Aircraft Maintenance Type Courses

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Aircraft Maintenance Type Courses

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

Where in the CAR's do I find when an aircraft requires a Maintenance Type Course? Piston helicopters = no course requirement, turbine helicopters = individual course. I have an individual course on the Boeings that maintain. Is a course required for a Cessna 441 or King Air??

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Aircraft Maintenance Type Courses

Post by all_ramped_up »

As far as I know for M1 category fixed-wing there is no Type Course required to sign them out.

I have a couple M1 courses but they were only because I was working at an OEM certified Service Centre for those types.

groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

(4) Except as provided in subsections (5) and (7), no person shall sign a maintenance release in respect of maintenance performed on a transport category aeroplane or a turbine-powered helicopter, unless the person

(a) has successfully completed a course of maintenance training that has been approved by the Minister and that is applicable to the type of aircraft, engine or system on which the maintenance is performed, in accordance with Appendix M of Standard 571 — Maintenance; or

BGardner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BGardner »

There are no mandatory type courses on M1 fixed-wing, but if you are signing anything out under an AMO you need on-type training for ACA. Could be in the form of an approved in-house training program.
Example: I held an ACA for a Zlin 242 that belonged to an FTU.
If I do an annual inspection to a privately registered Zlin, no type course required.
Manufacturers may still offer "factory" training courses on their types, however.

Return to “Maintenance”