AIP is dogshit

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

khedrei
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: AIP is dogshit

Post by khedrei »

kiaszceski wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:21 pm
khedrei wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:17 pm
Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:06 am The argument was always that we have good T4 income, but our take home pay sucks.
You think 60k is good T4 income?
I guess it depends. If the company pays everything and you only have the provincial and federal taxes to pay, that's not that bad.
I guess you don't live in canada or have kids.

Even without other deductions, 60k leaves you with 45k after taxes. I dont know many people who can live on that solo nevermind with a family.
---------- ADS -----------

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

kiaszceski wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:21 pm
khedrei wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:17 pm
Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:06 am The argument was always that we have good T4 income, but our take home pay sucks.
You think 60k is good T4 income?
I guess it depends. If the company pays everything and you only have the provincial and federal taxes to pay, that's not that bad.
Interesting thinking. Maybe we are "just Canadian pilots". Gotta chew that one over as its a bit tough to swallow. Is what it is I guess.

Last edited by RippleRock on Sat May 20, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fidget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidget »

Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:06 am You need to look at this CA in it's entirety and you're only looking at pay rates.
This is how our TAs were sold to us by ACPA. Sitting from the cheap seats it looks like the same game plan is in play here, that is, get some stuff to pass this 50%+1.

I now know what a North American contract looks like. Not even close to the hoopla during the ALPA sell job.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I posted this in the other thread but it got lost in the middle of the Swoop/rebid discussion....

I'm very curious, I'm not familiar with WJ's year-to-year contract changes, but just how much of this new contract can be considered actual improvements, and not just reversing years of previous backsliding, a la AC?
Scope and eliminating Swoop? That's just coming back up to sea level. What else is in here like that? Once you discount those items is this a gain or just getting lost territory back?

Regardless, congrats on the improvements so far!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

I presume that the AIP adds one half of the prior company ESOP 20% match to hourly rates. That will then help to enhance entitlements that are directly wage based (overtime/disability/pension/etc).

I further presume the WJ pilot can then allocate the remaining 10% to some type of registered retirement vehicle (including a multi employer retirement plan if matched by the pilot employee).

I guess forthcoming details will clarify.

Does that not imply up to a 25% immediate increase in current hourly rates?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

rudder wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:23 pm I presume that the AIP adds one half of the prior company ESOP 20% match to hourly rates. That will then help to enhance entitlements that are directly wage based (overtime/disability/pension/etc).

I further presume the WJ pilot can then allocate the remaining 10% to some type of registered retirement vehicle (including a multi employer retirement plan if matched by the pilot employee).

Just like you I’ve no direct skin in the game and understand it the same as you do.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

All I need to say is...... don't pull a Jazz. The entire Canadian Aviation sector is hoping you win here. Votes no if it's crap. We want you to be rich so we can be rich later. Please..

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:43 pm
rudder wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:23 pm I presume that the AIP adds one half of the prior company ESOP 20% match to hourly rates. That will then help to enhance entitlements that are directly wage based (overtime/disability/pension/etc).

Just like you I’ve no direct skin in the game and understand it the same as you do.
I think part of the problem is that isnt "new money" for us, just a reallocation of something we're already getting.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

American being offered $474 Canadian and hour, second year FO 738 $205 Canadian. That's nearly a 100% difference folks over the best guess AIP rates.

This while we fight for scraps. We're like mogrel street dogs trying to justify meager handouts.

Ah, to be "just Canadian".

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:09 am
Chelsea Handler wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:33 pm 15 percent more for perdiems? Are you kidding? Food is up 50 percent while on the road.
Tax free perdiems maximums are set by the federal government. You can't just increase tax free per diems by 50% without incurring tax implications

We could have come close though. The current GoC per diem rate is $123.00/ day with incidentals, 15% doesn't come close and if it's still all paid in a CAD rate it's even worse you lose 30% on every US or Mexican overnight more on any of the European overnights.

