Sky regional 2.0

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Sky regional 2.0

Post by airbussy »

There's also the newer lifers. The ones hired from 2012-2018/2019 that didn't want to go to AC. Or got PFOd and then got older and just decided they had a decent thing going and decided to stay at Jazz with their $120k and good seniority. Wanted to just be a Q CA, work their days and live life. Perhaps got hired a bit later in life at Jazz, or just had no interest in dealing with NB/WB flying and the issues that come with crossing time zones for the next 30 years.

There's more than you think.

Jazz's biggest problem will be when THOSE people leave. They are the future LTCs and CPs for Jazz and once they are gone, they aren't' coming back.
---------- ADS -----------

Malfunction
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Malfunction »

Im one of those people described and I'm leaving

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Malfunction wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:31 am Im one of those people described and I'm leaving
Love it. Congrats on pulling the trigger.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

Malfunction wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:31 am Im one of those people described and I'm leaving
Congrats all the best! Right move.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Anyone with less than 5 years here would be crazy not to leave. Flow is dead and with PAL taking over the east and a shrinking fleet there will be reduced upgrades and those stuck at the bottom of the roster (Reserve) will be there longer.

Let’s Go Brandon
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Congrats. Where you off to if you don’t mind me asking?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

flyinhigh wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:41 pm
Congrats. Where you off to if you don’t mind me asking?
Currently over in WJ thread asking for interview advice, I’m guessing he/she/they just made the decision to apply elsewhere.
I’m stuck, too old to start over but to be honest, I would stay anyway. The pension is the biggest hurdle, partly to the being too old to offset the loss of the pension.
I certainly don’t blame anyone under 45 for exploring options, closer to 50 the way our industry works, the low pay is a big setback.
With the new WJ pay, it would take 9 years to get back to where I’d be by then assuming no changes but 5 years to get back to where I am now, leaving 5ish years of basically breaking even assuming the Captain upgrade stays at 10 years but without growth anyone starting at WJ is likely looking at 15 years realistically.

Little Star
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Little Star »

If PAL leases Q4s from CHR and starts flying for AC...

In the meant time, CHR transitions to "asset light leasing" and becomes an asset management company.

Who has money to buy all these Q4s but needs someone with experience to manage these assets? How about companies like Brookfield?

Who is an advisor to Brookfield Asset Management? Ask Siri or Google.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Little Star wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:15 pm If PAL leases Q4s from CHR and starts flying for AC...

In the meant time, CHR transitions to "asset light leasing" and becomes an asset management company.

Who has money to buy all these Q4s but needs someone with experience to manage these assets? How about companies like Brookfield?

What's your point? Does nothing to fix the regional feed for mainline. Now PAL and Jazz are both trying to hire the same pilots. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul. They still need to fix the fundamental problem to attracting pilots at the regional level. And that is pay.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

PAL has one thing going for them…..the much coveted YHZ base. I’m betting there are more than a few commuters taking a hard look at that.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

NovaBoy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:35 pm PAL has one thing going for them…..the much coveted YHZ base. I’m betting there are more than a few commuters taking a hard look at that.
Which then kills Jazz more, along with everyone in YYC going to Westjet because no one has any faith in Jazz or AC actually dealing with the issues. All they do is keep making the problem worse with their stupidity.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

truedude wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:42 pm
NovaBoy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:35 pm PAL has one thing going for them…..the much coveted YHZ base. I’m betting there are more than a few commuters taking a hard look at that.
Which then kills Jazz more, along with everyone in YYC going to Westjet because no one has any faith in Jazz or AC actually dealing with the issues. All they do is keep making the problem worse with their stupidity.
They are making the problem worse for those staying. But they are creating opportunities for those leaving.
Pick your side.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Not to mention Porter scooping up a lot of the embraer guys in YYZ and now YUL. Jazz is bleeding from all sides

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:27 am
Not to mention Porter scooping up a lot of the embraer guys in YYZ and now YUL. Jazz is bleeding from all sides
What has Jazz done in the last 12 months to demonstrate that it wants to attract and retain pilots?

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:52 am
goleafsgo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:27 am

What has Jazz done in the last 12 months to demonstrate that it wants to attract and retain pilots?
They keep hiring, and offer more spots per ground school seats to ensure they keep getting classes of 20.

They just think they can keep doing the same thing as they have for 40 years. They think the situation is temporary. They are idiots, and their schedule ans network is suffering.

But not to worry, PAL is just doing extra flying, not taking away our flying. Even though they will be flying the same routes. And that we are already doing 17% less than last summer.

Give it another month and we will see a massive reduction in August.

haironfire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by haironfire »

If Jazz seriously wants to make it more desirable to hire maybe they should look at their asinine policy about a lottery during GS to decide what base and airplane equipment you will employed on. This is the reason I would NEVER leave a good job to go to an unknown and possibly impossible working environment. At least at the other airlines (except AC) you can make an informed decision on whether it is worth going there.

Little Star
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Little Star »

truedude wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:25 pm
Little Star wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:15 pm If PAL leases Q4s from CHR and starts flying for AC...

What's your point? Does nothing to fix the regional feed for mainline. Now PAL and Jazz are both trying to hire the same pilots. Like robbing Peter to pay Paul. They still need to fix the fundamental problem to attracting pilots at the regional level. And that is pay.
To answer your question, Calin still wins.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Little Star wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:16 pm
truedude wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:25 pm

To answer your question, Calin still wins.
If there is a lower bidder, AC will gravitate in that direction.

Plus, this gives AC an opportunity to ‘audition’ PAL to see if they would like to extend or expand the relationship after 2025.

Little Star
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Little Star »

PAL will be well positioned to fly the ES-30 in 2028 under the AC Express banner rather than a “code share” partner.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Little Star wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:30 pm PAL will be well positioned to fly the ES-30 in 2028 under the AC Express banner rather than a “code share” partner.
Lol. That aircraft ain’t getting off the ground by 2050.

But don’t discount PAL. Rudder is right, AC goes to the low bidder. It’s been done before countless times and will continue to cycle through “cost effectiveness” when it comes to airlines.

Pilots got scared at a vulnerable time and Signing a 17 year contract was the stupidest idea anyone could possibly dream up in aviation. Good luck trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”