Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Chelsea Handler
Rank 1
Rank 1

American Airlines AIP

Post by Chelsea Handler »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... -contract/

American airlines pilot's getting a deal similar to Delta.

Delta had 7 billion in gains for 15000 pilots. That's over half a million Canadian per pilot.

WestJet 400 mil divided by 1800. Less than half what delta and American are getting, and they started negotiating already well ahead of Canadian Pilots.

You will get what you demand. VOTE NO.
---------- ADS -----------

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: American Airlines AIP

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

It’s true we are an embarrassment but have the chance to change. However, a lot of people don’t want change and seem to want to settle for the first AIP that comes out. :roll:

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

You get what you get then. Once inflation is removed, the net wage gain is in this AIP is a big fat ZERO. Onex already factored a COL increase in their budget, so you effectively got nothing they hadn't completely planned for. Why did you even waste your time. That's not a question.

Exact same job south of the border earns you 100% premium because we fail to even attempt to match their worth.

You start wearing a hat, you will be on FULL display at American airports. It would be nice to wear it proudly, or don't bother.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Chelsea Handler wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:59 pm https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... -contract/

Delta had 7 billion in gains for 15000 pilots. That's over half a million Canadian per pilot.

WestJet 400 mil divided by 1800. Less than half what delta and American are getting, and they started negotiating already well ahead of Canadian Pilots.

Sorry, but what happened to "my MEC speaks for me". If you don't like the TA, then vote no, but for crying out loud, stop campaigning against your MEC.

Let me ask you: if one of your colleagues started a "vote no to strike" campaign when our MEC asked us for a strike vote, what would your reaction have been? Same principle.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:51 pm It’s true we are an embarrassment but have the chance to change. However, a lot of people don’t want change and seem to want to settle for the first AIP that comes out. :roll:
I challenge you to look at the history of what happens when you go against your union and vote down an agreement that your union thinks is the best deal. You can start with AC in 2013. They ended up in FOS and lost $50M per year compared to TA1. They're still cleaning up that mess.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Bede wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:16 am
canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:51 pm It’s true we are an embarrassment but have the chance to change. However, a lot of people don’t want change and seem to want to settle for the first AIP that comes out. :roll:
I challenge you to look at the history of what happens when you go against your union and vote down an agreement that your union thinks is the best deal. You can start with AC in 2013. They ended up in FOS and lost $50M per year compared to TA1. They're still cleaning up that mess.
Can also go the way of huge gains, look at American Airlines. Overall, It’s a case by case basis. The big difference however from 10 years ago to now is that the industry is much more desperate for pilots. So the end result of saying no could be quite a bit different.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:14 am
Chelsea Handler wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:59 pm https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... -contract/

Sorry, but what happened to "my MEC speaks for me". If you don't like the TA, then vote no, but for crying out loud, stop campaigning against your MEC.

Let me ask you: if one of your colleagues started a "vote no to strike" campaign when our MEC asked us for a strike vote, what would your reaction have been? Same principle.
Being in a union doesn't mean you can't think for yourself anymore. If your MEC would ask you to go on a strike because the company offers 29.9% raises and they wanted 30%, you'd probably wouldn't be too eager to strike and try to convince your fellow pilots that perhaps it's not the best course of action.

It's also very common in any organization that a vote results in campaigning in some sorts. If the MEC presents and defends the contract, then it seems likely that the roadshow will be (intentionally or not) focusing on the positives. That some members are critical, and openly critical, is only healthy. If the agreement is good, critical voices won't matter.

WestJet pilots enjoyed the support of all of Canadian aviation, that also means people are interested in what's happening. Which means, again, that those people might also ask that you focus on the bad stuff, and could be considered to be campaigning against the MEC.

Loyalty to your MEC is earned, not just given. The first podcast post agreement was vague enough, and telling in what it wasn't saying, that my spidey sense was tingling. If I were a WestJet pilot, I would be quite suspicious and voice that concern to my fellow pilots.

I am not, so I'll stick to Avcana posts. But I sincerely hope you take into account the historic pilot shortage situation that's happening right now. I must say that to me it seems as if the company played you like a fiddle.

Good luck. I truly hope it all works out for you!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”