American Airlines, one of the world’s largest airlines, has announced plans to pay its pilots up to $590,000 per year.

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: American Airlines, one of the world’s largest airlines, has announced plans to pay its pilots up to $590,000 per yea

Post by throwawaycorporate »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:20 am I agree with you, wholeheartedly. Pay needs to be addressed.

I understand they don’t get destroyed by taxation the same way that you and I are, but it is nowhere near what is encountered in the US. There’s a hell of a lot of reasons to go into looking at our markets, taxation and government policy. We’re just not the same.

I just don’t see a 500,000$ paycheque being sustainable for any Canadian airline considering the way they are run and the system under which they are run. Again, it does not mean we cannot do better though.
If US Legacies can pay $640,000CAD for Narrowbody Captains and $795,000CAD for Widebody Captains, I see no reason why we couldn't see 475K and 590K CAD respectively. It's still a 25% discount to US pilot wages.

I would bet big money that if the U.S ever opened an easier path to a working visa for Canadians, that we would quickly see salaries like that here.
---------- ADS -----------

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: American Airlines, one of the world’s largest airlines, has announced plans to pay its pilots up to $590,000 per yea

Post by tbayav8er »

Another point I would like to make is that I don't believe our CEO's at airlines in Canada are working for a discount. I'm fairly certain they are getting compensation equal to their American counterparts.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Air Canada’s CEO got a 233% pay increase to 12.38 million. Enough to pay 250 Jazz fos at the current pay (approx 50k per year).

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

tbayav8er wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:23 pm Another point I would like to make is that I don't believe our CEO's at airlines in Canada are working for a discount. I'm fairly certain they are getting compensation equal to their American counterparts.
Unfortunately the CEO’s can easily get visas to work in Canada so Canadian airlines have to compete. They don’t need to compete for pilots because they know Canadian pilots are stuck.

eurotrash
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eurotrash »

Stinky wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:32 am
tbayav8er wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:23 pm Another point I would like to make is that I don't believe our CEO's at airlines in Canada are working for a discount. I'm fairly certain they are getting compensation equal to their American counterparts.
Unfortunately the CEO’s can easily get visas to work in Canada so Canadian airlines have to compete. They don’t need to compete for pilots because they know Canadian pilots are stuck.
What magical visa do executives get that pilots can't

Honest question.

Any pilot could get a H1B with employer sponsorship and certainly experienced pilots could get EB2 visas for a greencard without sponsorship

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

eurotrash wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:11 pm
Stinky wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:32 am
What magical visa do executives get that pilots can't

Honest question.

Any pilot could get a H1B with employer sponsorship and certainly experienced pilots could get EB2 visas for a greencard without sponsorship
Eb-5. Spend your money and buy yourself in. Available to all. Just gotta drop a cool 1M USD. I assume most execs could buy that.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”