Big red in trouble for no French again

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Big red in trouble for no French again

Post by Crewbunk »

I note that it’s a Rouge flight. YUL F/A’s with YYZ pilots. I think a unilingual Service Director in Montreal would be a bit of a unicorn.

But I feel sorry for that passenger. Carrying the language battle himself on his shoulders. He probably pouted all the way to Lauderdale, “That’ll show them!” What a way to start your vacation.
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

I don't disagree that these such complaints are absurd. I would however like to highlight that this is a somewhat self-inflicted wound on behalf of the airline. Hear me out, consider the following:

1- The Air Canada Public Participation Act is not new, the airline is well aware of its requirements, and the CEO is well aware of 'french sensitivities'.

2- Rouge has a huge presence in YQB, in fact rouge operates nearly all the airlines metal out of this airport. YQB to; YUL, YVR, YYC, FLL, PUJ, TPA, YYZ off the top of my head are all rouge.

3- Rouge does not use Service Directors (like mainline), the senior FA is the designated Lead (although some have opted out), and by themselves works the J class cabin, while the other 2 or 3 work the aft cabin.

4- In order for Flight Attendants hired at rouge to flow through to mainline they require a second route language. This is the airlines requirement.

5- The rouge FA contract is the worst in the industry while the mainline contract is at the other end of the spectrum, when given the opportunity nearly every FA has transferred to mainline.

So what the airline has today is a huge rouge presence in YQB where all the senior Flight Attendants (working in the J cabin) are almost entirely english speaking. This was not the result of some unlikely set of circumstances, it was the result of the airlines insistence on never giving up leverage. The senior rouge FA's want to flow to mainline and the airline is banking on that leverage in negotiations.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

So was he expecting French in Florida too? People like this are the reason the kaybeckers aren’t held in a high regard by the rest of the country.

Let’s Go Brandon
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Crewbunk wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:00 amHe probably pouted all the way to Lauderdale, “That’ll show them!” What a way to start your vacation.
I doubt it, he was probably thrilled to be in the same class as the 7up/Sprite guy or the "Lift" person.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I think I that septsur, and lift were the same persons

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”