Attn recruiters: this is how to write a job ad

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Attn recruiters: this is how to write a job ad

Post by Tbayer2021 »

DonutHole wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:50 pm
Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:57 pm
DonutHole wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:15 pm

It isn't my place to say why he left, but I can confirm it had nothing to do with the company or the pay.
Ah yes, of course. I'll just take your word for it.
you wouldnt take the word if it sat on your face and wiggled.

Baffling that the guy with information which can shut down this thread doesn't want to share it.

Real tough nut to crack.
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:37 am
DonutHole wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:16 am There is an established float driver in this post confirming that it as good as claimed.

Did you wipe after you pulled that out of your butt?

That's why he stayed, right?

Firstly, I resent your insinuation. Who are you pre tell to pontificate on my departure from this company? With that said, I will very politely address this…

I left after my personal life situation and career ambitions changed. Simple as that.

Now, I can’t help but wonder why you guys are tearing this job ad a new one.

Let’s play a game…

If any of you actually have in excess of 500 hours on a -2 on floats (which is a pretty low time to fly on the West coast, let alone the North Coast) Why don’t you just reach out to Inland Air directly and ask for the Ops manager? I am sure that this person will lay it out frankly and honestly. I’ve known him for years.

The rest of you are just bored and stirring the pot. Go out flying or go fly a kite! :wink:

TPC

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:15 pm
DonutHole wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:16 am There is an established float driver in this post confirming that it as good as claimed.

Did you wipe after you pulled that out of your butt?

Firstly, I resent your insinuation. Who are you pre tell to pontificate on my departure from this company? With that said, I will very politely address this…

I left after my personal life situation and career ambitions changed. Simple as that.

Let’s play a game…

If any of you actually have in excess of 500 hours on a -2 on floats (which is a pretty low time to fly on the West coast, let alone the North Coast) Why don’t you just reach out to Inland Air directly and ask for the Ops manager? I am sure that this person will lay it out frankly and honestly. I’ve known him for years.

The rest of you are just bored and stirring the pot. Go out flying or go fly a kite! :wink:

TPC
May have something to do with the desire of more transparency from operators so people don't waste their time applying only to find out it doesn't pay enough or the benefits aren't there or the million other things the employer could post instead of trashing other jobs and even taking a stab the younger generation.

Seriously! How many times can they not only say they're the best employer that will not only pay you the most, but will even give you a handy while they're at it. And still not say hard numbers.

Ultimately, it just creates skepticism around their claim and bunches them up with every other shitty 703 that never posts their pay.

We could be wrong and they may very well be paying significantly more than everyone else. But it seems odd they'd spend so much time and effort with such a colorful ad and be militant about not disclosing pay for some reason.

I mean, doesn't take a genius to realize that donut guy has some interest in this operation.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Tbayer2021 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:07 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Let’s play a game…

TPC
May have something to do with the desire of more transparency from operators so people don't waste their time applying only to find out it doesn't pay enough or the benefits aren't there or the million other things the employer could post instead of trashing other jobs and even taking a stab the younger generation.

Seriously! How many times can they not only say they're the best employer that will not only pay you the most, but will even give you a handy while they're at it. And still not say hard numbers.

Ultimately, it just creates skepticism around their claim and bunches them up with every other shitty 703 that never posts their pay.

We could be wrong and they may very well be paying significantly more than everyone else. But it seems odd they'd spend so much time and effort with such a colorful ad and be militant about not disclosing pay for some reason.

I mean, doesn't take a genius to realize that donut guy has some interest in this operation.
What’s it to you?

If you already meet the requirements, call em up. Surely a 5 min call would be less time than you’ve spent typing out reply’s in regards to this ad…

(There’s nothing militant about their not disclosing publicly. It’s a private company and they can do as they see fit. Aside from that, seaplane flying is becoming more and more of a nitch market. Experience, time on type and the interpretation of a candidate’s ability to become their next long term golden boy/girl vary as much as the salary does.)

TPC

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

JaringtonT wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:47 am It pays 100k.
Finally!

So.. it’s not the best paying Beaver job in Canada.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

‘Bob’ wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:21 pm
Finally!

Now we know why they didn't mention it.

I mean, it's not bad, but nowhere near the best in Canada.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

digits_ wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:08 pm
Finally!

Genuinely curious Digits,

Having worked for the big main players on the West Coast…

Where can one remunerated to the tune of 100K/yr as a full time -2 driver?

