YYZ Base?

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

YYZ Base?

Post by twa22 »

What's the word on the block regarding the yyz base? Last I heard/read here, it was supposed to be closing at some point.
---------- ADS -----------

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: YYZ Base?

Post by averageatbest »

Yes, there was an announcement of closure for the base. Up until recently, it was "no earlier than the end of summer 2024."

As of a few days ago, the COO stated that the timeline has been pushed back to April of 2025.

Except for a few flights up to Thunder Bay in early May (with no return), the last flights out of Toronto for the Q400 are April 30. Pilots and flight attendants will be deadheaded to start and finish their pairings.

The downside is that people wanting shorter pairings will no longer have that option. The upsides are more deadhead pay and the ability for commuters to deadhead from their domicile.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

So those based in YYZ will be deadheading until April 2025? I'm guessing if that's the case, no new hires will be based in YYZ then.

LongBranch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LongBranch »

Base is closed to new hires and internal transfer first officers. There is still some upward movement of skipper upgrades of two per bid, for how long that goes on is anyone guess however.

twa22
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by twa22 »

Cool, thank you both for the info

Return to “WestJet Encore”