Speed limit order within 10 NM

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Speed limit order within 10 NM

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Hey folks!

Been having a debate about the requirement to be at 200 kts or less within 10 NM of an airport unless authorized to do so by ATS.

CAR 602.32 states

602.32 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall

(a) operate an aircraft at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots if the aircraft is below 10,000 feet ASL; or

(b) operate an aircraft at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots if the aircraft is below 3,000 feet AGL within 10 nautical miles of a controlled aerodrome unless authorized to do so in an air traffic control clearance.

Regarding (b) : it says within 10 of a controlled aerodrome.

So my argument is that if an aerodrome served by an MF, but surrounded by a class E control zone… this restriction doesn’t apply due to the aerodrome not being controlled.

Or am I incorrect because it is surrounded from surface to 3000 agl by controlled airspace?

Would be great if ATS Or FSS would provide some insight.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Speed limit order within 10 NM

Post by photofly »

The answer is perfectly clear: it says controlled aerodrome, not controlled airspace.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

“You had me grounding 230 on radar? Must be a tailwind up there…”

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

lownslow wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:24 pm “You had me grounding 230 on radar? Must be a tailwind up there…”
Not so easy to lie with Ads-b :P

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Ads-b reports position, ground speed etc. don’t think it’s plumbed into the pitot and static pressure tubes.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:24 pm “You had me grounding 230 on radar? Must be a tailwind up there…”
"In both directions?"

:mrgreen:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

photofly wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:22 am Ads-b reports position, ground speed etc. don’t think it’s plumbed into the pitot and static pressure tubes.
Not plumbed Into the lines directly of course but definitely connected to the Air Data Computers of modern airliners. Also, I heard YYZ ATC tell air Canada once to slow to 170 or less until the FAF, then he queried the pilots why they weren’t doing 170 but 180 instead. And the pilots replied there’s a tailwind, to which he said: “I can see your airspeed sir”

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

We had this debate at work a while back. I dug into the regs and found the definition of a controlled aerodrome, it’s right at the start of the CARs.
controlled aerodrome means an aerodrome at which an air traffic control unit is in operation; (aérodrome contrôlé)

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

tsgarp wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:33 am We had this debate at work a while back. I dug into the regs and found the definition of a controlled aerodrome, it’s right at the start of the CARs.
controlled aerodrome means an aerodrome at which an air traffic control unit is in operation; (aérodrome contrôlé)
No ATC unit at the aerodrome = uncontrolled, so 200 KIAS limit does not apply.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

MF is not a controlled aerodrome…. So you’re free to maintain 250 as late as you dare! (Lownslow did not exactly live up to his username when we managed 250 until 4nm final, IIRC)

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

photofly wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:22 am Ads-b reports position, ground speed etc. don’t think it’s plumbed into the pitot and static pressure tubes.
Standard ADS-B does not include airspeed data, but there are systems that relay your FMS routing and MCP selections for speed/altitude/heading/etc. (A lot of this may require ADS-C).
I seem to recall that this was a bit of a problem a few years ago, when EuroControl started violating crews for having routing in their active FMS flight plan that they had not yet been cleared for (ie they had a domestic routing programmed, despite their clearance limit technically being an oceanic exit point). So they were able to charge them for a gross navigational error, despite not actually reaching that point in the flight plan yet (ensuring your route includes a discontinuity until cleared otherwise is the answer here)!

What I am not sure is whether this system cares about your actual speed, or just the speed you have selected on the MCP… as long as you have 200 or less selected within 10 miles are you good, so can you be in the process of deceleration?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Thanks guys! I appreciate the work!

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

It will be coming very soon. What one has to remember is that all of this is digitized already for the FDR. All that's missing is an interface to ADS-B, which is where things like altitude selection come from that ATC can already see.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

Here is a snapshot of some of the data ADSB will transmit. Indicated airspeed seems to shows in Canada but not the US for Version 2. I doubt the controllers have access to this picture real time but that is the data available to TC/NavCan/Public etc.

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-17.jpg
Screenshot 2023-04-17.jpg (609.8 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I believe YYZ Terminal controllers can see indicated airspeed on their displays, in addition to the usual groundspeed.

It's part of a new system which I forget the name of at the moment (Intelligent Approach something something). It helps controllers especially in high wind conditions better space aircraft because they can see both indicated and actual groundspeed and slow/speed up aircraft accordingly.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:43 am I believe YYZ Terminal controllers can see indicated airspeed on their displays, in addition to the usual groundspeed.

It's part of a new system which I forget the name of at the moment (Intelligent Approach something something). It helps controllers especially in high wind conditions better space aircraft because they can see both indicated and actual groundspeed and slow/speed up aircraft accordingly.
The next interation will include a robot arm on the flight deck that ATC can control, so they can set the autopilot how they wanted you to set it in the first place.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Mach .28 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:32 am Here is a snapshot of some of the data ADSB will transmit. Indicated airspeed seems to shows in Canada but not the US for Version 2. I doubt the controllers have access to this picture real time but that is the data available to TC/NavCan/Public etc.
This was great info! Thanks for the snapshot.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:43 am I believe YYZ Terminal controllers can see indicated airspeed on their displays, in addition to the usual groundspeed.

I agree. It’s quite simple really….. if ATC says 170 to KIREX, just do as asked. Technology doesn’t allow much lying these days.

Also, block growth…. Slow me down any day, every day.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:09 am

I agree. It’s quite simple really….. if ATC says 170 to KIREX, just do as asked. Technology doesn’t allow much lying these days.

Unless your catching a commute flight home.. :smt040

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:19 am
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:09 am

Unless your catching a commute flight home.. :smt040
Well, that’s a whole other monster right there my friend.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”