Never came near that with the two main players down south… for the guy or gal with only 500 hrs on type that seems quite respectable. Then again, the salary Jarington posted isn’t accurate… like I’ve said, call them up and ask for yourself. You’ve got a float rating right? :)

TPC

PS: What does Jazz or AC pay a lowly co-joe these days again? :rolleyes:

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

If the salary isn't accurate, what is it?

You also can't compare anything to what you were making even if it was last year. That's how fast things are moving.

Sure, $100k is a respectable salary for flying a Beaver depending on a whole pile of things.

But it's not worth slandering the competition and still being condescending to guys who chose a different--and ultimately more lucrative--path while you still won't give an actual number.

That's why this is a textbook example of how not to write a job ad.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:15 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:08 pm

Finally!

Genuinely curious Digits,

Having worked for the big main players on the West Coast…

Where can one remunerated to the tune of 100K/yr as a full time -2 driver?

Never came near that with the two main players down south… for the guy or gal with only 500 hrs on type that seems quite respectable. Then again, the salary Jarington posted isn’t accurate… like I’ve said, call them up and ask for yourself. You’ve got a float rating right? :)
I don't know. But that wasn't the claim they made. They claimed the highest paid salary in Canada in the sector. Not the highest paid -2 driver, or the highest paid 500 hours on type beaver pilot. That's the cop out I was referring to.
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:15 pm TPC

PS: What does Jazz or AC pay a lowly co-joe these days again? :rolleyes:
That's irrelevant. They claim to pay more than the dash captains as well:
Slaving away right seat in that dash hoping to one day make the big bucks in the left seat? Well, we pay more than that guy in the left seat makes too.

It's not that 100k is a bad salary for a beaver. It's that they make these wild claims regarding salary, which seem to fall apart as you ask some critical questions.

And ad specifying 100k for a beaver pilot would be great.
An ad claiming to be the highest paying in the sector, turning out to be 100k: that's just silly and misleading (possibly false?) advertising.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

So salary is nowhere near what was insinuated. What a shocker!

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

Sounds like some happy float pilot is securing a really good job while you miserable nerds nitpick for no reason.

Enjoy your flat pay.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

Slats wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:44 am Sounds like some happy float pilot is securing a really good job while you miserable nerds nitpick for no reason.

Enjoy your flat pay.

I guess wanting more transparency is now considered being miserable. There is a reason why an increasing number of jurisdictions are making it law to list salary or salary ranges. Withholding such information only benefits the employer. I remember striking a conversation with a NWAL pilot while we both waited on the ground in YPY. We quickly got on the subject of pay and he was quick to say that their pilots were the best paid in the area. He was not pleased to learn how much I made flying a 208 VFR. I wonder how he learned they were "the best paid in the area". Information is power, gents.

Yeah we'll suck up flat pay while we have to. Then we'll be the ones making 200+ and 300+ at some point with the new contract. Cottage, maybe a house in Mexico or elsewhere in the tropics. Getting a better and better schedule as time goes on. While the happy float pilot may find himself somewhere where things aren't as rosy as he was promised. Loading and offloading a beaver, day in and day out. Probably developing a bad back or bad knee. I never met a "bush" lifer that hadn't fucked up his body somewhere along loading a moose or the 3rd fuel barrel run of the day.

But hey, different strokes and all.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Slats wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:44 am Sounds like some happy float pilot is securing a really good job while you miserable nerds nitpick for no reason.

Enjoy your flat pay.
Haha. Again, having to slander others to try and rationalize not revealing pay.

You can really tell who is miserable.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

$100k for a beaver is more than anywhere else I know of on the west coast. You’ll make more than that in an otter, caravan, or turbo beav but for the job that’s a damn good wage. Especially for 500hrs on type

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

Yeah we'll suck up flat pay while we have to. Then we'll be the ones making 200+ and 300+ at some point with the new contract.
Fair enough. You have to look out for number one, and I don't begrudge anyone wanting to make that trade off. For most pilots, it's the premier job in Canada. But because of that, it also sets the upper limit of what operators can generally get away with paying in this country. So it's the hundreds of pilots clamouring to work for peanuts that has done a disservice to the greater good of pilot wages in this country, not the mom and pop Beaver operator that chooses not to publicly reveal the fact that they're offering a 6 figure starting wage. But yeah, different strokes indeed.

Get your own house in order before you start pointing fingers. Good luck with the contract reopener.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Now, where's that 'beating a dead horse' emoji?

If you're seriously interested, and qualified, apply, and I'm sure that you'll find out the pay...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Employment Forum”