Air Canada Partners With PAL Airlines To Boost Regional Connectivity

Post by sullecpt »

---------- ADS -----------

bear98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Canada Partners With PAL Airlines To Boost Regional Connectivity

Post by bear98 »

sullecpt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:54 pm https://simpleflying.com/air-canada-pal ... agreement/

Interesting...
I’d like to know where they are getting the pilots for that lol

sullecpt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sullecpt »

bear98 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:06 pm
sullecpt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:54 pm https://simpleflying.com/air-canada-pal ... agreement/

Interesting...
PAL owns Moncton Flight College. Easy way to get some ball and chain FO's.

bear98
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bear98 »

sullecpt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:48 pm
bear98 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:06 pm

Interesting...
PAL owns Moncton Flight College. Easy way to get some ball and chain FO's.
Forgot about that, that’s only 50% of the battle, trying to get captains for what they pay is gonna be hard

fixnfly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fixnfly »

6 Q400s? That's 30-40 captains. Good luck finding and training them in the next couple months. Jazz certainly isn't able to

sullecpt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sullecpt »

fixnfly wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:42 pm 6 Q400s? That's 30-40 captains. Good luck finding and training them in the next couple months. Jazz certainly isn't able to
No shortage of byys in the city willing to pack up and move home to the east coast. They will fill that immediately

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

sullecpt wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:54 pm
fixnfly wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:42 pm 6 Q400s? That's 30-40 captains. Good luck finding and training them in the next couple months. Jazz certainly isn't able to
No shortage of byys in the city willing to pack up and move home to the east coast. They will fill that immediately
I disagree, PAL has been operating Q400 for some time, why have they been hiring the whole time?

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

They’re currently running classes all summer at least

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

PAL has lots a number of FOs lately to other regionals including Jazz. Upgrades are long at PAL, and the right to left seat progression is broken there just like it is everywhere. They might be able to manage a year or two, but as AC continues gobbling up pilots to hit their 6000 pilot target I can't see EIC/Jazz/Porter/Encore all being able to survive.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

airbussy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:48 pm PAL has lots a number of FOs lately to other regionals including Jazz. Upgrades are long at PAL, and the right to left seat progression is broken there just like it is everywhere. They might be able to manage a year or two, but as AC continues gobbling up pilots to hit their 6000 pilot target I can't see EIC/Jazz/Porter/Encore all being able to survive.
In 2010 CR said that he would never be ‘held hostage’ by Jazz again (he meant the Jazz pilots who were in collective bargaining). Perhaps MR feels the same way.

Problem in 2023 is that there is no hostage taking going on. It is simply the law of supply and demand. Pilots are in short supply and high demand.

Any carrier looking to secure Tier 2 lift should be wary of any regional capacity provider promising the moon. There is a finite supply of pilots to be hired and the operator offering the least attractive WAWCON will get the appropriate applicant response and suffer commensurate Pilot retention problems.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

airbussy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:48 pm PAL has lots a number of FOs lately to other regionals including Jazz. Upgrades are long at PAL, and the right to left seat progression is broken there just like it is everywhere. They might be able to manage a year or two, but as AC continues gobbling up pilots to hit their 6000 pilot target I can't see EIC/Jazz/Porter/Encore all being able to survive.
Who ever pays more will win. Currently this is Porter in the regional market. Encore is suffering a massive attrition, which jazz will soon follow.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

If things get worse at Jazz I’m going to consider Porter and I’ve been at Jazz a long time.

Let’s Go Brandon
a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:52 am If things get worse at Jazz I’m going to consider Porter and I’ve been at Jazz a long time.
My advice don't wait! Bail now. Valuable seniority numbers across the industry is being scooped up! Porter is expecting in total 50 E2's. Not sure where they will get all the pilots though lol

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

rudder wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:07 am
In 2010 CR said that he would never be ‘held hostage’ by Jazz again (he meant the Jazz pilots who were in collective bargaining). Perhaps MR feels the same way.

Problem in 2023 is that there is no hostage taking going on. It is simply the law of supply and demand. Pilots are in short supply and high demand.

Any carrier looking to secure Tier 2 lift should be wary of any regional capacity provider promising the moon. There is a finite supply of pilots to be hired and the operator offering the least attractive WAWCON will get the appropriate applicant response and suffer commensurate Pilot retention problems.
We'll never know how MR feels because he's been an invisible CEO. At least CR said what he was going to do, and did it. The current executive at AC are drifting in the breeze without any real direction, it seems.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

airbussy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:50 pm
rudder wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:07 am

We'll never know how MR feels because he's been an invisible CEO. At least CR said what he was going to do, and did it. The current executive at AC are drifting in the breeze without any real direction, it seems.
Exactly, AC might be making money now but that is still a result of CR. This new CEO has made a number of Mis-steps and have many saying, WTF.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:52 am If things get worse at Jazz I’m going to consider Porter and I’ve been at Jazz a long time.
Come on over. The water’s nice.

Nick678
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nick678 »

Willing to bet that anyone at pal who is trying to get to AC will see their resume go into a different pile. AC can’t afford to “drain” their regionals

If only jazz had made an agreement to be the exclusive regional carrier for AC when it absorbed sky, Darn eh

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”