Sky regional 2.0

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Sky regional 2.0

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Earlier this morning, Air Canada and Chorus together issued a press release providing comment on Air Canada's arrangement for additional flying capacity with another airline for up to six De Havilland Canada DHC-8 aircraft. There is no impact to our capacity purchase agreement (CPA) with Air Canada. The comments provided in the press release are below:
"Jazz is our long-term Air Canada Express partner, and we are working together to increase flying activity within the framework of our existing CPA given the current, industry wide pilot situation. As these efforts continue, and to help meet the needs and expectations of the travelling public, Air Canada has entered into a bridging arrangement with another airline to provide additional regional capacity on select routes in eastern Canada," said Mr. Michael Rousseau, President and Chief Executive Officer of Air Canada.
"Chorus understands that Air Canada is increasing capacity to meet travel demand and that the addition of these aircraft is a bridging solution. We confirm that this agreement does not impact Chorus financially," said Mr. Colin Copp, President and Chief Executive Officer of Chorus.

Thoughts?
---------- ADS -----------

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Sky regional 2.0

Post by truedude »

Get you resume ready and grab a lifeboat.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

It worked last time.

You expect them not to try the same tactic again?

Last time there wasn’t a pilot shortage though.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Are they expecting they can pay lower wages than Jazz? :shock:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:10 am Earlier this morning, Air Canada and Chorus together issued a press release providing comment on Air Canada's arrangement for additional flying capacity with another airline for up to six De Havilland Canada DHC-8 aircraft. There is no impact to our capacity purchase agreement (CPA) with Air Canada. The comments provided in the press release are below:
"Jazz is our long-term Air Canada Express partner, and we are working together to increase flying activity within the framework of our existing CPA given the current, industry wide pilot situation. As these efforts continue, and to help meet the needs and expectations of the travelling public, Air Canada has entered into a bridging arrangement with another airline to provide additional regional capacity on select routes in eastern Canada," said Mr. Michael Rousseau, President and Chief Executive Officer of Air Canada.
"Chorus understands that Air Canada is increasing capacity to meet travel demand and that the addition of these aircraft is a bridging solution. We confirm that this agreement does not impact Chorus financially," said Mr. Colin Copp, President and Chief Executive Officer of Chorus.

Thoughts?
CHR may have finally acknowledged inability to operate planned block hours due to pilot staffing issues (attrition/retention/training).

Notwithstanding the terms of the CPA, CHR may have agreed that AC shall be permitted to contract Express 78 seat flying flying to a third party on a ‘bridging’ basis. The bridge likely being the reduced Jazz operated Express fleet post 2025 when less Jazz pilots will be required due to a much smaller Jazz operated Express CPA fleet.

If this was a negotiation, CHR would have had little or no leverage.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Funny though, this along with the flow (trickle) to AC is only going to exacerbate the pilot shortage at Jazz. Not exactly an appealing place to come to now and junior pilots will be looking elsewhere even more.

Let’s Go Brandon
truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:49 am Funny though, this along with the flow (trickle) to AC is only going to exacerbate the pilot shortage at Jazz. Not exactly an appealing place to come to now and junior pilots will be looking elsewhere even more.
They are playing the game with an outdated play book. The best thing we can do is shrugg and laugh at their desperation.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

PAL is part of the EIC group, will we see history repeat itself in a few years with various other players providing for AC like the Nova, Ontario, and BC days? Instead it will be PAL, Perimeter, and Calm Air.
Stranger things have happened.

bear98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bear98 »

Heard from a pretty good source, it’s PAL airlines gonna be taking up the flying

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

It is PAL, and they are supposedly picking up another 6 Dash-8 400’s just to cover the AC flying.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

truedude wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:22 am Get you resume ready and grab a lifeboat.
lol yep.

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

I thought the deal in 2019 at Jazz had a stipulation that Jazz would be the only airline to operate 76 seat aircraft for AC?

Or did Chorus just throw that away and give AC what they wanted? Another whipsaw?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

airbussy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:07 pm I thought the deal in 2019 at Jazz had a stipulation that Jazz would be the only airline to operate 76 seat aircraft for AC?

Or did Chorus just throw that away and give AC what they wanted? Another whipsaw?
Seems that way. Another contract violation. I guess these things are dynamic, if only it was known years ago. But it sounds like CHR may have agreed to a blended agreement in order not to lose out overall. So….. win/win… or lose/lose?

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:44 pm
airbussy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:07 pm I thought the deal in 2019 at Jazz had a stipulation that Jazz would be the only airline to operate 76 seat aircraft for AC?

Seems that way. Another contract violation. I guess these things are dynamic, if only it was known years ago. But it sounds like CHR may have agreed to a blended agreement in order not to lose out overall. So….. win/win… or lose/lose?
Chorus may have agreed, but IIRC it's in the collective agreement under Scope provisions. So the question is did ALPA agree to this? I find that hard to believe after a decade of working to bring all the CPA flying back under one roof.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

airbussy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:02 pm
CaptDukeNukem wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:44 pm

Chorus may have agreed, but IIRC it's in the collective agreement under Scope provisions. So the question is did ALPA agree to this? I find that hard to believe after a decade of working to bring all the CPA flying back under one roof.
ALPA most definitely did not agree to it. And you can be assured they will respond. This is a clear violation. But I do enjoy how we went from, there is no pilot shortage; and groundschools are full! To , we have a "Pilot situatuon"

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Sky Regional 2.0 is comical.

