Sunwing vs Jazz

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

capt_Z
Rank 3
Rank 3

Sunwing vs Jazz

Post by capt_Z »

Looking at the current market situation. What's a better choice Sunwing or Jazz?
---------- ADS -----------

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Sunwing vs Jazz

Post by nohojob »

Have a look at the pay scale.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

It depends on where you want to end up.

If you want to go to WestJet, go to Sunwing.
If you want to go to Air Canada, go to Sunwing.
If you want to go to Jazz, go to Jazz.

MaxAuto
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by MaxAuto »

capt_Z wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:35 am Looking at the current market situation. What's a better choice Sunwing or Jazz?
Are you a potential cadet finishing school?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

capt_Z wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:35 am Looking at the current market situation. What's a better choice Sunwing or Jazz?
Anything but jazz. Trust me

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:07 am
Why should we trust you, ever heard the expression, never trust anyone who says “trust me”
You’ve been very vocal about your disdain for Jazz but very, extremely lite on details. Why don’t you back up your opinion with actual facts, “anything but Jazz” that is a pretty extreme statement, literally anything but Jazz. Holy crap, Jazz has fallen from grace.
I can think of may places I would put behind Jazz but I didn’t claim what you did.
I would go anywhere but Porter right now!

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

cdnavater wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:59 pm
Why should we trust you, ever heard the expression, never trust anyone who says “trust me”
You’ve been very vocal about your disdain for Jazz but very, extremely lite on details. Why don’t you back up your opinion with actual facts, “anything but Jazz” that is a pretty extreme statement, literally anything but Jazz. Holy crap, Jazz has fallen from grace.
I can think of may places I would put behind Jazz but I didn’t claim what you did.
Seems like you’re chasing my posts. Lol.

Fine, I’ll explain a little more.

Firstly, I was being a tad sarcastic with my “trust me” post. Obviously , everyone knows not to blindly trust anyone. Lol

My experience at jazz took every ounce of effort from me. Everything from the 3 hour queue times on hold to talk to crew sked about a hotel room I’m supposed to have but isn’t booked or to the ever dwindling routes and terrible maintenance. And least but not least, sub par pay. Ac flow? What?

You may not like porter, fine. I didn’t say go there. I said anywhere but jazz.

Edit 1: forgot to mention 60% deductions at jazz

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:25 pm

Seems like you’re chasing my posts. Lol.

Fine, I’ll explain a little more.

Firstly, I was being a tad sarcastic with my “trust me” post. Obviously , everyone knows not to blindly trust anyone. Lol

My experience at jazz took every ounce of effort from me. Everything from the 3 hour queue times on hold to talk to crew sked about a hotel room I’m supposed to have but isn’t booked or to the ever dwindling routes and terrible maintenance. And least but not least, sub par pay. Ac flow? What?

You may not like porter, fine. I didn’t say go there. I said anywhere but jazz.
Not chasing, just calling out bs when I see it.
I’ve been at Jazz nearly 20, years and “terrible” is not an adjective I would ascribe to its maintenance, excellent yes.
Every single operator had issues with hotels last year, hotels were not honouring their bookings for aircrew because they made more from other bookings. As for Crewsked, imagine you have enough for normal operations, even for some irrops, but the whole system falls apart. Multiple cancellations and multiple crews with no hotel room, yah there’s going to be some hold time.
You had certain expectations that weren’t met, I believe they are being more upfront about certain things, like flow but to claim Jazz is the worst based on those things, I suspect you’re just basing it on last summer not the whole picture.
Last year was very trying, no question but your crusade against Jazz is approaching defamation territory, you should preface everything with in my opinion.
As for Porter, I have absolutely nothing against them, my statement was simply to point out, without justification or reasoning, it’s just hyperbole.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Tell us why Jazz then? No arguments or attitude, just would like to see why from your perspective. Thanks and have a relaxed and stress free day.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:17 pm

Tell us why Jazz then? No arguments or attitude, just would like to see why from your perspective. Thanks and have a relaxed and stress free day.
Due respect, I’m not on here constantly trying to deter pilots from going to Jazz and steer them towards Porter, you are which is why I asked you to tell us why Jazz is so bad. To which you provided examples that every single carrier had issues with last summer, however;
The protections provided with a very established contract, include the pension, benefits, STD, LTD with no forced retraining unless it is equal or more pay than your pre-disability income. You could literally retire on LTD. pay guarantee is sked or better, published scheduled days off guaranteed, no grey days, great reserve rules(used to be better before best fit), great vacation pay, paid training including hotels for initial training regardless if it’s at your base. Per diems are some of the highest around, choice of AC and base. YOS(formula) for upgrade, a union who looks out for all the pilots eg; company wanted to increase pay for trainers, of which I am one who would have benefited, union says no, all or none. All improvements since the 2015 contract has gone to the junior pilots, all, not a single improvement for my tenure.
Please stop degrading our maintenance, every single maintenance person I’ve encountered is great and know their job, Jazz does not skimp on maintenance or safety. Last couple years have been the worst for clearing defects as there has been a supply shortage for many parts, this is not maintenance’s fault.
We are to my knowledge the only company in Canada that has the three MEL policy, which means if we have three or more MEL’s it has to be approved by maintenance quality control and the OCM and lastly as PIC I have turned down an aircraft with three due to a limitation where I was going, they asked if there was anything that would have me change my mind, enough fuel to return to destination which removed weight, no problem, never questioned my decision.
There are many many non quantifiable benefits to being a Jazz pilot, least of which to me is flow, I would much prefer we had a significant pay increase for all pilots but mostly at the bottom and remove the flow carrot.
Last on my list is how long Jazz has been around and the long term CPA with no current competition, lost many years of bargaining capital to get to this point. If you come to Jazz, the pay starts out lower than most if not all but the high end is not beat by any, which eventually all will be there. I’m not including Porter E175 scale, not the same but I’m willing to bet a quick break down in cost per available seat is close to what we make.
If I were just starting out and had 30 years left, I might roll the dice on a new operation, less than that I would consider staying put with my seniority number.
Take care

