It's on!

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gswartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

It's on!

Post by gswartz »

We gave the 72 hour notice to strike. They locked us out.

I'm so proud of our entire MEC & LEC. All the volunteers, all the hours spent away from loved ones. Thank you so much for seeing this through and for standing up for our profession.

This is so much bigger than just WJ pilots. This is for ALL professional pilots in Canada. The era of cheap labour is done.

I look forward to standing shoulder to shoulder with all of you, strike or lockout. I'm ready!
---------- ADS -----------

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: It's on!

Post by Mr. North »

Huge props to the WestJet and Swoop pilots!! The age of exploiting Canadian pilots is over!!

Everyone else, follow your contract! Don't list for OT, show our peers some fucking solidarity!

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by khedrei »

Mr. North wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:27 pm The age of exploiting Canadian pilots is over!!
While I'm very happy to hear hear you guys standing up for yourselves and not settling, I think this statement is a bit premature. Just because a strike is happening doesn't mean the problem is magically solved.

I am rooting fir you guys, and the industry as a whole. I just think it will take way more than this to fix the rot.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

khedrei wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:36 am
Mr. North wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:27 pm The age of exploiting Canadian pilots is over!!
While I'm very happy to hear hear you guys standing up for yourselves and not settling, I think this statement is a bit premature. Just because a strike is happening doesn't mean the problem is magically solved.

I am rooting fir you guys, and the industry as a whole. I just think it will take way more than this to fix the rot.
The root of the problem in this country was always weak unions and as a result, weak pilot mentality. That has clearly turned back in the right direction and continues to do so. The strike itself won't 'fix the rot', but it is the result of that mentality shift righting the course of the ship to a respectable level, hopefully.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

khedrei wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:36 am

I'm tempering my expectations as well. Cautiously optimistic though!

yepivedonethat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yepivedonethat »

I guess Onex and the Austrian don't want an airline. This is not going to end well for them.

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

yepivedonethat wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:58 am I guess Onex and the Austrian don't want an airline. This is not going to end well for them.
He's German, but worked at Austrian, but I get the point.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Good on the MEC. Finally some change coming.

UnionDrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UnionDrive »

Trudeau will have you all back to work in no time!

:smt014
a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

UnionDrive wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm Trudeau will have you all back to work in no time!
Nope.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Let's be honest, did you guys expect a multi billion dollar company to fold under the threat of a strike? I would have been disappointed in Onex for not locking them out. Negotiations is about pressure, leverage and patience. I fully support ALPA and what they're trying to accomplish, it's not an easy task and they're pilots competing with business people, shrewd ones at that. The Onex business model is not one for the faint hearted, this battle will only get harder as the deadline approaches. Best of luck and stay strong!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

UnionDrive wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 pm Trudeau will have you all back to work in no time!
He will need the help of JS and/or PP.

Sadly, the determination of Federal intervention will be entirely political not practical.

the_new_guy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by the_new_guy »

Westjeters, is there somewhere we can donate to help the pilots during the strike? Either for the strike itself or to compensate for lost paychecks if this was to drag on?

If so, please advertise it everywhere.

In support, cheers

Return to “WestJet”