Don't be a scab

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Don't be a scab

Post by stabilizer »

Less than two weeks left.

If you're not ready now, I doubt you ever will be.

That said :up: When the time comes, don't be a scab :radioactive:
---------- ADS -----------

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Don't be a scab

Post by averageatbest »

Please remember that when you see someone walking past the picket line in uniform, they are more likely to be a sympathetic Encore pilot than a scab.

If you want to see who's operating any WS or WO flight, you can see it through ICAS Tools using the Atlas app.

Encore pilots are behind you and will be supporting in every way we can in the bounds of our contractual obligations.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The best thing Encore pilots can do during this, is fly the line safely, don't pick up the phone for OT, and do the minimum as outlined in their CBA.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

stabilizer wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:46 pm Less than two weeks left.

If you're not ready now, I doubt you ever will be.

That said :up: When the time comes, don't be a scab :radioactive:

Agreed. You aren't doing anyone a favour. My friends at WJ just sent me that email the CEO just communicated to your group. IT'S A SLAP IN THE FACE.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

co-joe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:47 pm The best thing Encore pilots can do during this, is fly the line safely, don't pick up the phone for OT, and do the minimum as outlined in their CBA.
100%

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Any chance of somebody posting this memo you are talking about?

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

hithere wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:54 pm Any chance of somebody posting this memo you are talking about?
IMG_7258.jpg
IMG_7258.jpg (819.68 KiB) Viewed 5789 times

stabilizer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stabilizer »

My original post was aimed predominantly at the 7% (roughly 100ish) whom did not support the strike mandate. Seriously, I still can't believe we only got a 93% yes vote. When you look at the US airlines.....when their union asks for a mandate, it's an overwhelming 99%+. It can't be 100% because of certain semi-management positions on the seniority list, but still....99%, it's basically everyone.

At WJ, we've always been special. Or at least the holdout wjpa / upw pilots are special. We've never been able to manage total pilot support for better WAWCON and this is the main reason we are so far behind. So if you're reading this and you voted no....that's great. You had your say. But don't cross the line in 2 weeks and continue to hurt our position as a group. Sit this one out. Your precious overtime will still be there. Respect and solidarity from your peers will not.

Don't be a scab. Be ready.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

That's quite the message from the CEO. Sorry we can't pay you because it will ruin our business model built on paying our pilots crap wages. What a crock. He is trying to convince you that your wages alone will "topple the house of cards".

Sorry, but proper pilot compensation IS NOT THAT BIG A SLICE OF THE PIE. It's small potatoes in the big scheme.

Every pilot in this country has to say NO MORE. Build your model on other cost savings, not us.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Ah yes, the "We need you to keep your pay rate or we go under and won't be competitive" message prior to negotiations. What a new and creative play! ;)

How'd that work out in the US when wages doubled?

The fact right now is that PILOTS in Canada are both in-demand and underpaid. There aren't enough for every company's growth plans. Plain and simple. The strategy should be to attract pilots to fly the assets. Most companies such as Cargojet, and most 703s, etc, have been doing this as a reactionary method to keep from bleeding pilots.

The email should be paraphrased to read "We can and should pay you market wages, but why would be want to voluntarily unless we absolutely have to?"

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

So Alexis is being paid comparable to Flair and Lynx CEOs right? :roll:

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Back to the message title. “Don’t be a scab”.

While the term “scab” is batted around a lot, the true scab is one who while a Westjet pilot on legal strike, accepts payment to fly Westjet’s aircraft. I won’t mention the morality of that, but I have seen the effects.

I merged into Canadian Airlines from Wardair and flew with the “mix” of employees. One thing that stuck out, was mention of a few “scabs” from the Eastern Provincial strike. These individuals accepted money from management to fly their aircraft during the strike. It didn’t take long for word to get out.

They lost friends, their wives lost friends, their children lost friends. They were no longer a part of the close knit community. Over the span of the 33 day strike, their lives changed. And …. that title never left them. By the time, I joined the ranks, many years and merges later, any time they were mentioned, “scab” was mentioned. And, not just by pilots, but flight attendants and agents too! Right until the day they retired, when no one came to wish them well on their last flight.

In my opinion, it’s not worth it.