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

I'd rather spend a year in jail than a year at Jazz.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

daedalusx wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:31 pm I'd rather spend a year in jail than a year at Jazz.
:prayer:

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

cdnavater wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:25 am

Due respect, I’m not on here constantly trying to deter pilots from going to Jazz and steer them towards Porter, you are which is why I asked you to tell us why Jazz is so bad. To which you provided examples that every single carrier had issues with last summer, however;
The protections provided with a very established contract, include the pension, benefits, STD, LTD with no forced retraining unless it is equal or more pay than your pre-disability income. You could literally retire on LTD. pay guarantee is sked or better, published scheduled days off guaranteed, no grey days, great reserve rules(used to be better before best fit), great vacation pay, paid training including hotels for initial training regardless if it’s at your base. Per diems are some of the highest around, choice of AC and base. YOS(formula) for upgrade, a union who looks out for all the pilots eg; company wanted to increase pay for trainers, of which I am one who would have benefited, union says no, all or none. All improvements since the 2015 contract has gone to the junior pilots, all, not a single improvement for my tenure.
Please stop degrading our maintenance, every single maintenance person I’ve encountered is great and know their job, Jazz does not skimp on maintenance or safety. Last couple years have been the worst for clearing defects as there has been a supply shortage for many parts, this is not maintenance’s fault.
We are to my knowledge the only company in Canada that has the three MEL policy, which means if we have three or more MEL’s it has to be approved by maintenance quality control and the OCM and lastly as PIC I have turned down an aircraft with three due to a limitation where I was going, they asked if there was anything that would have me change my mind, enough fuel to return to destination which removed weight, no problem, never questioned my decision.
There are many many non quantifiable benefits to being a Jazz pilot, least of which to me is flow, I would much prefer we had a significant pay increase for all pilots but mostly at the bottom and remove the flow carrot.
Last on my list is how long Jazz has been around and the long term CPA with no current competition, lost many years of bargaining capital to get to this point. If you come to Jazz, the pay starts out lower than most if not all but the high end is not beat by any, which eventually all will be there. I’m not including Porter E175 scale, not the same but I’m willing to bet a quick break down in cost per available seat is close to what we make.
If I were just starting out and had 30 years left, I might roll the dice on a new operation, less than that I would consider staying put with my seniority number.
Take care
You’re a joke. Lucky for you to have been at jazz for so Long. You laugh at junior pilots who make next to nothing and tell them to leave jazz to improve your own life. You literally said: “you can retire on LTD”. How do you think LTD is paid out? By the company? No. The rest of the group. Which is why the deductions are so insane. The benefit package is great, compared to all, if you enjoy paying 1000$ a month for it.

Sked or better exists at many airlines. This isn’t new.
What airline doesn’t give paid training anymore including hotels if away from base? Also, If it’s at your base, why the hell would you need a hotel?

The vacation pay at most other airlines is almost identical.
I’m sure you enjoy summers off cuz you’re top seniority.

2% of my salary went to a union that did absolutely nothing but say no to the company for “the better good”. What better good? How many years are people gonna wait for them to fix the flow or improved wages.

Per diem rates are fairly similar across all airlines.

Oh, and you wanna talk “max three MELs per fin?” I have flight plans saved with at least 6 MELs that were not cabin related. and there was no approval by maintenance for the excess of three. So yea, my experience with jazz maintenance was horrible. Sure the guys are good. I’d trust those guys with my life, but The operation needs work.

You’re living in the past. Go fly a Fokker 28.

So yeah, back to my first point. Anything but jazz

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Take care
You’re a joke. Lucky for you to have been at jazz for so Long. You laugh at junior pilots who make next to nothing and tell them to leave jazz to improve your own life. You literally said: “you can retire on LTD”. How do you think LTD is paid out? By the company? No. The rest of the group. Which is why the deductions are so insane. The benefit package is great, compared to all, if you enjoy paying 1000$ a month for it.

What airline doesn’t give paid training anymore including hotels if away from base? Also, If it’s at your base, why the hell would you need a hotel?

