Interview dress code

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Interview dress code

Post by Ash Ketchum »

noreasterYHZ wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:42 am
cjp wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 am
cdnavater wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:50 am

To be fair, this is the first I’m hearing of this!
How many classes were run at half(or less) capacity?
The hiring for 2022 without Jazz candidates left a deficit of 264(I believe) Jazz pilots who should have been hired.
Are you saying AC ran some courses at half instead of filling them up with Jazz pilots?
Either way, AC is on record saying they are hav8ng no trouble finding pilots.
You can thank Westjet for that.
WJ is going to pony up their contract and that supply will dry up pretty quick. Nobody wants to be at the bottom of AC's seniority list. It's literally the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

AC is on record for saying a lot of things...Aeroplan deal too expensive, no recalls till 2023, you can't compare yourselves to UPS because they are door to door delivery but you can compare to Atlas...oh wait...Atlas pays that now?! OK they are a non comparable too

The company will always gas light stuff to give excuses on why they can't pay. Key is not listening to it
I hope WestJet pilots get what they deserve. That will help the entire industry and hopefully AC will then be forced to fix flat pay.
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

cdnavater wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:50 am
flying4dollars wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:53 pm
cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:09 pm

Not, I repeat not an ACPA supporter but just a couple thoughts, the pay is not below supply/demand market rates because the classes remain full. Also, the wages were set long, long before the shortages started to materialize.
The company was not desperate to rid itself of the flat pay, it attached several concessions because it believed the pilots were desperate to get rid of it.
Classes are full because of Jazz flow. Without the Jazz hires, classes were running at half capacity, in some cases less, just to clarify.
To be fair, this is the first I’m hearing of this!
How many classes were run at half(or less) capacity?
The hiring for 2022 without Jazz candidates left a deficit of 264(I believe) Jazz pilots who should have been hired.
Are you saying AC ran some courses at half instead of filling them up with Jazz pilots?
Either way, AC is on record saying they are hav8ng no trouble finding pilots.
Take a look at the new hire classes from September onwards (and you can go even further back), classes were running around 30-35 if that. Take away the 10 or so per class from Jazz, and you're at 20-25 that were OTS. Towards the end of 2022, when the Jazz flow resumed to make up the majority of hires, the class sizes have been around 40-42 every two weeks. So yes, without Jazz pilots, classes were only about half full. AC wanted 40-50 per class mind you. That was their publicly stated goal.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Air Canada publicly (and internally) stated 80 a month. While it’s a great goal, the variation between classes has much less to do with reduced demand and more with capacity of the training department. Week by week, month by month, there is feedback between training and hiring. It’s not uncommon for Training to send messages back to Hiring to slow things down, the capacity just isn’t there.

As one notes, a lot of training is done overseas. That helps. But …. you still need contract Instructors, IOETCs, Check Pilots … and one of the biggest Road Blocks has been Transport Canada Inspectors for checking and licensing.

I remember Barb Pope (her absence is still felt!) once saying that 80-90 a month is workable, but only for a few months. Then a couple reduced months are necessary to catch up.

So yes, you will see 45 person classes followed by 30 person classes. It’s not because 15 people didn’t show up, or they couldn’t find 15 people who didn’t want to be Air Canada pilots. More likely they didn’t have anywhere to put them.

Look at the gaps between stages of each course of Candidates. They’re having a tough time keeping up.

Return to “Air Canada”