Part-Time Instruct or PIW?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Part-Time Instruct or PIW?

Post by photofly »

khedrei wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:43 pm The government website i found it on showed the versions like digits posted it. Weird how the "previous version" matches what is in the standards. Then the "current version" mentions the instructor rating.

I honestly don't understand why they did it that way...
The prior version of the regulation has content that is better categorized as a 'standard'. So probably as part of a tidying-up exercise the conditions were moved from the regulations to the standards where they fit better.
It seems like you need a law degree to understand these regs sometimes.
They're written by lawyers, for lawyers to use to prosecute pilots. If they were written for pilots to be able to understand and follow, it would be much much better for pilots.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

digits_ wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:51 pm How is instructing a backup if you lose your medical?

If you're talking about being a ground instructor, then you don't need an instructor rating for that at all. No need to spend 10k on that.

It’s not . I believe the OP stated that instructing would allow him to work in an alternate field while accruing hours for the airlines. ( Porter )

Trance4mer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Trance4mer »

I am in a very similar boat as you, except I did get my class IV instructor rating near the end of '22. I was really hoping to get a gig part time as I cannot afford the salary of a full time instructor at the moment. Unfortunately I was pretty much told "NO" to part time instructing at almost all the FTU in the GTA & surrounding area, including my own school where I did the bulk of my training.

I am now considering reaching out to skydive places to see if they need any weekend pilots.

Regardless of the outcome, I am happy to have completed my FIR, as the process gave me a deeper understanding of the subjects.

Perhaps you may have a different experience and land a P/T gig, I really hope you do.

Return to “Employment Forum”