Don't be a scab

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

braaap Braap
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Don't be a scab

Post by braaap Braap »

digits_ wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:18 pm
FL410AV8R wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:47 pm What Commonwealth does is Commonwealth's business.

No one is telling him/her what to do.

Seems like you are though, aren't you?
FL410AV8R wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:47 pm
I am just stating that actions have consequences and thought should be given to any "extra" flying during a strike.

Cough Cough

DON'T FLY STRUCK WORK
Thinly veiled threats against pilots who just do their job at a completely different company, really won't help your cause.

Generally, if you'd like help or support from your fellow pilots, you don't threaten them with mob style public blacklists.

Your posts here are doing more damage to pilot unity than the Westjet CEO could ever do. It's not the hardcore 5% that wins a strike. It's the 95% midfield that does, and the support of the public.
+1 well said! The rhetoric in this thread is weird
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Dash.Trash wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:14 pm
truedude wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:28 pm
accountant wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:33 pm

How long will you be able to afford your cabins at the lake when planes are parked?

You realize you're dealing with a corporation with far more resolve than you who will literally take the goodwill, write it off and go into another business.

Enjoy packing bags at Home Depot. Hope your strike pay covers yoU!
Resolve means nothing. Future bookings will plummet as soon as strike notice is given. Easter weekend will be busy refunding every passenger. By the end of Easter weekend, anyone with summer travel plans will be rebooking. And every day Westjet keeps this going the company will inch closer to insolvency. And guess what, the pilots are prepared to see this through to the end.

How many days of parked airplanes will it take before it would be cheaper to just pay the pilots and move on. Delta seems to have decided it would be more productive to work with their employee groups instead of always fighting them.

Two weeks tops Westjet can keep this going, at which point there is no airline.
Agree with most of what you said, except Easter weekend was a month ago?
Lol, I had to double check the posted date as well.

Onex will ride this out for quite some time unfortunately, just because, well they are Onex.

I do think though after two weeks, the government will start to get involved, the NDP will finally wake up and pull support. The contract will be arbitrated in the pilots favour (to a Point), the liberals will be crushed as a no confidence vote will occur.

Oh and if you work for another airline that is contracted to operate certain routes, than no you are not a scab, and legally have to operate or your company has grounds for dismissal.

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

If you work for another company who is contracted, the question is if you're called on a gdo to operate one of those flight.

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:35 am I do think though after two weeks, the government will start to get involved, the NDP will finally wake up and pull support. The contract will be arbitrated in the pilots favour (to a Point), the liberals will be crushed as a no confidence vote will occur.
A party in power that starves to remain in power due to egos is not likely to end this strike quickly. They won't want to piss off the NDP.

They didn't push to force CRA back to work, they didn't extend the tax deadline, they're not about to cave and legislate Westjet back to work.... unless it gains them votes. Definitely won't gain them votes or seats in the West when most conservatives want less government involvement, not more. This government is calculated.

Right around the time of an AB election....

Be prepared to be picketing for a while.....

TheLastonetoknow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheLastonetoknow »

nohojob wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:11 am If you work for another company who is contracted, the question is if you're called on a gdo to operate one of those flight.
Lost me at answering a call on a GDO… uncontactable sorry

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

You maybe but between people on rsv who must take the call, and people who won't resist to the appeal of extra cash, there won't be any lack of pilots to pick up the slack.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

accountant wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:33 pm How long will you be able to afford your cabins at the lake when planes are parked?

You realize you're dealing with a corporation with far more resolve than you who will literally take the goodwill, write it off and go into another business.

Wow. It's been many a year since I have seen this level of rectal/cranial inversion in someone.

I mean, honestly, there is so much wrong with that statement I'm not even sure where to begin to correct you. Being a bitter person on the internet is tight.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

accountant wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:44 pm
digits_ wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:18 pm Your posts here are doing more damage to pilot unity than the Westjet CEO could ever do. It's not the hardcore 5% that wins a strike. It's the 95% midfield that does, and the support of the public.
Pilots have already proven they don't have the public's support on this one given their outlandish demands.

