Strike? Issues

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mmm...bacon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Strike? Issues

Post by mmm...bacon »

Can anybody 'in the know' ELI5 what the key issues are for the WJ pilot group, please? I hear talk about 'respect', but that's a pretty nebulous concept when it comes down to it; I'm sure that finances are an issue - but if the company said "ok, peeps, here's an X% increase, starting tomorrow", would that head off strike action?
---------- ADS -----------

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Strike? Issues

Post by Dash.Trash »

“There’s three main topics that we’re discussing at the table that we’re having a hard time reaching consensus,” Lewall told Global News. “The first is job protection. The second is we need increased wages to match or to get closer to the North American average. And then the third is a better work-life balance.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/9593721/west ... -vote/amp/

Job protection: Scope rules and one-contract one-pay scale between WestJet, Swoop and Sunwing.

Wages: Obvious

Work-life balance: better scheduling rules. More time at home with family etc. etc.

Additionally, apparently during conciliation they were only able to come to agreements on like 4 articles. There’s still something like 20 unresolved sections of the contract. Sounds like they’re pretty far apart.

wing'd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wing'd »

Stupid question but is WestJet Encore also part of the negotiations? Like will they see better wages/conditions ? I know they’re full part of Wj but never seen them mentioned by name.

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

wing'd wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:32 pm Stupid question but is WestJet Encore also part of the negotiations? Like will they see better wages/conditions ? I know they’re full part of Wj but never seen them mentioned by name.
No, separate bargaining unit. If WestJet strikes, Encore will have to continue flying.

Return to “WestJet”