New immigration program to fill in-demand jobs. Pilots made the list.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tango308
Rank 3
Rank 3

New immigration program to fill in-demand jobs. Pilots made the list.

Post by tango308 »

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/202 ... -jobs.html

Goodbye to any meaningful wages increase, libs just opening the doors to "in-demand" professionals.
---------- ADS -----------

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New immigration program to fill in-demand jobs. Pilots made the list.

Post by JBI »

Both students and Flight Instructors have had a special Permanent Resident status process for years. It's still a long an expensive process. Just because they make the immigration/PR process a little faster, doesn't mean it's suddenly going to open the flood gates.

With no details announced and the requirement for applicant to still make full licence conversions, it's not time to shout that the sky is falling. Still worth keeping an eye on though.

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

Wow could this government be more clueless?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Let's think about this for a moment. Who would apply for this?

On the one hand low time pilots who can't find a job in their home country. They will likely arrive here with 500 hours or less. There is no shortage of 500 hour pilots here, but it also won't affect candidates at the airlines. It's the 2000+ hour pilots that are getting scarce.

On the other hand we can have experience pilots using this stream to get into Canada. Why would they want to do that? They will likely be making more in their home country. People with experience applying, will likely genuinely want to move to Canada. Once they are in, they might not want to fly anymore when realizing they start at the seniority bottom once again, or perhaps they do. But that group won't be that big.

From a pilot wage point of view, I don't think this will have a big negative effect.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Pirep1234
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pirep1234 »

I could see Americans using this to build hours to 1500 instead of instructing.

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

Americans already have a lot of opportunity in Alaska IF they choose to go. A lot don't. You think they'll want to go up to LaRonge or Red Lake and do the same thing but in a worse place?

I can't see it happening.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

No but they could go to Jazz with 500hrs, get their 1500hrs and head south again for all the fame and fortune.

I know a guy who just did his Jazz sim eval with a 500hr flight instructor from Maine. (Probably has dual citizenship)

airbussy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by airbussy »

This is why we need ALPA to lobby the US Government to enforce the same 1500 rule on foreign airlines flying American citizens around in US airspace.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Pirep1234 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:38 pm I could see Americans using this to build hours to 1500 instead of instructing.
i though the border was closed both ways?

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

digits_ wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:13 pm Let's think about this for a moment. Who would apply for this?

On the one hand low time pilots who can't find a job in their home country. They will likely arrive here with 500 hours or less. There is no shortage of 500 hour pilots here, but it also won't affect candidates at the airlines. It's the 2000+ hour pilots that are getting scarce.

On the other hand we can have experience pilots using this stream to get into Canada. Why would they want to do that? They will likely be making more in their home country. People with experience applying, will likely genuinely want to move to Canada. Once they are in, they might not want to fly anymore when realizing they start at the seniority bottom once again, or perhaps they do. But that group won't be that big.

From a pilot wage point of view, I don't think this will have a big negative effect.
2000 hour pilots are scarce? I have 2700 hours and I cant find a decent job anywhere. I've applied at 21 places and got 3 interviews and one job offer which I turned down because it was near minimum wage. I've met the minimums for everything I applied at. One place I applied at even said they were so desperate they were looking overseas for pilots and he never called me back. Im not saying I'm better than the next pilot but is there a shortage or not? Seems like there is'nt, period

Goodman5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodman5 »

jakeandelwood wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:16 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:13 pm Let's think about this for a moment. Who would apply for this?

2000 hour pilots are scarce? I have 2700 hours and I cant find a decent job anywhere. I've applied at 21 places and got 3 interviews and one job offer which I turned down because it was near minimum wage. I've met the minimums for everything I applied at. One place I applied at even said they were so desperate they were looking overseas for pilots and he never called me back. Im not saying I'm better than the next pilot but is there a shortage or not? Seems like there is'nt, period
Sorry mate, if you can’t find work in this climate with 2700 hours there’s something else going on.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Goodman5 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:01 pm
jakeandelwood wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:16 pm

Sorry mate, if you can’t find work in this climate with 2700 hours there’s something else going on.
Wha does that 2700 hours consist of? If your turning down regional’s because of their poverty wages kudos to you but doesn’t seem to getting you ahead

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I dont know why, no criminal record, no violations. 2/3rds of my time is multi IFR with about 300 hrs of that pic, the rest is single engine. I thought maybe its because I'm 50, but with all the employers preaching diversity now that shouldnt be an issue, but then again maybe they figure a 50 year old has a mortgage etc and wont last making what they start you off at

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:19 am I dont know why, no criminal record, no violations. 2/3rds of my time is multi IFR with about 300 hrs of that pic, the rest is single engine. I thought maybe its because I'm 50, but with all the employers preaching diversity now that shouldnt be an issue, but then again maybe they figure a 50 year old has a mortgage etc and wont last making what they start you off at
Multi-ifr on a twin piston or turbo prop? The other 900ish is in single piston. If your answer is twin piston that’s most likely what’s holding you back, if there’s no other red flags in your interviews. Are you only applying to regionals or anything that will take your resume?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

airbussy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:12 pm Wow could this government be more clueless?
Clueless?

They are importing more Liberal Voters every year!

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:58 am
airbussy wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:12 pm Wow could this government be more clueless?
Clueless?

Politics is a free market.

There is nothing other than the outdated and backwards--dare I say overly racist--American style ultra right conservatism that's preventing them from capturing a demographic that's mostly hard working and espousing traditional family values.

Should be like a fox in a hen house but conservative leadership is too stupid.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

‘Bob’ wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:43 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:58 am
Clueless?

Politics is a free market.

There is nothing other than the outdated and backwards--dare I say overly racist--American style ultra right conservatism that's preventing them from capturing a demographic that's mostly hard working and espousing traditional family values.

Should be like a fox in a hen house but conservative leadership is too stupid.

You’re linking conservative voters in Canada with overt racism. Please elaborate.

I am Really curious about how being against TFW’s — I am — in the name of suppression of wages in Canada, and being against illegal immigration in the US — I also am— a vast majority who are illegally paid below minimum wages, often under documented slave labour conditions, often under threat of being deported if they complain, is being spun as “Racist”.

Radical hard left garbage.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

When your primary objection to TFWs Rookie, seems to be that they are Liberal voters (ignoring your strawman about US illegal immigration) you say the quiet part out loud. