Multi Engine Instructor Qualifications

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

DSoup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Multi Engine Instructor Qualifications

Post by DSoup »

I was day dreaming about follow on career options and was looking at how people got their Multi Engine hours. This led me to wonder what it took to be allowed to instruct multi engine and if there was a Multi Engine Instructor rating like in the US?

From reading CAR 425.21(5) it seems to be a multi engine instructor you first need 50 hours of ME time regardless if you're already an instructor? Is the only (practical) way to be a multi engine instructor to pay for 50 hours of multi engine rentals on your own and then get hired? Is that what others have done? Can any of it be sim time?

Most job postings I've seen want 100+ ME time so it appears that a multi engine instructor job IS the entry level job?
---------- ADS -----------

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Multi Engine Instructor Qualifications

Post by FL_CH »

Teach Group 1 IFR to someone who already has a ME.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
Romain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Romain »

Like FL_CH said you teach IFR on multi and when you reach the 50 hours you can start teaching the multi rating.

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

FL_CH wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:44 pm Teach Group 1 IFR to someone who already has a ME.
This is the most cost effective way in most cases.

DSoup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DSoup »

Do most students get the multi first and then their group 1? I assumed they would train for these concurrently.

Thanks for the replies!

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

DSoup wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:11 am Do most students get the multi first and then their group 1? I assumed they would train for these concurrently.

Thanks for the replies!
Sort of. Depends how much they can handle at one time. Normally they could get the multi then do a bunch of IFR in the single. When they are nearing flight test standard, switch back to the twin for a few hours and do the test.

Or do a bunch of IFR in the single close to flight test standard, pause. Get the multi and then keep going on the IFR in the same plane.

Benefits to each I guess. Same result.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Don't forget that you also need 10 hours on type and you cannot group types for this purpose.

Return to “Flight Training”