If someone crosses your picket line, it may be someone forced to, like an Encore pilot, or me, an Air Canada pilot. We don’t want to, but have no choice. And we’ll understand when it’s our turn and we are walking the line and you cross our line.

But if you suspect it’s a scab, discreetly take a picture and send it to your strike committee. Try not to get into a confrontation. It’s hard. But being on strike is legal, putting your fist down someone’s throat isn’t. Don’t give “them” ammunition.

Remember, don’t be a scab.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Crewbunk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:34 am
If someone crosses your picket line, it may be someone forced to, like an Encore pilot, or me, an Air Canada pilot. We don’t want to, but have no choice. And we’ll understand when it’s our turn and we are walking the line and you cross our line.
But with respect. Do your best to avoid going into the terminal within sight of the picket. Or if you prefer. Show support. Join the picket for a couple of laps on the way in.

It’s possible to cross and support. It’s possible to make your cross invisible. What is not okay is crossing in full view without an acknowledgment at all. It doesn’t make someone a scab. It does however make them a disrespectful jerk.

averageatbest
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by averageatbest »

Fanblade wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:18 am
Crewbunk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:34 am
But with respect. Do your best to avoid going into the terminal within sight of the picket. Or if you prefer. Show support. Join the picket for a couple of laps on the way in.

It’s possible to cross and support. It’s possible to make your cross invisible. What is not okay is crossing in full view without an acknowledgment at all. It doesn’t make someone a scab. It does however make them a disrespectful jerk.
An Encore pilot in uniform is prohibited from joining the picket. Encore pilots have explicitly been told to not attend the picket on a scheduled working day and to not attend the picket in clothing that would outwardly identify you as a WestJet employee.

Respectfully, let us do our job without being called a disrespectful jerk. We support the WestJet and Swoop pilot cause and we will continue to show support when professionally able.

If you want to find the scabs, you can easily find the flights that aren't cancelled on Atlas and click the crew tab.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

Hopefully, everyone is well versed about proper picket line etiquette.

But Averageatbest’s advice should be well noted. Most airlines, (mine included), place strict guidelines on what you can do when wearing your uniform. Marching in a picket line, even for one lap, however well intended would definitely be forbidden.

I do however plan on marching with Westjet’s pilots when I can, wearing a non-partisan business suit. This is not just their fight. Their success helps all pilots in Canada.

Speedbrakes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Speedbrakes »

Crewbunk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:49 am Most airlines, (mine included), place strict guidelines on what you can do when wearing your uniform. Marching in a picket line, even for one lap, however well intended would definitely be forbidden.

I'm happy to say that Morningstar has allowed its pilots to attend the picket lines in uniform.

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 18.28.53.png
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 18.28.53.png (116.22 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Speedbrakes wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:32 pm
Crewbunk wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:49 am Most airlines, (mine included), place strict guidelines on what you can do when wearing your uniform. Marching in a picket line, even for one lap, however well intended would definitely be forbidden.

I'm happy to say that Morningstar has allowed its pilots to attend the picket lines in uniform.
You know what? Good on Alpa mec at Morningstar. Bravo.

I’ll be “not in uniform” but definitely showing my face. Shame that other airlines not as progressive.

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

stabilizer wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:56 pm
At WJ, we've always been special.
Gotta be special to bus your customers from Calgary to Regina. Good luck on the picket line, you're lucky it's not winter!

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

accountant wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:48 pm
stabilizer wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:56 pm
At WJ, we've always been special.
Gotta be special to bus your customers from Calgary to Regina.
Throughout my many years of airline flying, I have seen many odd solutions to logistical problems. Busing passengers has been a solution. I have seen from BHX-LHR, YYZ-YXU and YQX-YYT. It’s not ideal, but it’s often better than sleeping in an airport waiting for an empty seat or for the weather to improve.

Regardless. I’m at a loss what moving passengers by bus is in any way related to scabs and picket lines.

bose
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bose »

A few people will monitor the internal flight information if any Boeing westjet or swoop flight departs during the strike so everyone will be aware who flew when they shouldn't. Honestly there won't be any Boeing going anywhere so it's kinda a moot point.

Return to “WestJet”