Interview dress code

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

IOV747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Interview dress code

Post by IOV747 »

Hey guys,

Interview is coming up, may be a dumb question but not sure about the dress code that AC expects. I've heard different things. Some have told me suit, others say business causal. Would really appreciate any inputs.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

The Raven
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Interview dress code

Post by The Raven »

I’ve been retired 5 years so maybe standards have changed, however I’d suggest a suit.

Best of luck.

dumpsterfire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dumpsterfire »

I'd wear an obviously expensive suit

Tells the company you're independently wealthy and can afford the poverty starting wages. Nothing is more important than a visual confirmation you are willing to pay your dues after already paying your dues

Just tell them it's always been your dream to be among the lowest paid pilots in the world and tell them you love cozy relationships between the executives and the pilots

Good luck

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

The Raven wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:27 pm I’ve been retired 5 years so maybe standards have changed, however I’d suggest a suit.
I agree.

I would suggest a dark suit, light shirt, dark tie. Freshly pressed. Shined shoes.

There is nothing wrong with presenting a professional appearance.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I always though of the saying “dress for success.” I’d suggest a suit and tie. You are interviewing for a professional position and you want to be taken seriously so show them that you are taking it seriously as well.
Just my two cents of course. Lol.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Suit and tie.

Nothing flashy, dress conservative.

Protonpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Protonpilot »

dumpsterfire wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:11 pm I'd wear an obviously expensive suit

Tells the company you're independently wealthy and can afford the poverty starting wages. Nothing is more important than a visual confirmation you are willing to pay your dues after already paying your dues

Just tell them it's always been your dream to be among the lowest paid pilots in the world and tell them you love cozy relationships between the executives and the pilots

Good luck
Don't pay any attention to this, a complete a**hole. He's totally forgotten what it's like to start out in this industry when you need a helping hand and some friendly advice.

Wear your best suit, fresh haircut, shine your shoes. Show them that this interview is important to you. Be sincere, be ready to tell them your story, why you want to join AC, and the steps you've taken to make yourself a great candidate. Good luck!

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

I'd recommend suit, tie and polished shoes, if you have a beard give it a trim, fresh hair cut, if you don't have a beard obviously shave. If you're a woman, one simple earring per side and tidy hair.

When I interviewed someone showed up in a open collar dress shirt and an Adidas track style light jacket. May be coincidence but he wasn't hired.

Freshredmeat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Freshredmeat »

Protonpilot wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 am
dumpsterfire wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:11 pm I'd wear an obviously expensive suit

Good luck
Don't pay any attention to this, a complete a**hole. He's totally forgotten what it's like to start out in this industry when you need a helping hand and some friendly advice.

Wear your best suit, fresh haircut, shine your shoes. Show them that this interview is important to you. Be sincere, be ready to tell them your story, why you want to join AC, and the steps you've taken to make yourself a great candidate. Good luck!
Lol ProtonShill

He literally said to wear a good suit & act happy to be there

That's exactly what you do

The koolaid of being at AC wears off pretty quick when you're paid less than the garbage man picking up your empty kraft dinner boxes at your crash pad

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Business formal if you have. Business casual as a last resort.

Don't be like the guy on the right who walks like he's wearing springs.

IOV747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IOV747 »

Thanks a lot to everyone for your inputs. Really appreciate it! Suit it is.

Cheers

furloughedAC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by furloughedAC »

Good advice so far, just one thing I'd add. Have some kind of binding for your logbook if you've got a printout of a digital logbook. I just had it in printed off and in an accordion folder with some post its for important dates (new job, new type etc). The airbus CP who did my interview did not seem too impressed with my shoddy logbook vessel. It didn't cost me the job but I'd spend 20$ and get something decent looking. Seems overly superficial and unnecessary but you're basically just trying to make the best impression you can in the half hour or so that you have.

Good luck!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Dress for the job you want. The uniform looks a lot like a traditional suit so start there.

For my last interview my goal was for it to be my last interview so I wanted every advantage I could get, however small. Since I had to buy a new suit anyways I chose one in the same colour as the airline I was interviewing with. Same colour shirt (freshly pressed) and tie too, and believe it or not your shoes make a difference so make sure they’re clean and shiny.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Make sure that whatever you decide to wear, that you wear it in advance a few times so you feel comfortable in it. If you're not used to wearing suits or ties, you might feel very watched when you do wear them. Could result in an awkward first impression.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

Yea definitely wear a suit. Are they still doing interviews online or have they switched to in person? Cause if they're over Microsoft teams, then slippers in the comfort of your own home would do. Also I heard of a interviewee that wore their WestJet pilots uniform to their AC interview. Not sure if they were ever hired but I don't recommend doing that.

Tigger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tigger »

Good luck
🙄

I wish I knew your employee number so I could bid around you (or make you bid around me.) You sound like an utterly miserable SOB and I hope I never have to share a cockpit with you. Pure poison. I pity the poor souls who get stuck with you.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Tigger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:39 am

Good luck
🙄

I wish I knew your employee number so I could bid around you (or make you bid around me.) You sound like an utterly miserable SOB and I hope I never have to share a cockpit with you. Pure poison. I pity the poor souls who get stuck with you.
I get where you are coming from. I understand that you prefer positivity and optimism.

I believe that you lack the context of financial hardships caused by low wages while working as a pilot at a major airline in today's economic situation.

I'm f***ing pissed at the attitudes of airline management these days, especially at my current airline. While I am optimistic that the industry is about to address the pay issues, the way it's going to be precipitated is through pilots expressing their frustrations in a way that cannot be ignored.

newcomer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by newcomer »

Good luck
🙄

Wow! Just wow! Calling your colleagues SOB? Very classy and professional :roll:
I'm sure your manager would love to know your employee number as well, given the Air Canada image you portray to the public...
PS: unlike you, he hasn't called anyone names. You must be a delight to fly with too.

dumpsterfire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dumpsterfire »

Good luck
🙄

Tony the Tigger, I assume you're going around saying the pay & contract- they're Greeeeeaat!

The irony is you're probably the guy everyone is avoiding because you clearly have your head up somewhere or up someone

On your next layover, go talk to a United, Delta, or pretty much any foreign crew and tell them what flatpay or what a RP is, how much they make, and brag about how much the skipper makes.

For a closing performance, explain 50% DH pay, begging for release every pairing and when you got your schedule this month

I promise they won't even know how to respond other than to go unfuk yourself because it's hurting the whole industry

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

I heard a rumour that someone showed up for PIT in jeans and a t-shirt…. I wonder if that’s what they wore to the interview!

Return to “Air Canada”