Sky Regional was brought on to AC express because it was an non-unionized airline. AC wanted to leverage them in negotiating tactics with at the time one of the better CAs in the industry (Jazz). Jazz was one of the only unionized express carriers in a sea of them (GGN, EVAS, SR) and it showed in their QOL.

Since that time it seemed to have worked. Jazz CBA has become one of the worst CBAs in the industry. The length of it too is insane.

PAL is ALPA and someone posted their CBA on their subforum. At a glance it's better than Jazz's. Higher rates, full commuting policy, etc.

As a Jazz employee what do you do? Flow through has become a meme, your contract length is embarrassing (no strike or lockout action until 2035), pay is lowest in the industry, now you're losing your flying because of a "bridging clause".

If I were a Atlantic commuting Jazz captain I'd look to go to PAL DEC, not have to commute, work there for a year then get a job at AC like every other regional captain who's not at Jazz.

Maybe a mass exodus is what Jazz needs to see to get back to a bargaining table and work out a better way to retain and attract talent like they used to.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

FL007 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:31 am
As a Jazz employee what do you do? Flow through has become a meme, your contract length is embarrassing (no strike or lockout action until 2035), pay is lowest in the industry, now you're losing your flying because of a "bridging clause".
Could one of the legal types on here (JBI? Bede?) explain, if the company (Jazz) is in violation of the contract in two ways, why the pilots are being held to a no strike clause? And, what would happen if they were to walk out wildcat?

Or, is it that there are just 3 types of pilots at jazz: 1.) Older captains who are at the top of the payscale, and don't give a shti any more; 2.) Younger F/Os who are just happy to be flying a Q rather than schlepping pop 'n chips to Ft.Lake Nowhere; and 3.) mid-rangers who are still holding out for AC, and who don't want to rock the boat for fear they'll be black-listed...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

North Shore wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:22 pm
Could one of the legal types on here (JBI? Bede?) explain, if the company (Jazz) is in violation of the contract in two ways, why the pilots are being held to a no strike clause? And, what would happen if they were to walk out wildcat?

Or, is it that there are just 3 types of pilots at jazz: 1.) Older captains who are at the top of the payscale, and don't give a shti any more; 2.) Younger F/Os who are just happy to be flying a Q rather than schlepping pop 'n chips to Ft.Lake Nowhere; and 3.) mid-rangers who are still holding out for AC, and who don't want to rock the boat for fear they'll be black-listed...
Yea I’m with you on this one. Here are my thoughts on your three pilot groups you mentioned :

1) “might as well wait it out, less than 10 years to go, besides… I’m on the A scale. Also, make those rookies pay my LTD when my blood pressure is too high, I spent 6 years In the bush.”
2) “OMG, a Q4?!?!?!?!?!?!? I can’t believe it, it’s basically as big as 757. Do I need to send a cheque for my type rating?”
3) “AC is totally gonna be hiring more jazz next month, I did my interview 9 months ago, my number is soon for sure. What does a carrot taste like?”

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

CaptDukeNukem wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:59 pm
North Shore wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:22 pm

Yea I’m with you on this one. Here are my thoughts on your three pilot groups you mentioned :

1) “might as well wait it out, less than 10 years to go, besides… I’m on the A scale. Also, make those rookies pay my LTD when my blood pressure is too high, I spent 6 years In the bush.”
2) “OMG, a Q4?!?!?!?!?!?!? I can’t believe it, it’s basically as big as 757. Do I need to send a cheque for my type rating?”
3) “AC is totally gonna be hiring more jazz next month, I did my interview 9 months ago, my number is soon for sure. What does a carrot taste like?”
1 and 3 completely nailed it, both groups are just spectators in this. 1 is in a comfortable economic position waiting until they retire where they'll silently disappear from the list. 3 are in the same purgatory as a 702 pilot waiting for their first 705 job, except they have a slightly better QOL.

2 will quickly become poisoned when their classmates who chose other companies are getting a call at AC years before them.

There is a 4th group which is relatively new to Jazz: those new BOTL DECs that Jazz has been relying heavily on. That's the group that should be the most vocal about this - though they are the extreme minority. They have nothing to lose going to another company DEC and becoming BOTL there, and they're not in the queue for "Flow" yet.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

There are a pile of us in the middle, hired into the 'new' conditions that started 8 years ago that had plans to stay here. For a myriad of reasons.

Jazz is now no longer attractive to that group, who are very vocal and wanted to see this place succeed. Its a shame CHR and AC management are stuck in the 90's and either have some wild bizarre master plan to hold on to the garbage of three decades ago, or are so foolish and unaware as to whats going on that they'll collapse jazz. Off maybe that is the plan.

If this is how they force our group to AC, they're mistaken. We simply will look elsewhere instead of the abomination that is flat pay.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”