New payscale

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: New payscale

Post by throwawaycorporate »

Are these posted rates then subject to 9.1% on top?

Is the pension 10% again on top of the rate +9.1%?
---------- ADS -----------

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

Based on my quick calculations, the posted rates look to include the 9.1%. If it was 15.5% the numbers would be quite a bit lower. The 10% pension contribution is entirely separate.

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:40 pm
dontcallmeshirley wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:10 pm
TFTMB heavy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:07 pm Stop comparing these rates with Delta and AA, not a fair comparison, very different operations.

Tons of new language in this contract and a scope. That scope is most likely worth more than the new money in the contract.
Two are airlines and the other is an IT company?
I don't understand you question.
WestJet management is in the habit of telling us that WestJet is not an airline; it's an IT company.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

These new pay scales are horrible, with the change of the WSP program, it actually looks like year over year pilots will actually be taking a pay CUT, because I honestly cannot understand what they have written for the WSP section, it seems unsettlingly confusing and not written well. These new pay scales will have 737 year one FOs TAKING home 62K a year... that is horrible, it will take a WJ FO 5 years to earn a livable wage with the company. A 15.5 % raise is just a match for inflation, and then with 2% year over year for the remainder of the contract, by its end pilots will be SUFFERInG all over again. The number one priority of any contract negotiations HAS to be wages, and this contract does nothing for that.Thia will still have new FOs eating at food banks. Shame on alpa for accepting these rates, they had a mandate to close the gap with the north american standard contract, this does not do that. And I hope to god WJ know there worth enough to vote this down.

Nashbandicoot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nashbandicoot »

The wages don't matter without scope. It doesn't matter if you make 400/hr when someone else is doing your flying

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Nashbandicoot wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:58 am The wages don't matter without scope. It doesn't matter if you make 400/hr when someone else is doing your flying
There is a MASSIVE pilot deficit in canada, no pilot needs to worry about not having space to fly.. quite the contrary we need to worry that we are flying TOO much, and get relief from over working. And get PAID for our work, this AIP is a complete waste of the best negotiating power we have had in I dont even know how long.. and what did they secure? Kill off swoop... in THREE years? Which honestly who knows what will even happen there.. meanwhile pilots are still eating at food banks and living with their parents until they get to year 5 FO pay..its disgraceful. our new pay scales bearly beat Flairs, that is actually crazy that the WJ union with all that was said over the last several months accepted a bare minimum inflationary adjustment, that is essentially the exact same as flair. Matching flairs contract should ha e been the STARTING point for negotiations.. and WJ alpa only managed to get a MATCH after 9 months of negotiations.. how..? Like actually, how does that happen.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

airbussy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:52 pm Based on my quick calculations, the posted rates look to include the 9.1%. If it was 15.5% the numbers would be quite a bit lower. The 10% pension contribution is entirely separate.
I think you’re right

Current/Old: $64.92 * 1.20 = $77.90
Proposed/new: $81.81 * 1.10 = $89.99

For exactly a 15.5% lift

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Tolip wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:10 am
Nashbandicoot wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:58 am The wages don't matter without scope. It doesn't matter if you make 400/hr when someone else is doing your flying
There is a MASSIVE pilot deficit in canada, no pilot needs to worry about not having space to fly.. quite the contrary we need to worry that we are flying TOO much, and get relief from over working. And get PAID for our work, this AIP is a complete waste of the best negotiating power we have had in I dont even know how long.. and what did they secure? Kill off swoop... in THREE years? Which honestly who knows what will even happen there.. meanwhile pilots are still eating at food banks and living with their parents until they get to year 5 FO pay..its disgraceful. our new pay scales bearly beat Flairs, that is actually crazy that the WJ union with all that was said over the last several months accepted a bare minimum inflationary adjustment, that is essentially the exact same as flair. Matching flairs contract should ha e been the STARTING point for negotiations.. and WJ alpa only managed to get a MATCH after 9 months of negotiations.. how..? Like actually, how does that happen.
Your understanding of this TA is about as pathetic as your ability to form proper sentences.

Tolip
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tolip »

Blackdog0301 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:40 am
Your understanding of this TA is about as pathetic as your ability to form proper sentences.
I'm not attacking anyone personally. Im sharing my thoughts on this new TA, just like everyone else. Stop spending your energies on petty attacks. And if something I've said is against your understanding of the contract, please elaborate. If not, good day.

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

WJ pilots eating at food banks with their wages? Yeah I’ll take things that didn’t happen for 3 dollars. And if they did, I’m calling incredibly poor financial sense in their part. Also Swoop is gone by next year, not 4 years. Read the AIP properly or don’t both posting such drivel, it’s embarrassing. And get your PPL in the meantime.

thepoors
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thepoors »

Malfunction wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:31 am Pay scale
Still 77.5 mmg?

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

thepoors wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:39 am
Malfunction wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:31 am Pay scale
Still 77.5 mmg?
Yes

stall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stall »

maverick12 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:56 am
WJ pilots eating at food banks with their wages? Yeah I’ll take things that didn’t happen for 3 dollars. And if they did, I’m calling incredibly poor financial sense in their part. Also Swoop is gone by next year, not 4 years. Read the AIP properly or don’t both posting such drivel, it’s embarrassing. And get your PPL in the meantime.
The 4 hrs duty credit is industry worst and will still be industry worst in 2026 at 4.25 is embarrassing

And getting paid 50% to deadhead? Industry worst

Can someone name a profession where your employer makes you do something at work and then pays you 50%?

Torontomaplelaughs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Torontomaplelaughs »

stall wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:07 am
The 4 hrs duty credit is industry worst and will still be industry worst in 2026 at 4.25 is embarrassing

Can someone name a profession where your employer makes you do something at work and then pays you 50%?
Yikes...is everyone blocked 16 days non-stop then with these scheduling parameters?

RockSalty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RockSalty »

Torontomaplelaughs wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:13 am

Yikes...is everyone blocked 16 days non-stop then with these scheduling parameters?
With our duty (1:2) and trip (1:4) rigs you're not seeing 4 hours credit unless you're Doing less than 8 hours duty on a single day pairing

Tony Soprano
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tony Soprano »

I'm happy to take industry worst DH pay in exchange for more money than an AC WB skipper.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Tony Soprano wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:18 pm
I'm happy to take industry worst DH pay in exchange for more money than an AC WB skipper.
Circa 2023? Questionable. 2024? 2025? 2026? AC will be way out ahead.

And that is how it should be. WJ moved the bar. AC needs to set a much higher bar.

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

Everyone loves to point out that the new TA is better than the 320/737 and in most years the 787. And sure that's great, for now. But they fail to comprehend it's comparing to the END of a nearly 10 years shit cost neutral 2% deal. Within a year WJ will be well behind AC again. This was their chance to really get people to commit to WJ, but I imagine knowing that AC is going to be entering bargaining in the next month that the flow of pilots from WJ to AC won't stop and people will still jump ship now even with the shitty WAWCON at AC knowing things are only going up.

Tony Soprano
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tony Soprano »

airbussy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:25 pm Within a year WJ will be well behind AC again.
I look forward to when AC will leapfrog us. I'm hoping Flair and Lynx will too. Pattern bargaining might finally be a thing

FNGYYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FNGYYZ »

Tony Soprano wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:18 pm

AC 777 is $308 Day / $340 Night plus Nav ($11) & Overseas ($12)

WJ 737 is $280 & WJ 787 is $320

So no WJ pilots are not going to make more than AC 777 skippers on a rate that was negotiated in 2014

I absolutely would be embarrassed with 50% DH pay in my contract in 2023

Return to “WestJet”