Flair Pilots

Discuss topics related to Flair Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rando
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flair Pilots

Post by rando »

cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:07 am Calling on all pilots but especially ALPA Pilots to contact your reps and petition to get Flair pilots DOH for pay at any ALPA carrier that hires them during this period of uncertainty.
To be clear, for any that decide the risk of staying is too much for them and they move now.
Should Flair rebound, the deal would be rescinded, I feel like if I was in this position I might hang on for dear life and be the one who shuts out the lights but if there was a more palatable option where I could move more latterly, I might consider it.
Wut? Lol
---------- ADS -----------

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:07 am Calling on all pilots but especially ALPA Pilots to contact your reps and petition to get Flair pilots DOH for pay at any ALPA carrier that hires them during this period of uncertainty.
To be clear, for any that decide the risk of staying is too much for them and they move now.
Should Flair rebound, the deal would be rescinded, I feel like if I was in this position I might hang on for dear life and be the one who shuts out the lights but if there was a more palatable option where I could move more latterly, I might consider it.
I’m trying to imagine that phone call. Would my ALPA rep just hang up on me, or call me an idiot, then hang up on me?

Should the airline fail, the more senior members at Flair will be fine. Many will go back to being expats. The junior members are mostly young and haven’t been there long so this won’t have a long lasting impact on their careers. Considering other airlines in Canada could absorb the entire Flair pilot pool in about two months, they will be okay long term.

I wish everyone the best and especially their families in this stressful time.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
JakeLRS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JakeLRS »

Lots of gloom being sent from non-flair pilots.

I'm very curious on what the internal consensus is with the entire situation. Has there been any communication from executives to any staff?

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

My absolute #1 vote for the dumbest post ever.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Yea man. I agree with everyone else. You’ve wrote some pretty dumb things here in the past but this takes the cake. What are you thinking?

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

I'm very curious on what the internal consensus is with the entire situation. Has there been any communication from executives to any staff?
Heard that CEO addressed most employees and apologized for his role in the 5 day overdue lease defaults and opening the door for the repossessions.

Flying full schedule with no cancellations now. Activated 3 planes that were planned for the summer schedule and wet-leasing one. Here for the long term. Good support from 777 and other lessors and insurance companies.

To expect a media response re: why a “big airline that feels threatened” took the “drastic” measure to facilitate repossession.

May have to alter growth this year slightly if the 4 a/c cannot be returned due global demand for MAX’s.

Happy for the Flair employees. Must have been an anxious weekend. Business as usual apparently.

No Smoke, No Fire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by No Smoke, No Fire »

vrefplus5 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:31 pm

To expect a media response re: why a “big airline that feels threatened” took the “drastic” measure to facilitate repossession.
Huh?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

No Smoke, No Fire wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:41 pm

Huh?
Basically, Flair is saying they were only a few days late on payments (as if that matters, late is late) and presumably WJ had something to do with the repos.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9548294/flai ... ase-rival/

Give me a break. :roll:

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

RippleRock wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:27 pm
Thanks, that’s what I was going for, actually I realized it would be received this way because pilots are stubbornly stuck in the old way and refuse to change!
Therefore, nothing will ever change.
In the south they are fighting over pilots and here we will watch a couple airlines go under and flood the market with fresh pilots who go the bottom of whichever list instead of to the highest bidder.
Oh well, sorry for my optimism, should’ve been a realist like usual and said nothing!

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:14 pm
Thanks, that’s what I was going for, actually I realized it would be received this way because pilots are stubbornly stuck in the old way and refuse to change!
In the south they are fighting over pilots and here we will watch a couple airlines go under and flood the market with fresh pilots who go the bottom of whichever list instead of to the highest bidder.
Oh well, sorry for my optimism, should’ve been a realist like usual and said nothing!
Dude, when you're the only one who is defending your own proposal while everyone else finds it ridiculous, who do you think the problem is? Them or you? LOL!!!!!

I have to agree with everyone else that said it, this might be one of the dumbest posts I've read. Know when to fold em there dude. Not your finest post. Take the L and move along.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Were you really high when you wrote that? Be honest! :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon
cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:19 pm
Were you really high when you wrote that? Be honest! :rolleyes:
A little but what a world it would be if we looked out for each other 🤔

Kardow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kardow »

rooster wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:09 pm

Dude, when you're the only one who is defending your own proposal while everyone else finds it ridiculous, who do you think the problem is? Them or you? LOL!!!!!

