Pilot Industry Afternoon

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Pilot Industry Afternoon

Post by Roundel Randy »

WestJet is advertising a pilot industry afternoon for pilots with 750+ hours. Just curious if anyone has more insight in this. Is WestJet looking for possibly pilots for the mainline or swoop with less than the 1500 they are advertising?
---------- ADS -----------

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Pilot Industry Afternoon

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Roundel Randy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:14 pm WestJet is advertising a pilot industry afternoon for pilots with 750+ hours. Just curious if anyone has more insight in this. Is WestJet looking for possibly pilots for the mainline or swoop with less than the 1500 they are advertising?
So, the first thing I will say is that minimum requirements are a “baseline”. Does that mean they wouldnt hire with less….no.

Most airlines clearly state:
People will less than minimums will be considered based on experience.

It all depends on each candidates actual experience. For example. If someone were to apply with 1200 hours TT , all from instruction, let’s say 150 multi-PIC from instructing, and someone with 950 TT but some 704 experience. What do you choose?

Of course WJ is looking at everyone, it’s all relative. The interview process is more important than ever. Hours in straight and level, less so. Arguably, watching a student do circuits basically the same.

Your pick.

Last edited by CaptDukeNukem on Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:40 pm
It all depends on each candidates actual experience. For example. If someone were to apply with 1200 hours TT , all from instruction, let’s say 150 multi-PIC from instructing, and someone with 950 TT but some 704 experience. What do you choose?
The instructor of course. The 704 pilot will likely be taking a pay cut, and thus be less motivated. The instructor will even thank you for the low salary! :mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Yowdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Yowdriver »

Where did they post that?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Yowdriver wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:12 pm Where did they post that?
On every airlines career page. For example: this is porters Q4 FO requirements.

Qualifications

* Airline Transport Pilot License (Transport Canada) or Integrated Airline Transport Pilot License
* Minimum 1,000 hours total time
* Aviation College or University Degree is an asset
* Pilots that do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered based on experience and other factors
* Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination

WestJet encore showing 500 TT as requirements in their page. Just cuz someone is short 100 hours does not exclude them. Doesn’t everyone round their logbooks up to next 100 increment?

Read between the lines.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

WestJet (along with all the subsidiary entities) have a compensation problem at the moment. Rather than addressing this with better pay and working conditions, it appears they are attempting to address the inability to recruit and retain pilots by hiring less experienced pilots.

The training is free (we are told) and if you want market wages, a 705 type rating will launch you into a better paying operation. Or maybe WestJet will get serious about paying market wages for pilots.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

It's on the WestJet pilots jobs webpage.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:27 pm

Qualifications

* Airline Transport Pilot License (Transport Canada) or Integrated Airline Transport Pilot License
* Pilots that do not meet the minimum requirements may be considered based on experience and other factors

WestJet encore showing 500 TT as requirements in their page. Just cuz someone is short 100 hours does not exclude them. Doesn’t everyone round their logbooks up to next 100 increment?

Read between the lines.
Companies still require the clot shots? :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:43 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:27 pm

Qualifications

Read between the lines.
Almost all the the big ones and management companies.

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

khedrei wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:15 pm
Not WestJet or Air Canada. Porter probably still does because they do a lot of cross border flying. I'd imagine that would end when the US drops their entry requirements likely next month.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Does “fully vaccinated” still mean only the 2 shots? I haven’t had one in close to 2 years now.

Let’s Go Brandon
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Inverted2 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:05 am Does “fully vaccinated” still mean only the 2 shots? I haven’t had one in close to 2 years now.
Fully vax is just the 2 shots for the ones that required two e.g. Pfizer, moderna.

or one shot of an approved single shot vaccine. E.g. J & J

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

Roundel Randy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:02 pm
Not WestJet or Air Canada. Porter probably still does because they do a lot of cross border flying. I'd imagine that would end when the US drops their entry requirements likely next month.
Its listed on AC job ads. So I'm not sure where you are looking. But you're right about WJ thats why I said 'most'.

Roundel Randy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roundel Randy »

khedrei wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:19 am
Roundel Randy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:02 pm

Its listed on AC job ads. So I'm not sure where you are looking. But you're right about WJ thats why I said 'most'.
You are correct.

