AC medical and BP

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Littledog95
Rank 0
Rank 0

AC medical and BP

Post by Littledog95 »

Hi all,

I have my medical next week and was just wondering if as a young person and having to be on hypertension meds it would affect my candidacy ? Blood pressure is stable and normal now but I am still having to take medication for it. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: AC medical and BP

Post by co-joe »

If you get the fat east Indian lady Doctor, then yes it may well effect your medical. Worst case scenario she makes you go pay out of pocket for a heart stress test. You book an appointment with a Cardiologist, they hook up a bunch of wires to you, then you run on a treadmill for up to 14 minutes. Just be honest with her, and if possible, bring a 1 month or more trend of your BP, showing that you manage it.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

co-joe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:58 am If you get the fat east Indian lady Doctor, then yes it may well effect your medical. Worst case scenario she makes you go pay out of pocket for a heart stress test. You book an appointment with a Cardiologist, they hook up a bunch of wires to you, then you run on a treadmill for up to 14 minutes. Just be honest with her, and if possible, bring a 1 month or more trend of your BP, showing that you manage it.
If you paid for a stress test you went to the wrong place. Go through your family doc for the referral and it will be entirely covered by OHIP.

If this is a known issue for you and they might ask for one to be done I would get that ball rolling before your medical. This way if they ask and you have it done they have the results right there and then…or at very least you are in the cue to have it done and no time is wasted.

But as for being on meds for it that should not be a problem.

Food for thought.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

BingBong wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:57 am
co-joe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:58 am If you get the fat east Indian lady Doctor, then yes it may well effect your medical. Worst case scenario she makes you go pay out of pocket for a heart stress test. You book an appointment with a Cardiologist, they hook up a bunch of wires to you, then you run on a treadmill for up to 14 minutes. Just be honest with her, and if possible, bring a 1 month or more trend of your BP, showing that you manage it.
If you paid for a stress test you went to the wrong place. Go through your family doc for the referral and it will be entirely covered by OHIP.

If this is a known issue for you and they might ask for one to be done I would get that ball rolling before your medical. This way if they ask and you have it done they have the results right there and then…or at very least you are in the cue to have it done and no time is wasted.

Food for thought.
Stress test normally free if by referral from GP.

If you are on meds, presumably your CAME and TC are aware. Either or both would have requested supplemental diagnostics if they felt it was necessary.

Any AC supplemental request for diagnostic would typically flow from a previously undiagnosed condition. They are applying the TC medical standard.

Littledog95
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Littledog95 »

Thanks for the replies! I’ve had a stress test as well as a handful of others, I’ll make sure to have those handy next week!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

BingBong wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:57 am

Food for thought.
I have no idea what OHIP is, but I called my CAME immediately and he laughed at her request that I take BP meds. He doesn't do family medicine so i went to a walk in clinic. The Dr I saw, I had to talk into prescribing them for me, and he laughed at her as well. Ok, you don't need these, and I flat out wouldn't prescribe them for you based on your BP, but if it will make her happy, here you go.

She stuck her finger inside me as well. Great experience all in all. Best of luck, hope you don't have the displeasure of her services.

Return to “Air Canada”