Contract AME rates

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Contract AME rates

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

What is everyone charging as a contract AME for hourly / day rates and meal allowances / incidentals this year?

I’m in helicopter maintenance but would be curious to hear from everyone and every area involved.

TIA

BUG
---------- ADS -----------

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Contract AME rates

Post by chowda »

It seems to be more of the same crap. I see $52 ahr +$100 perdium and you provide all your transportation and accommodation to $60 an hour, $70 perdium, transportation and shared accommodation provided. There's really been no significant improvement since pre covid. Arguably, when you factor in inflation and the crazy shortage of experienced mechs, its worse.

Only real difference is the desperation of the wording and frequency of job ad reposts. Just keep throwing it against the wall, hoping it eventually sticks.

Been in this over 25 years. Its never going to change so I'm vindictively looking forward for its fall.

Let the greenhorns save the day with their phones

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

chowda wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:47 pm It seems to be more of the same crap. I see $52 ahr +$100 perdium and you provide all your transportation and accommodation to $60 an hour, $70 perdium, transportation and shared accommodation provided. There's really been no significant improvement since pre covid. Arguably, when you factor in inflation and the crazy shortage of experienced mechs, its worse.

Only real difference is the desperation of the wording and frequency of job ad reposts. Just keep throwing it against the wall, hoping it eventually sticks.

Been in this over 25 years. Its never going to change so I'm vindictively looking forward for its fall.

Let the greenhorns save the day with their phones
This industry thrives on naïveté and enthusiasm of said greenhorns. Always has always will. What kind of machines are you working on for the contract rates you’ve provided?

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

Sad thing is, I'm making those numbers as a full time employee with all the benefits. Contractors should be making a lot more to cover employer taxes and deductions on top of employee deductions.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

helicopterray wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:11 pm Sad thing is, I'm making those numbers as a full time employee with all the benefits. Contractors should be making a lot more to cover employer taxes and deductions on top of employee deductions.
I agree, contractors are going for 125/hr USD where I am and everything overhead paid in full. We do not do “day rates” it takes what it takes hourly and won’t commit to anything more than 10 hours a day unless we authorize it. 65/hr isn’t even a good rate at full time

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Contracting is pretty abysmal right now. Its mostly planted at $50 a/hr and either $50 a day with some shite communal accomadation provided, or rarely hotel, or $100 a day with you paying everything to get out, eat, and be there, etc.

There's the odd one that pays a bit more but there always is some sort of catch.

Mostly M2 fixed wing. No idea what M1 contracting pays if it even exists.

Cheap foriegn workers appear to be the action plan for many larger companies utilizing the same "one licensed AME babysits" action plan. I've seen this at a couple of places recently.

Im going to opine that contacting has peaked, years ago, as far as Canada is concerned.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Pat Richard wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:16 am Contracting is pretty abysmal right now. Its mostly planted at $50 a/hr and either $50 a day with some shite communal accomadation provided, or rarely hotel, or $100 a day with you paying everything to get out, eat, and be there, etc.

There's the odd one that pays a bit more but there always is some sort of catch.

Mostly M2 fixed wing. No idea what M1 contracting pays if it even exists.

Cheap foriegn workers appear to be the action plan for many larger companies utilizing the same "one licensed AME babysits" action plan. I've seen this at a couple of places recently.

Im going to opine that contacting has peaked, years ago, as far as Canada is concerned.
That may be for the fixed wing game, rotary they are going the same route with foreign licenses to fix and fly and it’s not working out so well. Therefore what’s remaining for domestic maintenance licenses are naming their rates right now, flying still bottom feeding

Return to “Maintenance”