Red Bull lands plane on BURJ AL ARAB Helipad

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Red Bull lands plane on BURJ AL ARAB Helipad

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-brmk1ua1g

Pilot Luke Czepiela lands an aeroplane on the world famous helipad on top of the Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, the iconic seven-star hotel in Dubai. To land on the helipad, 27m in diameter, he completed over 650 practice landings before the attempt on top of the 56-story hotel.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Red Bull lands plane on BURJ AL ARAB Helipad

Post by photofly »

Fabulous flying, but the shots of the attractive but concerned (later, cheering) women are rather gratuitous.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Floop
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Floop »

photofly wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:27 am Fabulous flying, but the shots of the attractive but concerned (later, cheering) women are rather gratuitous.

Really? That's what you took away from the whole thing? Two shots of Chandra Patey and presumably the pilot's partner. Heaven forbid. How are we supposed to focus on the flying when there's a whole 2 seconds of footage of women in the video!?

Grow up.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Floop wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:05 am
photofly wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:27 am Fabulous flying, but the shots of the attractive but concerned (later, cheering) women are rather gratuitous.

Really? That's what you took away from the whole thing?
Yes, actually. What a pity they spoiled it.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Am I the only one that's not really super impressed? As far as Red Bull stunts go, this one doesn't seem that impressive. I think a lot of Alaskan bush planes/pilots could do this stunt.

Note that there was also a shot of cheering men in the video for those who find that important...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

The question is:

Way to go Dubai! You're so rad! You do the most fun things ever! Like what an amazing hip, cool place. I can't wait to visit Dubai and be rad like people in Dubai. "Redbull gives you wings!" :lol: :roll:

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:16 am Am I the only one that's not really super impressed? As far as Red Bull stunts go, this one doesn't seem that impressive. I think a lot of Alaskan bush planes/pilots could do this stunt.

Note that there was also a shot of cheering men in the video for those who find that important...
Impressive no not really, but now I want a red bull so I'd say they hit the mark. I would wager there are many super cub pilots out there who would be able to accomplish this with less than a weekend of prep.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

digits_ wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:16 am Am I the only one that's not really super impressed? As far as Red Bull stunts go, this one doesn't seem that impressive. I think a lot of Alaskan bush planes/pilots could do this stunt.
The consequences of touching down late aren't that severe, but come in too low/too early and that's likely to be fatal. Normally we leave the combination of short and extreme precision to carrier pilots, don't we? And they have all sorts of approach angle aids.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:55 am
The consequences of touching down late aren't that severe, but come in too low/too early and that's likely to be fatal. Normally we leave the combination of short and extreme precision to carrier pilots, don't we? And they have all sorts of approach angle aids.
I'm sure you've seen the youtube footage of STOL competition. They touch down in a fraction of the 27 meters available.
For example https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... et-shorter.
Frank Knapp of Palmer, Alaska—who won the overall event last year with a total score of 25 feet—retained that title this year, with a slightly higher overall score of 33 feet. (Under the Valdez STOL competition rules, takeoff begins from the starting line, and judges measure where the main wheels leave the ground; on landing, mains cannot touch down before the line, and distance is measured from where the mains stop.) However, he set a new Valdez takeoff record, lifting off his highly modified Piper Cub in 11 feet.

Dan Reynolds of Dawson City, Yukon, Canada, captured second overall in the event—and set a new Valdez landing record of 9.5 feet, breaking the previous record of 10 feet, five inches set by Knapp just last year.

Is the precision extreme? Just because the consequences of missing your target include death, doesn't mean that extreme precision is required.

27m is 88 ft

Landing in 10 feet, or 25 ft. Still gives you a healthy safety margin. It's not that narrow either.

I was way more impressed by their flight through a tunnel or the attempted pilot/plane swap.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I guess I'm easily pleased then. I thought it was great.

Return to “General Comments”