Strike

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Strike

Post by flyinhigh »

Seeing lots of ads up about the impending strike, when is the first official day and has any progress been made at the table?

Last I heard, there was over 20 outstanding issues. Has that been tightened up?

I wish you all luck, this battle is far from over with Onex calling the shots.
---------- ADS -----------

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Strike

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

I believe the 16th is the first day on which job action could be taken. The company and union are still far apart on the big issues as far as I’m aware, pay and scope. The company wants several pay scales in order to whipsaw the pilots, whilst the union has categorically said there will be no more B-scale.
As far as pay goes, the company doesn’t want to even address inflation let alone the marked improvements the pilot shortage is bringing elsewhere.
Thank you for your support.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:44 am I believe the 16th is the first day on which job action could be taken. The company and union are still far apart on the big issues as far as I’m aware, pay and scope. The company wants several pay scales in order to whipsaw the pilots, whilst the union has categorically said there will be no more B-scale.
As far as pay goes, the company doesn’t want to even address inflation let alone the marked improvements the pilot shortage is bringing elsewhere.
How long in advance will a strike be announced? Or has that already happened and is it basically "we strike May 16th unless otherwise communicated"

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Airbrake
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Airbrake »

digits_ wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:29 pm
Canadaflyer46 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:44 am I believe the 16th is the first day on which job action could be taken. The company and union are still far apart on the big issues as far as I’m aware, pay and scope. The company wants several pay scales in order to whipsaw the pilots, whilst the union has categorically said there will be no more B-scale.
How long in advance will a strike be announced? Or has that already happened and is it basically "we strike May 16th unless otherwise communicated"
I believe it’s 72 hours notice, and that date could be pushed due to a CIRB review of essential service or not.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Good on them to push to get rid of a B scale. Having different scales and different levels of treatment for junior and senior pilots creates a toxic work environment (e.g Jazz Aviation, the turd of Canadian Aviation).

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Yes. Canadian aviation is in for a complete overhaul.

I'll bet Tim Morgan is pissed that his pilots are already trying to unionize Lynx under the ALPA banner at this early stage. We know his game though. They are building business models on the backs of poor pilot and flight attendant compensation.

Remember Canjet? Rowe was so pissed that his pilots started to unite that he shut the airline down TWICE in retaliation as I recollect. Cutting off his own nose to spite his own face. Pilots.....how DARE THEY. What RIGHT do they have to make a living wage???

Sorry, but the era of cheap pilot labor is over in this country. Get used to it.

Thank God we're finally waking up to this ridiculous cyclical shell game.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

RippleRock wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:03 am ...Sorry, but the era of cheap pilot labor is over in this country. Get used to it...
I wish that were true. I really do. Unfortunately that's not the case. One can see it from "top" to "bottom". I am optimistic though.

On a different note, what can we (Non-Westjet pilots) do to help our fellow colleagues during this strike? (if there will be one)

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:30 am On a different note, what can we (Non-Westjet pilots) do to help our fellow colleagues during this strike? (if there will be one)
Deliver them peanuts on the picket line.

They'd be getting about as much as passengers in premium get from WS.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

accountant wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:38 am
RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:30 am On a different note, what can we (Non-Westjet pilots) do to help our fellow colleagues during this strike? (if there will be one)
Deliver them peanuts on the picket line.

They'd be getting about as much as passengers in premium get from WS.
Accountant,

Do you have any interconnection with Onex? We all know it will ultimately be Onex that sets Westjet managements mandate.

I have no skin in this particular bun fight but your 8-10% idea as a reasonable raise won’t float. Raises have averaged over 20% in the Canadian market over the last 12 months.

Is it possible the person without realistic expectation might be yourself?

I note that your very first post was about 9 months before the Onex purchase was made public. I note your very first post was about WJ. The subject was the unionization of Flight Attendants and dispatchers.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

There is an ONEX/WestJet board member known to troll this and other aviation-related websites. Information from a very reliable source.

I hope he is getting good information to take back to his fellow board members.

The days of discount Canadian pilot labour are over.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

FL410AV8R wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:28 am There is an ONEX/WestJet board member known to troll this and other aviation-related websites. Information from a very reliable source.

But you are JUST a Canadian.

Extreme sarcasm implied.

TheAlcalde
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheAlcalde »

FL410AV8R wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:28 am There is an ONEX/WestJet board member known to troll this and other aviation-related websites. Information from a very reliable source.

I sincerely hope that some old, rich, boomer is day drinking scotch in his office/cottage while scrolling avcanada and taking screenshots for board meetings.

Discount pilots will be a thing of the past.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

Based on WJ's CEOS last email. It's clear he doesn't care one bit. I say call the Strike. Theres nothing left to be said.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

a2btrail wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:54 pm Based on WJ's CEOS last email. It's clear he doesn't care one bit. I say call the Strike. Theres nothing left to be said.
It’s all down to brinksmanship’s at this point. It’s your CEO’s job to try and convince you he will not give an inch. That your strike won’t get you anything. That the company is tough and resolute in its determination to refuse your demands.

Until you take him to the brink of service withdrawal.

The problem is that eleventh hour brinksmanship causes rushed negotiations. Mistakes can happen. Your MEC is doing the right thing by cleaning up things they can first. Everyday this drags on is a dollar cost and puts more and more pressure on the company.

Patience.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Fanblade wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:36 am
a2btrail wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:54 pm Based on WJ's CEOS last email. It's clear he doesn't care one bit. I say call the Strike. Theres nothing left to be said.
It’s all down to brinksmanship’s at this point. It’s your CEO’s job to try and convince you he will not give an inch. That your strike won’t get you anything. That the company is tough and resolute in its determination to refuse your demands.

Until you take him to the brink of service withdrawal.

The problem is that eleventh hour brinksmanship causes rushed negotiations. Mistakes can happen. Your MEC is doing the right thing by cleaning up things they can first. Everyday this drags on is a dollar cost and puts more and more pressure on the company.

Patience.
It doesn’t have to be rushed. That’s a well known AC ploy. Create artificial deadlines to get pilots to panic and push things through. ACPA fell for it every time and look where the AC pilots are now. Don’t fall for it. Take your time and get what you deserve!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Are you allowed to share the email?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Is this the email ?
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2023 ... ued-pilots

If so, very underwhelming.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

daedalusx wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:52 am Is this the email ?

That sounded fairly friendly, till the last line. Why did that get added? Is he hoping for a strike?

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

digits_ wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:08 pm

That sounded fairly friendly, till the last line. Why did that get added? Is he hoping for a strike?
I agree. We all had high hopes when he arrived, which seems naive now. He is undoubtedly the worst CEO this company has ever seen. I would be very surprised if he’s still here beyond 2023. What is for certain is he has helped unify the pilot group with the stream of ill-judged statements he has made of late.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

digits_ wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:08 pm

I read that as “we will do our damndest to get them legislated back to work”.

Return to “WestJet”