New payscale

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

New payscale

Post by Malfunction »

New payscale out yet?
---------- ADS -----------

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New payscale

Post by airbussy »

Kinda concerning that it's been what, 4-5 days and still no payrates?

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Whats concerning about it? They're taking their time to make sure there's no ambiguous language in the contract before getting it out to us. I'd rather it take a few days than have them rush it out and leave something in there that works in the companys favour.

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

It's the thing most people are waiting to see. AA, United, Delta all released their wages the day they got an agreement. Just saying it seems odd it's taking this long to get payscales. They could release them while still finishing up the rest of the TA language.

I'm probably reading too much into it.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

airbussy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:53 pm It's the thing most people are waiting to see. AA, United, Delta all released their wages the day they got an agreement. Just saying it seems odd it's taking this long to get payscales. They could release them while still finishing up the rest of the TA language.

Gotta remember that AA, United, Delta were not facing a strike within an hour of reaching the agreement in principle. They had plenty of time to get all the items sorted before announcing to the pilots that they had agreements. In this situation, the clock deadline with everyone watching meant that the Term Sheet was agreed to, and now everyone is working behind the scenes to get the TA finalized.

Aspiredtofly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Aspiredtofly »

What if that means WJ pilots are going to work for free

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Trying to polish a turd I'm guessing. Takes awhile

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Malfunction wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:54 am Trying to polish a turd I'm guessing. Takes awhile
Drafted a lot of contracts in your life have you?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

airbussy wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:53 pm It's the thing most people are waiting to see. AA, United, Delta all released their wages the day they got an agreement. Just saying it seems odd it's taking this long to get payscales. They could release them while still finishing up the rest of the TA language.

Why is it taking so long to take off? Why aren’t we moving. The other airline is already half way there. We should be cleared for takeoff by now. What’s taking so long?

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

Exactly!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

airbussy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:41 amExactly!
Having done my fair share of collective bargaining and resulting TA roadshows, I can describe the experience as follows:

Back in the days of paper TA’s being handed out - no matter how comprehensive or detailed all of the amendments were to the CBA - the sound in the room would be “flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip …….. silence”.

Every pilot in the room just flipped to page 17 which was the wage page.

Such is the nature of pilots. 80% will vote on how the wage package affects them individually. Most of the rest is just a detail but to the bargaining committee it represents months of their work and ultimately all matters, just not at a mortgage loan appointment.

Good luck to the WJ pilots.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

rudder wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:04 pm
Having done my fair share of collective bargaining and resulting TA roadshows, I can describe the experience as follows:

Back in the days of paper TA’s being handed out - no matter how comprehensive or detailed all of the amendments were to the CBA - the sound in the room would be “flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip …….. silence”.

Such is the nature of pilots. 80% will vote on how the wage package affects them individually. Most of the rest is just a detail but to the bargaining committee it represents months of their work and ultimately all matters, just not at a mortgage loan appointment.

Sums it up to a T. Most forget the collective part of the agreement.

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

rudder wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:04 pm

I would be lying if I didn't say the only reason I want to see the wages, is to know if AC is going to have to pull out their wallet if this thing passes. And that effects me and 4700 other pilots at AC. So hoping for the best when it comes to final numbers released.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:11 am

Why is it taking so long to take off? Why aren’t we moving. The other airline is already half way there. We should be cleared for takeoff by now. What’s taking so long?
And to dig a bit deeper into that analogy: how often has a delay in take off every worked out favorably for the pax on board? How often have pax been given the complete and full reason for a delay in take off? How often has the truth been slightly bent to cover up pilot or company's faults? :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Pay scale

Attachments
received_643453794462695.jpeg
received_643453794462695.jpeg (268.57 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

Gave up striking at the 11th hour for this. 🤦‍♂️

Terrible PCP. Those FO rates are at least. $20-$25/hr short of anywhere close to industry standard PCP.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

airbussy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:34 am Gave up striking at the 11th hour for this. 🤦‍♂️

Terrible PCP. Those FO rates are at least. $20-$25/hr short of anywhere close to industry standard PCP.
I'd like to point you to Air Canada's disgusting four year flat pay. That is by far one of the most disgusting things in this industry. It is sickening that it was ever considered okay to do that.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

787 rates.
All our bargaining chips went to getting rid of Swoop. Doesn’t seem like there was anything leftover to get close to the US rates the union kept promising.

Attachments
IMG_0366.jpeg
IMG_0366.jpeg (302.39 KiB) Viewed 6770 times
RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

airbussy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:34 am Gave up striking at the 11th hour for this. 🤦‍♂️

Pay rates are only a part of the contract. I'll take the improvements to scope and everything else that we secured over a few dollars more an hour.

This TA is 264 pages long, our current agreement is 141.

Anonymouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anonymouse »

RockSalty wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:46 am

Pay rates are only a part of the contract. I'll take the improvements to scope and everything else that we secured over a few dollars more an hour.

This TA is 264 pages long, our current agreement is 141.
Major pilot shortage and hours from a strike. You should have had scope AND a significant pay increase, its not an either/or situation.

Return to “WestJet”