to have hundreds of millions of dollars in assets sit idle.
I believe the threat we received yesterday was that the company is going to park brand new 737MAXs and continue to pay the leases instead of pulling it's pilots out of poverty.
If anyone believes that threat, I have a bridge to sell.

There is --NO WAY-- that any operation hinges it's continued existence on compensating its pilot group poorly. This is going to come down to resolve. Whomever has it will win. There is no better time, nor better opportunity than right now. Use it or lose it forever.

There is now a --100% compensation deficit-- with our southern peers. Draw a line at fair compensation or don't, and sit back down.

FWIW, I don't quite understand Westjets "hail Mary" strike threat though. US carriers work sometimes for years on leveraging a new contract, in the meanwhile biding their time "following the existing contract" to the letter. No extras. Sort of a "soft" work to rule. I don't quite get this "all or nothing right now or we'll strike "approach as it almost always ensures some form of government intervention.

Good luck once the Feds are involved.

Last edited by RippleRock on Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

Wow. Bizav either going to suffer greatly or wages going through the roof.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

There's a million ways a group can turn up the heat on a reluctant employer without resorting to a full blown strike.

How about all those "voluntary positions" like LITC and check pilots withdraw their interest for a short period? Line-indoc pilots alone could ramp up massive pressure if they just flew the line instead. No strike, no government intervention, and thing grind to a halt almost immediately. Any voluntary work by a union member that includes --anything other than flying the line-- undermines the collective interests of the entire body during negotiations.

I've always been amazed that there is almost no talk, and no suggestion of this.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:35 am
rudder wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:26 am Once that dynamic hits Canada, airline employers will be facing the same choices. Some are getting out ahead of the issue, others are in complete and utter denial.

Like I said we're not "Merica, we're nice Canadians, we don't have the culture of fighting for our cause.
Here is the pilot dynamic in Canada - those that want to go to AC, and those that don’t. AC affects the experience level of the candidate in its entry level pay. So AC will achieve its goal of 6000 pilots by 2025, but it may not get as many experienced pilots as would otherwise have been available where year 1-4 pay (non CA) was more reasonable. That may change in the upcoming round of bargaining between ACPA and AC.

The remainder of the industry (LCC/corporate/cargo/regional/charter/etc) are scrambling to meet their own operational needs. Some have growth plans while others are simply trying to staff status quo volume of operations. All of them are facing challenges with retention/recruitment/attrition. A handful (mostly corporate) have moved aggressively to offer ‘AC’ level compensation (CA) to ensure retention of the most qualified and experienced pilots. Others have implemented significant pay scale improvements, but still find themselves falling behind each time another operator recalibrates pay. None do so out of generosity - they do so out of necessity. And this dynamic will not be static. Pilots have realized that they are all free agents and therefore will generally move to the more lucrative setting while individually factoring in issues such as QOL and job security.

There are not enough commercial pilots in Canada to staff current and projected operations. So either there will be a culling of the herd (liquidation/consolidation/contraction) when it comes to volume of flying, or there will be a de facto ‘auction’ for Pilot services with success going to the highest bidder. This is the current dynamic in the US and look what it has reaped.

We are only at the start of the changes to come. Perhaps it will take until 2025 for Canada to fully manifest but that is where things are headed. I don’t think most operators can afford to be the last to act. But you never know.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

I would suggest, we are already there. Flair and Porter (for example) are not paying competitive wages for fun. They have expensive equipment coming and need pilots to fly it.

Westjet has to make a choice. Pay pilots, or park airplanes. If their CEO thinks parking airplanes is the best choice, so be it.

Meantime, AC is enjoying the very capable talent arriving every class from Westjet.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:42 am Pilots have realized that they are all free agents and therefore will generally move to the more lucrative setting while individually factoring in issues such as QOL and job security.
Free agents? In a very limited way if that. The fact that we are all beholden to a seniority system (at the airlines anyway) is a huge reason why the pay is so shit. They know we have the shackles on...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

sstaurus wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:06 am
rudder wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:42 am Pilots have realized that they are all free agents and therefore will generally move to the more lucrative setting while individually factoring in issues such as QOL and job security.
Free agents? In a very limited way if that. The fact that we are all beholden to a seniority system (at the airlines anyway) is a huge reason why the pay is so shit. They know we have the shackles on...
You are only trapped in a seniority system where you currently work.

