Canada vs US - economics & wages

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Canada vs US - economics & wages

Post by RB211 »

Lots of discussion about the WJ, and coming AC, negotiations and realistic expectations. Significant wage and condition improvements are long overdue. With current market conditions finally more favourable for employees, including pilots, good improvements can be realized.

Whether it is realistic to expect wage parity with the big US carriers is another matter. The economic size differences between Canada and the US probably make this an unlikely outcome.

I watched this piece contrasting the two economies and thought some might find it informative as well.

---------- ADS -----------

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Canada vs US - economics & wages

Post by RippleRock »

Get stuffed.

Stow the economic "we're not the same as the US", Canada in dire straights garbage.

People are more than willing to hand over $80 for a crappy, dirty Prius ride to the airport and tip an extra $7, then pay $40 for an Airport Improvement fee. $20 for a NavCanada surcharge, $35 for a pat-down from the "security theater troupe" to ensure you're safe when you already know, then spend $16 on a dry sandwich and warm beer from the trolley. Plus the Government's hand so far down your pants in aviation and airport taxes on everything that their hand is doing a reach-around out the bottom of your pant leg.

$3 extra per ticket on top of that "fluff" for TWO competent safe pilots who wisk you through the skies without a worry in the world dodging thunderstorms, icy runways and low visibility....you've not a friggin care. We don't even take tips for God sakes.

Spare us all. Please.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

I think that makes more of a case for the cab driver to me.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

So are 'we' asking for parity with US salaries in $CAD, or parity in numbers? That is, for a $100kUSD pay, are 'we' expecting $100kCAD, or $100 x exchange = $130kCAD?

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

mmm..bacon wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:06 am So are 'we' asking for parity with US salaries in $CAD, or parity in numbers? That is, for a $100kUSD pay, are 'we' expecting $100kCAD, or $100 x exchange = $130kCAD?
I think the goal is parity after exchange… but even just matching numbers before the exchange would be a huge improvement (and be very similar to the pre-2003 pay scales that largely mirrored the US majors, if you ignore the exchange rate)…. And would still be a 30%+ discount compared to our brothers and sisters flying the same machines to the same airports!

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

RippleRock wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:15 pm Get stuffed.

Stow the economic "we're not the same as the US", Canada in dire straights garbage.

People are more than willing to hand over $80 for a crappy, dirty Prius ride to the airport and tip an extra $7, then pay $40 for an Airport Improvement fee. $20 for a NavCanada surcharge, $35 for a pat-down from the "security theater troupe" to ensure you're safe when you already know, then spend $16 on a dry sandwich and warm beer from the trolley. Plus the Government's hand so far down your pants in aviation and airport taxes on everything that their hand is doing a reach-around out the bottom of your pant leg.

$3 extra per ticket on top of that "fluff" for TWO competent safe pilots who wisk you through the skies without a worry in the world dodging thunderstorms, icy runways and low visibility....you've not a friggin care. We don't even take tips for God sakes.

Spare us all. Please.
Get stuffed? Really?

It is just a video on the two countries economic differences. Is it 100% accurate? I can’t say. I am not an economist. I do think there is more at play here than what airplane one flies to which airports. To deny that may be a bit naive.

The contract outcome doesn’t impact me one way or the other so it is not an emotional issue for me.

All the rest of your post may well be true. Whether Canadian pilots deserve wage parity with our US counterparts I have no disagreement with. Should it be a target? Why not? Is it a realistic outcome? Considering it has not been the case in recent times, if ever, it seems unlikely.

I hope the WJ pilots get all they hope for. Gains like that would be good for airline pilots beyond North America.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”