I have to agree with everyone else that said it, this might be one of the dumbest posts I've read. Know when to fold em there dude. Not your finest post. Take the L and move along.
To be honest, if all pilots/unions would try to achieve that, we would be in a much better industry state than what we have now. He is talking about DOH for pay I believe, not DOH for seniority (which would never ever work for obvious reasons). We are one of the few professions where even with 20+ years of experience, when you start with another company, you get paid the same as the fresh 1500-hour pilot getting his first 705 FO job on a jet. It sucks when you lose your job and you have to start all over again, not only for seniority, but pay wise as well. Would you ever see an engineer that lost his job accepting a junior engineer pay with another company? Or a doctor? Hell no.

Some regionals in the USA are starting to do this, like Envoy Air: "NEW Industry Experience Credit — Pilots with previous Part-121 experience can count their years of service toward compensation rates, vacation days and retirement benefits at Envoy. Those hours are also eligible for Captain Pay as a First Officer."

So, no, this guy is not the problem, the problem is what we think we are worth in this industry. Do what you want, but I will be giving a call to my rep talking about YOS pay carry-in for Flair pilots even though I 100% know it will not happen this time. At least if we start having that discussion, maybe things will change at some point.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Not doubling down on anything, I believe experienced pilots are worth more than what is showing up to the ground schools, the system is broken and is what ties you to a sinking ship like a seniority anchor.
I don’t like what I see at Jazz right now and will be the one to shut off the lights if it goes down, why, my seniority and pension and pay anchor me here.
20,000 hours and outside of Porter, I’d be looking at a huge pay cut and bottom FO spot somewhere, I’ve actually decided if Jazz goes down, I’m done with this god forsaken industry.
But your selfishness is why this industry is broken, change is needed but seems few will embrace it, I’m not surprised just a little disheartened!

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Kardow wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:42 pm

To be honest, if all pilots/unions would try to achieve that, we would be in a much better industry state than what we have now. He is talking about DOH for pay I believe, not DOH for seniority (which would never ever work for obvious reasons). We are one of the few professions where even with 20+ years of experience, when you start with another company, you get paid the same as the fresh 1500-hour pilot getting his first 705 FO job on a jet. It sucks when you lose your job and you have to start all over again, not only for seniority, but pay wise as well. Would you ever see an engineer that lost his job accepting a junior engineer pay with another company? Or a doctor? Hell no.

Some regionals in the USA are starting to do this, like Envoy Air: "NEW Industry Experience Credit — Pilots with previous Part-121 experience can count their years of service toward compensation rates, vacation days and retirement benefits at Envoy. Those hours are also eligible for Captain Pay as a First Officer."

So, no, this guy is not the problem, the problem is what we think we are worth in this industry. Do what you want, but I will be giving a call to my rep talking about YOS pay carry-in for Flair pilots even though I 100% know it will not happen this time. At least if we start having that discussion, maybe things will change at some point.
Hopefully, the vocal minority is here and some traction can be gained outside of this board!
Cheers

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Heard that CEO addressed most employees and apologized for his role in the 5 day overdue lease defaults and opening the door for the repossessions.

Flying full schedule with no cancellations now. Activated 3 planes that were planned for the summer schedule and wet-leasing one. Here for the long term. Good support from 777 and other lessors and insurance companies.

May have to alter growth this year slightly if the 4 a/c cannot be returned due global demand for MAX’s.

Happy for the Flair employees. Must have been an anxious weekend. Business as usual apparently.
That's excellent!

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

vrefplus5 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:31 pm Good support from 777 and other lessors and insurance companies.
As in 777 is paying the lessors?.. illegally?.....

Don't think it will be "business as usual" when the CTA gets wind of this unfortunately. Jones keeps digging himself a deeper hole.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

You haven't been reading JerryRig's anti-vaxx posts.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Arnie Pye wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:49 am
That's awesome. :smt040

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

mantogasrsrwy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:57 pm
Arnie Pye wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:49 am

That's awesome. :smt040
Nope, supporting other pilots is far more dumb than paranoia and conspiracy!

Return to “Flair Airlines”