Renting a Cessna 172 in the USA

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Guzen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Renting a Cessna 172 in the USA

Post by Guzen »

Hi.

I have a Canadian CPL and an American PPL based on my Canadian licence.

I've rented 172s in the USA 3 times. 2 times I was never asked to do a BFR (biennial flight review). 1 time I was.

I've seen conflicting information regarding the BFR being required for non-US-licenced pilots flying in the USA.

Anyone have any concrete info on whether a BFR is required while flying in the USA or not, with my licences?

Thanks for any help.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Renting a Cessna 172 in the USA

Post by photofly »

It’s very unlikely that you hold a U.S. licence “based on” your Canadian licence as the bilateral agreement between the USA and Canada allows for each country to provision its full unrestricted licence to a PPL holder of the other, with less difficulty than the full ICAO “based on a foreign licence” procedure. However, that is irrelevant to what follows.

If you wish to fly a US registered aircraft inside the US then your Canadian licence is irrelevant and you can only do this with an FAA licence (happily, you have one), for which a BFR is (depending on when you obtained the licence) 100% required.

In other words, when flying a U.S. registered aircraft inside the US you must follow all the rules required of US airman certificate holders, because you are one.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I have a U.S. license based on my Canadian license and have rented from quite a few places. The US license is only valid while your Canadian license is valid and they are to both be carried with you when flying N registered aircraft in the US.

A biennial flight review is required. I have done several of these.

Guzen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Guzen »

Thanks for the comments so far. I just think it's weird because I've had conflicting information about this.

If anyone has a link to documentation by the FAA that clearly states a biennial flight review is needed for Canadian pilots renting a single-engine aircraft in the USA or not, that would be great.

To be a little more clear:

This is what my US PPL states on the back, under "Limitations": Issued on basis of and valid only when accompained by Canada Pilot License Number CAXXXXXX. All limitations and restriction on the Canada Pilot License apply.

As stated, I've heard both that a BFR is needed and that it isn't. For example, recently I read this: "...according to the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) of the United States, foreign-licensed pilots are not required to undergo a Biennial Flight Review (BFR) when renting a small airplane in the USA.
The BFR is an FAA requirement for U.S. pilots to maintain their flight proficiency and is typically conducted every 24 calendar months. However, the regulations governing foreign pilots flying in the United States are different. In general, foreign-licensed pilots are allowed to operate aircraft in the U.S. under the rules of their own licensing authority (such as their country's aviation authority) as long as they meet certain requirements.
To legally rent and operate an aircraft in the U.S., foreign pilots are typically required to have:
A valid pilot license issued by their home country's aviation authority.
An English language proficiency endorsement.
Compliance with any additional requirements imposed by the rental company, such as specific checkout procedures or additional training."

Regarding my experiences flying in the US, renting a US-based Cessna:

- Rented a C172 for two days. Not asked to do a BFR or asked for any documentation regarding having done one. Had never done one.
- 5 years after last flight in the USA, rented a C172. Went for check-ride first. Nobody asked me to do a BFR. Nobody asked for any documentation regarding having done one.
- 4 years after that flight, at the same establishment, was asked to complete a BFR before going for a check-ride and then flying solo. Did so.

sicamore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sicamore »

Based on the regulations established by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the United States, the biennial flight review (BFR) requirement applies to pilots who hold U.S. pilot certificates. If you're exercising the privileges of your U.S. private pilot license (PPL), you'll need to meet all the requirements that come with it, including the BFR.

When you have a foreign pilot license, in this case a Canadian Commercial Pilot License (CPL), and you're exercising the privileges of that foreign license while flying in the U.S., you typically operate under the authority of that license (subject to agreement between FAA and Transport Canada). This means that you're not required to comply with certain FAA regulatory requirements, such as the BFR. Instead, you'll need to meet the currency requirements of your Canadian CPL. (If you are flying a C reg plane of course)

However, when you're using your U.S. PPL (which is based on your Canadian license), you are operating under the authority of the FAA and their regulations. Hence, the BFR requirement becomes applicable.

Remember, whether you need a BFR or not also depends on the rental company's insurance and safety policies. It's always a good idea to ask the specific flight school or rental company about their policies.

The BFR is a regulatory requirement. It is not up to the schools to enforce the regulations on you, it is your responsibility

Return to “General Comments”