Look at all of the DEC opportunities now available at Part 705 operators. Also an opportunity to reset seniority (if applicable).

An experienced pilot is worth his/her weight in gold and should be compensated as such. If that is not happening at your current employer, then you have the choice to move on. It is a choice to stay.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

kiaszceski wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:35 am

I agree with kiaszceski. While Porter has done a good job for the E2 pilots, I believe their pay structure for the Q400 is an insult to the profesional pilots that are on that machine, working every day to ensure the highest level of safety. I've said it before and I'll say it again:

"THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN E2 CAPTAIN AND Q400 CAPTAIN". They deserve the same pay.

Timetoflyagain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Timetoflyagain »

"THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN E2 CAPTAIN AND Q400 CAPTAIN". They deserve the same pay.
[/quote]

…I absolutely agree…as soon as you can also say an A220 captain is no different than a B777 Captain, a 737 Cap is the same as a 787 Cap and for that matter a C208 single pilot going into a reserve up north with icy wings should also be getting the best pay because frankly s/he has the highest chance of not making it home…ever. Status pay paired with the elimination of pay ladders (a year one Cap is the same as a year 15 Cap) is the only way we’ll ever get away from heavy means more $, more seats means more $ and seniority will only be good for bidding schedules, bases, types and vacations. I’m sure every union is ready and willing to sign up tomorrow….until then…

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

600,000USD a year that is :shock:

time to convert those licenses (if only it was that easy)

noreasterYHZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by noreasterYHZ »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:03 am There's a million ways a group can turn up the heat on a reluctant employer without resorting to a full blown strike.

How about all those "voluntary positions" like LITC and check pilots withdraw their interest for a short period? Line-indoc pilots alone could ramp up massive pressure if they just flew the line instead. No strike, no government intervention, and thing grind to a halt almost immediately. Any voluntary work by a union member that includes --anything other than flying the line-- undermines the collective interests of the entire body during negotiations.

I've always been amazed that there is almost no talk, and no suggestion of this.
Ripple,

I believe the reason is that those actions would be considered "job action" and illegal until the 21 days cooling off period

ALPA has a lot of experience in these matters and I'm sure their moves are calculated. Union officials and line pilots who have been alleged to be involved in illegal job action could held responsible for any damages

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

rudder wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:15 am
sstaurus wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:06 am
You are only trapped in a seniority system where you currently work.

Look at all of the DEC opportunities now available at Part 705 operators. Also an opportunity to reset seniority (if applicable).

An experienced pilot is worth his/her weight in gold and should be compensated as such. If that is not happening at your current employer, then you have the choice to move on. It is a choice to stay.
What? Your logic makes no sense. Seniority is exactly what keeps us all attached to our current employers because it’s worth so much to us and makes it extremely undesirable to ‘just move’. Of course it is a difficult choice. Resetting seniority is not an ‘opportunity’.. it’s a consequence that airlines know full well we don’t want to do.

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

flyingcanuck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:01 pm 600,000USD a year that is :shock:

If you have decent experience it is easy enough. Conversion is easy, and getting an EB2 visa although a lengthy process, is proving successful for many applicants. If you really want it, go for it!

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

JHR wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:54 pm
flyingcanuck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:01 pm 600,000USD a year that is :shock:

If you have decent experience it is easy enough. Conversion is easy, and getting an EB2 visa although a lengthy process, is proving successful for many applicants. If you really want it, go for it!
Don't they want like 10000 hrs

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

RippleRock wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:03 am There's a million ways a group can turn up the heat on a reluctant employer without resorting to a full blown strike.
There's no talk because an airline's default position during labour action (be it big or small) is to lockout it's pilots. No airline will allow it's pilots to chisel away the bottom line and endlessly drag it's name through the mud. They will take the nuclear option every time because they know it puts an extreme amount of pressure on the membership while also forcing the government to get involved. And recent history has the government favoring the corp.

There's no room for half measures. You either strike or you don't. If you want to turn up the heat, fly the contract. No favors.

Return to “WestJet”