2% of my salary went to a union that did absolutely nothing but say no to the company for “the better good”. What better good? How many years are people gonna wait for them to fix the flow or improved wages.

Oh, and you wanna talk “max three MELs per fin?” I have flight plans saved with at least 6 MELs that were not cabin related. and there was no approval by maintenance for the excess of three. So yea, my experience with jazz maintenance was horrible. Sure the guys are good. I’d trust those guys with my life, but The operation needs work.

I appreciate you leaving Jazz, not to improve my lot in life, just because you’re a cancer that needs to be cut out before it spreads.
I’m not going to debate every detail because you clearly exaggerated, there’s no way you paid 1000 per month since at my wages I don’t and it’s based on you wage and the only way you had 6 mel’s was some didn’t apply, it’s literally in the preamble that some don’t count towards that. They are always some insignificant, don’t need it anyway item. If they weren’t then, there was approval, that’s how it works, it a policy that is monitored by maintenance control, you have no input, it’s automatically done.
There is a thread discussing the fact that Porter does NOT provide hotel for initial training if it’s your base, why would you need it, come on, most companies have a significant commuter population, they need them, idiot!

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:08 pm

Take care

Even for guys living at base it’s nice to have at least the option for a hotel, there can be a lot of distractions at home when you’re trying to learn a new A/C. Encore also wasn’t giving hotels if you were hired for YYC based, not sure if that’s changed now or not.

If the 3 MEL policy wasn’t applied it just takes a quick call to maintenance to get that applied. I asked them about it a few months ago and if it’s an MEL that makes our job or the FA’s job harder then it counts for the 3 MEL policy.

At AC you can do a full month of single day turns and depending on the time of day you can get a whopping $0 per diem check for the month since they give meals on the flight.

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tango308 »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:08 pm You’re a joke. Lucky for you to have been at jazz for so Long. You laugh at junior pilots who make next to nothing and tell them to leave jazz to improve your own life. You literally said: “you can retire on LTD”. How do you think LTD is paid out? By the company? No. The rest of the group. Which is why the deductions are so insane. The benefit package is great, compared to all, if you enjoy paying 1000$ a month for it.

Look, it's not all rosy here at Jazz and I know it. There are definitely areas that could use an overhaul (PAYYYYY) but the picture your are attempting to paint is not balanced and far from accurate.

LTD: As a Y2 CA I pay roughly $700/month after LOLOP refund for LTD, STD, Dental, Health and life insurance. Pension is something different and if you are doinf the ESOP thing that should not be counted in your deductions as well. Is $700 a lot of money? Yeah, it is but it's definitely not $1000/month you make it out to be. I'm also glad that we have the LTD program that we have, it's basically a very good loss-of-medical insurance. Should you lose your CAT 1, you're covered for life.

Yep you're right everyone's paying but guess what, should you need it it's there for you.

Hotels: Encore doesn't pay hotels to it's new in base hires, they don't even pay them perdiems. Why would you not want a hotel as a new hire? Some like the calmness a hotel can offer when studying for an initial even if they live in base and some just commute.

Vacation: Year 2 CA, ask me how I managed to score 3 weeks in the summer. Answer: open vacation is your friend.

In my 4 years I could count on one hand the numbers of time I've got the 3-MEL policy. I've ever in doubt you could always call the OCM to discuss, I've always found them supportive, if it came to it you could always refuse the aircraft. If you flew with more than 3 MELs in the front without talking to MOC or your OCM first you just didn't the resources that were available, that's on you.

ads-b
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ads-b »

Only reason to go to jazz would be flow though or you have 600 hours and need some more experience to get to a better job.

I can’t say what the future holds for sunwing. We still currently have the best schedules, decent pay and opportunity to hit up Europe for the summer with some tax free cash.

fruz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fruz »

Leasing of Foreign Aircraft and Employment

As soon as reasonably possible and in any event prior to the Summer Season of 2026, subject to Applicable Law, WestJet shall:

(a) conduct negotiations with the relevant unions representing employees of WestJet and Sunwing to reach one or more settlements, and following which WestJet shall,

(b) end, in an orderly manner, Sunwing Airlines’ practices of (i) leasing aircraft on a seasonal basis from non-Canadian air carriers, including through wet-leasing, and (ii) leasing Sunwing Airlines’ aircraft on a seasonal basis to non-Canadian air carriers; and

following such orderly end described in section 2(b), and until the date that is the fifth anniversary of Closing, WestJet shall utilize Canadian unionized pilots and cabin crews for flights that service travellers who purchase Sunwing Vacations tour packages.

So, for those contemplating Sunwing, this is an excerpt of the government order of terms and conditions for the WestJet purchase of Sunwing. The highlighted above terms pretty well spells the end of deployments for Sunwing. We all suspected this would come to an end eventually, though.

Many came to Sunwing, and more still come here for this flying/lifestyle. This doesn't bode well for deployments in the future.

Another point worth mentioning is that it's rumoured Sunwing is only hiring for eastern bases now. Nothing out west. Anyways, food for thought.

Return to “Sunwing”