Look lady. You've got 68 posts in 5 years.

Most of them recent. You have an agenda or a vendetta. One or the other. Even more likely you are a paid management shill making about 40k a year trying to instill a bit of uncertainty on the net under your Masters orders.

Go back to filing your nails on your coffee breaks.

EdgarAllanPIC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by EdgarAllanPIC »

:rolleyes:

Last edited by EdgarAllanPIC on Fri May 26, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyYYC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyYYC »

accountant wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:33 pm
truedude wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:22 pm

Pilots have already proven they don't have the public's support on this one given their outlandish demands.
Public support is meaningless. Rows of parked airplanes is all that matters. And they can remain parked until pilots are payed appropriately. Airplanes are bought in US dollars with no discount for being a Canadian airline. Pilots are no different.
How long will you be able to afford your cabins at the lake when planes are parked?

Accountant, I'll probably just fly for another company like the many pilots that leave WestJet every month. Could you tell me more about this home depot job though? Might be nice to work at a job that doesn't schedule me minimum rest every shift lol.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

digits_ wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:18 pm Your posts here are doing more damage to pilot unity than the Westjet CEO could ever do. It's not the hardcore 5% that wins a strike. It's the 95% midfield that does, and the support of the public.
I think the exact opposite is true. Airlines have not made any friends since covid and I think most recognize that what they deal with once or twice per year, we deal with every day.

Take a look at the online responses to negotiations updates on both the union and company social media accounts. The public is on our side.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Mach1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:06 am Being a bitter person on the internet is tight.
Don’t tease me.

Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

BTD wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:28 pm Don’t tease me.
:D

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

How long until the government legislates pilots back to work? Forced arbitration? I heard estimates as short as 5 days. But that's based on here say. Anyone have experience or remember what's happened in the past?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Topoff wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:47 am How long until the government legislates pilots back to work? Forced arbitration? I heard estimates as short as 5 days. But that's based on here say. Anyone have experience or remember what's happened in the past?
That would stress me out and I would be unfit to fly. And that's not even a joke.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

Topoff wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:47 am How long until the government legislates pilots back to work? Forced arbitration? I heard estimates as short as 5 days. But that's based on here say. Anyone have experience or remember what's happened in the past?
I heard wearing tight underwear can kill you. It's true. Top scientists agree.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

The past actions of the Harper government were deemed unconstitutional. Most people don’t realize this and are using their actions to predict future events. Rumours.

Back to Work legislation is unconstitutional. With that said it should probably we worded more like. Back to Work legislation is unconstitutional up until the point that it becomes obvious the impasse is not going to resolve itself. So far we only have a few interventions by government under the clarified rules. That looks like about 2 weeks before one can expect there might be intervention. But that is a might.

Government interference too early deleverages employees and tilts the playing field toward the employer. Without the employer knowing their employees can do harm, they won’t negotiate.

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

So, is it midnight on the 15 for the cooling off period to end?
Do they have to wait for the end or can they issue the 72 hour notice coinciding with the end of the cooling off period, ie; we are now in the 72 hour window and no notice.
Good luck WestJet pilots!

J Roc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by J Roc »

cdnavater wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:08 am So, is it midnight on the 15 for the cooling off period to end?
Do they have to wait for the end or can they issue the 72 hour notice coinciding with the end of the cooling off period, ie; we are now in the 72 hour window and no notice.
Good luck WestJet pilots!
I heard that the CIRB decision slowed that down. Something about giving WJ until the 23rd to submit an objection to the CIRB ruling, in turn blocking the pilots until after the long weekend.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

It is my understanding that the 72 hour strike notice can be given on the 13th at 1 minute past midnight (i.e. tonight). I'm not sure whether the CIRB thing will hold things back or not, it was a last ditch deperate attempt by the company just like the Sunwing wet lease which they did a 180 on within hours. Absolute desperate tactics we're seeing now.
There is some uncertainty and discussion among the pilot group on whether we can press on with a strike notice despite the CIRB giving WJ an extra week to submit additional documentaion. We will find out very soon!

Return to “WestJet”