Australian VS Canadian flying in US

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

goldfingeraviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Australian VS Canadian flying in US

Post by goldfingeraviation »

Hey everyone,

This has been on my mind lately because I’m trying to wrap my head around why certain US companies are sponsoring work visas for Australians pilots and not Canadians? Maybe a dumb question im not sure but I thought I’d ask cause maybe some of you guys might actually know.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Australian VS Canadian flying in US

Post by throwawaycorporate »

E-3 Visa. It's a non-immigrant work visa. Australians are eligible, Canadians aren't.

This has nothing to do with companies picking favourites.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

It's a part of a trade agreement between Australia and USA. Australians can work for Regional carriers only. New Zealand citizens can not. A NZ citizen can work in Australia by right but not in America as an extended right.

When NAFTA (Nearly Always Favours The Americans) was renegotiated into the USMCA (U.S. Must Conquer All) we missed our opportunity to negotiate free labour movement for Pilots. Many other professions are given this right though trade agreements (Doctors and Accountants come to mind).

goldfingeraviation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by goldfingeraviation »

Arnie Pye wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:34 pm It's a part of a trade agreement between Australia and USA. Australians can work for Regional carriers only. New Zealand citizens can not. A NZ citizen can work in Australia by right but not in America as an extended right.

When NAFTA (Nearly Always Favours The Americans) was renegotiated into the USMCA (U.S. Must Conquer All) we missed our opportunity to negotiate free labour movement for Pilots. Many other professions are given this right though trade agreements (Doctors and Accountants come to mind).
Darn yeah that’s too bad. Thanks for the reply I didn’t know they can only work for regional carriers. One of my good buddies is currently in ground school with Kallitta on the 747 and said half the class is aussies so it made me wonder. I’d like to get down there some day, I think I have a few ways I can make it happen but for now I just got to get my hours up.

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmm...bacon »

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but...

one wonders if ATAC is/has pressured the government to specifically exclude pilots from American trade deals in order to avoid a Canadian labour shortage..

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Honestly, if I was an American pilot. I wouldn't want some dirty Canadian pilot coming over and settling for the shitty jobs just because they pay better than back home. Even their shit jobs pay better than a 777 at AC. Everyone here is comparing Delta pay to AC, meanwhile some Q400 captain is making more than a senior 777 cpt.

You know how we don't like foreign pilots coming over and helping the shit companies continue suppressing wages? Yeah, I doubt Americans like it either.

Return to “Employment Forum”