Don't be a scab

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Don't be a scab

Post by Fanblade »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:35 pm
accountant wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:45 am Why haven't you guys given your notice already? Oh yeah, too chicken to strike.
You really are a nasty piece of work. With no perceptible knowledge of our industry or apparently labour negotiations, I fail to understand why you spend so much of your time trolling this forum.
He has skin in the game somehow. My guess is he is linked to WJ management or Onex. There is a connection somewhere. He can't hide how personal this is for him.

Perhaps he just took a break from the table and is a little cranky. Perhaps he just got an update from the table? It pissed him off?

Whatever the connection there seems to be a direct connection between how pissed off he is getting and the movement toward strike.

For management this is one of the only times they don't have control. Some don't do well
---------- ADS -----------

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

RidersRule wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:53 pm
averageatbest wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 pm If my post was the reason why the tool was taken down, we are more f'd than I thought.
It was. I haven’t been in Avcanda in like five years. It was great for commuting. Thanks for fucking it up.
You can still see the loads on the travel website. Sorry if I just fucked that up too.
Fanblade wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:53 pm
accountant wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:45 am Why haven't you guys given your notice already? Oh yeah, too chicken to strike.
You really are a nasty piece of work. With no perceptible knowledge of our industry or apparently labour negotiations, I fail to understand why you spend so much of your time trolling this forum.
He has skin in the game somehow. My guess is he is linked to WJ management or Onex. There is a connection somewhere. He can't hide how personal this is for him.

Perhaps he just took a break from the table and is a little cranky. Perhaps he just got an update from the table? It pissed him off?

Whatever the connection there seems to be a direct connection between how pissed off he is getting and the movement toward strike.

For management this is one of the only times they don't have control. Some don't do well
Click here to block "accountant" and auto-hide his comments.

Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

Sea Kelp.

No seriously, professional help. There is something seriously wrong with you.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

averageatbest wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:51 pm
RidersRule wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:53 pm
averageatbest wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:18 pm If my post was the reason why the tool was taken down, we are more f'd than I thought.
It was. I haven’t been in Avcanda in like five years. It was great for commuting. Thanks for fucking it up.
You can still see the loads on the travel website. Sorry if I just fucked that up too.
Fanblade wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:53 pm

Click here to block "accountant" and auto-hide his comments.
No shit. I have been here 15 years.

On the travel website can’t see how many have checked in inside D 50. You can’t see the seat map and what rows might be open. You can’t see the crews names if you want it tech out to a colleague beforehand about jump.

Anyway. Good job.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Really guys????

You’re blaming one person for travel/load info disappearing? Has it occurred to you that the company may not want you to see what is happening to loads? That it might give you leverage? That the removal was going to happen regardless?

Putting my accountant hat on for a second. I would pull the plug and through the blame at your group to create disunity.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

I'll take the blame. I'm just a random username on this forum.

Let me be your scape goat.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

We should all be thanking averagebeast, the company wasting resources removing these tools just shows how desperate for control they truly are.

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

I was curious where the term "scab" originated, sending me into a Google wormhole. The term has a long history, and is none too appealing, with one description indicating that such a scoundrel might well be afflicted with syphilis, which in its advanced stages causes a “scabby” skin condition - ie. "scab."

Someone even wrote a poem in 1913 about scabs - "Ode to a Scab."

What did I learn? Don't be a scab.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

A company deserves the union it gets. Westjet coombaya antics grossed me out years ago and have yet to fly with them. Any outfit that tries to convince its staff it cares is just creepy. It’s all about the money the quicker the look aid drinkers figure this out the better. A pilot, engineer or flight attendant that got on the gloves and cleaned toilets or folded seatbelts convinced that it was to help themselves weee clearly mistaken.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Can someone explain to me what this means. It seems that my English skills (or lack-of) are failing me this morning:

This is an e-mail from ALPA today:

"Picketing

Should the WestJet Pilots be forced to picket, starting Friday, we advise all members to confirm with their respective MEC representatives about their obligations to cross picket lines as part of your duties – unless doing so would reasonably constitute a danger..."

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:20 am Can someone explain to me what this means. It seems that my English skills (or lack-of) are failing me this morning:

This is an e-mail from ALPA today:

"Picketing

Should the WestJet Pilots be forced to picket, starting Friday, we advise all members to confirm with their respective MEC representatives about their obligations to cross picket lines as part of your duties – unless doing so would reasonably constitute a danger..."
Standard strike info? Mostly for blue collar workers? I certainly hope we all remain professional and united. There should never be any danger for anyone, even if a scab. There are better ways to resolve and penalize.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

It references other ALPA members crossing a picket line to get to their jobs ie. other ALPA airlines. I think it is possible to refuse to cross a picket line. An employer can provide an alternate entrance however. Not scabs, to be clear. Just other union members ie. Teamsters could refuse to cross an ALPA picket (as a show of solidarity) but could still work, and use another entrance.

Return to “WestJet”