Realistically, what is the likelihood of WestJet hiring 737 drivers under the 1500 hrs cap?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Roundel Randy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:31 am
khedrei wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:19 am
Roundel Randy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:02 pm Not WestJet or Air Canada. Porter probably still does because they do a lot of cross border flying. I'd imagine that would end when the US drops their entry requirements likely next month.
You are correct.

Realistically, what is the likelihood of WestJet hiring 737 drivers under the 1500 hrs cap?
Very likely IMHO. Under the current contract they can't find anyone willing to work there. Hence the cancelled ground school recently, and the total of 5 new hires in the previous one. Not many people willing to go there for $3000/month take home pay, 6 years of reserve and 10 year upgrades.
Meanwhile AC is having no problem filling classes.
The main problem with hiring 750 hour pilots is that WJ's training program is not designed for a candidate with such low experience. It will have to be overhauled and approved by TC. This takes a considerable amount of time.
Now, they could offer a new CA that will attract and retain pilots, but they don't seem ready to do that yet!

Out to Lunch 101
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Out to Lunch 101 »

The crazy part about AC is the lifestyle isn’t any better and the pay is lower. I have a friend on the A320 who’s making 55k/year doing reserve and 16 days/month. Meanwhile my friend at WJ with the same level of time in who is clearing over 70k/yr (with bonuses) and only working 12 days per month. There’s a very foggy window looking inward to these companies. Take everything on here with a grain of salt. I guarantee if westjet drops a new contract this summer, it’ll be the place to be.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Out to Lunch 101 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:02 am The crazy part about AC is the lifestyle isn’t any better and the pay is lower. I have a friend on the A320 who’s making 55k/year doing reserve and 16 days/month. Meanwhile my friend at WJ with the same level of time in who is clearing over 70k/yr (with bonuses) and only working 12 days per month. There’s a very foggy window looking inward to these companies. Take everything on here with a grain of salt. I guarantee if westjet drops a new contract this summer, it’ll be the place to be.
Bonuses? Could you clarify what bonuses WJ pilots receive?

One has to look at the long term vs the short term. Will a WJ pilot out earn an AC pilot in the first 4 years? Currently, yes (AC will be getting rid of the 4 year flat pay). After 4 years there is a wider choice of equipment, scheduling and the pay leaves the WJ pilot in the dust.

WJ could be a "go to" place if the company brings their wallet to the table. However, they have shown nothing to indicate they are willing to pay. They still want a two, three or even four tiered pay system. An A, B, C, and D scale. Management has turned WJ into a great training facility for our competition and they seem okay with that choice.

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Mach1 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:20 am
Out to Lunch 101 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:02 am The crazy part about AC is the lifestyle isn’t any better and the pay is lower. I have a friend on the A320 who’s making 55k/year doing reserve and 16 days/month. Meanwhile my friend at WJ with the same level of time in who is clearing over 70k/yr (with bonuses) and only working 12 days per month. There’s a very foggy window looking inward to these companies. Take everything on here with a grain of salt. I guarantee if westjet drops a new contract this summer, it’ll be the place to be.
Bonuses? Could you clarify what bonuses WJ pilots receive?

One has to look at the long term vs the short term. Will a WJ pilot out earn an AC pilot in the first 4 years? Currently, yes (AC will be getting rid of the 4 year flat pay). After 4 years there is a wider choice of equipment, scheduling and the pay leaves the WJ pilot in the dust.

WJ could be a "go to" place if the company brings their wallet to the table. However, they have shown nothing to indicate they are willing to pay. They still want a two, three or even four tiered pay system. An A, B, C, and D scale. Management has turned WJ into a great training facility for our competition and they seem okay with that choice.
I think the bonus being referred to is the lump sum that replaces the stock options that were a thing before the onex takeover, I believe it’s 7k a year for FOs and a bit more for CAs

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

[/quote]

I think the bonus being referred to is the lump sum that replaces the stock options that were a thing before the onex takeover, I believe it’s 7k a year for FOs and a bit more for CAs
[/quote]

You’re likely right. However the post alluded to a year one FO receiving a ‘bonus’. The stock options lump sump is only available in one’s second year at WJ. To add insult to injury. Splitting hairs I know, just clearing that up.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

The lump sum replacement for the stock options is part of our compensation package and not a bonus. There is no uplift over and above normal pay contained in that payment.

Additionally, the lump sum replacement for the stock option money is actually a reduction in pay from the stock options we used to receive.

Return to “WestJet”