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:13 am
brokeflapoperator wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:02 pm The WSP got worse too. Went from 20% free money to 10%... EASY NO!
Sorry, everyone was demanding that they should take 10% of the WSP and roll it into payrates. That's what happened. Had they left the 10% in it would have done nothing to address our take home pay issue. You can't bait and switch the NC and ask for something and then complain when they get it for you.
Sorry, I didn't ask for it and most of my friends didn't, so I'm not sure where your getting everyone from. Had they left the 20% WSP with no match it still would have done a lot for take home.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

sarg wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:35 pm
brokeflapoperator wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:02 pm The WSP got worse too. Went from 20% free money to 10%... EASY NO!
Sorry, everyone was demanding that they should take 10% of the WSP and roll it into payrates. That's what happened. Had they left the 10% in it would have done nothing to address our take home pay issue. You can't bait and switch the NC and ask for something and then complain when they get it for you.
Sorry, I didn't ask for it and most of my friends didn't, so I'm not sure where your getting everyone from. Had they left the 20% WSP with no match it still would have done a lot for take home.
So you'd prefer your 20% in the WSP rather than 10% in the WSP and 10% extra wage?

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

All WJ pilots please VOTE NO. This contract is peanuts.

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Bede wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:23 pm

So you'd prefer your 20% in the WSP rather than 10% in the WSP and 10% extra wage?

Bede, can you point to ANYTHING in this contract that is an actual gain?

All I see is cost neutral or actual loses.

Wages? - Cumulative inflation is 15% from 2019
WSP? - Still 20%, just re arranged how it’s paid (but nothing gained still cost neutral)
Pairings - Mid pairing trip trade, DH swaps, trading with open time. All cost neutral.
Per Diems 15% - Actual losses here as food prices have gone up cumulatively 25% since 2019.

But I guess you do get to sit in a premium seat if your DH is greater than 6.5 hours.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Until you have sat in the room, ran an analyzer with the suggested changes, you have no idea what/if something is cost neutral. Reality is EVERYTHING has a cost, including that delicious bottle of Dasani.

Yes thing may have been moved around, but in doing so, it most likely achieved a subject of the polls.

Don’t overlook the scope language, between YOS for pay and a full rebid. That aspect alone in going to cost tens of millions. An 8 year FO is now going to 8 year Capt pay, that ain’t cheap which is why every company fights tooth and nail to get rid of YOS.

Scope was a huge huge win, the fact you’re integrating Sunwing when that ink is barely dry is incredible.

This is part of the reason why Unions don’t release agreements the day they are signed. Everyone is up in arms of the executive summary without hearing what has to be said by the negotiators.

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

You guys should be pissed. This isn't North American standard. This is wages adjusted for inflation. Im pretty sure all the American carriers union memebers who flew up here to help are embarrassed to be accociated with this..

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:43 am Until you have sat in the room, ran an analyzer with the suggested changes, you have no idea what/if something is cost neutral. Reality is EVERYTHING has a cost, including that delicious bottle of Dasani.

Yes thing may have been moved around, but in doing so, it most likely achieved a subject of the polls.

Don’t overlook the scope language, between YOS for pay and a full rebid. That aspect alone in going to cost tens of millions. An 8 year FO is now going to 8 year Capt pay, that ain’t cheap which is why every company fights tooth and nail to get rid of YOS.

Scope was a huge huge win, the fact you’re integrating Sunwing when that ink is barely dry is incredible.

This is part of the reason why Unions don’t release agreements the day they are signed. Everyone is up in arms of the executive summary without hearing what has to be said by the negotiators.
You hit the nail 100%. This has to be the mindset of every WestJet pilot. Some looked at "15%" and came to the conclusion that this contract is garbage based on that number alone and ignoring everything else. Talk about tunnel vision.

Nashbandicoot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nashbandicoot »

Curiousflyer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:59 am

WSP? - Still 20%, just re arranged how it’s paid (but nothing gained still cost neutral)
Pairings - Mid pairing trip trade, DH swaps, trading with open time. All cost neutral.
Per Diems 15% - Actual losses here as food prices have gone up cumulatively 25% since 2019.

But I guess you do get to sit in a premium seat if your DH is greater than 6.5 hours.
Scope.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Curiousflyer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:59 am Bede, can you point to ANYTHING in this contract that is an actual gain?

Let’s start with LoU2 gone and all the FOs who now have an upgrade with a proper salary.
Scope is a huge win as it prevents whipsawing in the future.

The other items aren’t cost neutral. Not everyone could afford WSP, now everyone is getting a raise.
The trading requires IT resources and staff to administer.

Everything has an associated cost.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Curiousflyer wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:59 am

Just to make sure the 15% pay increase is on 2022 rates not 2019 right ??? If not then that is crazy but I’d imagine they are on the 2022 rates which would add whatever previous COLA increases they had.

Return to “WestJet”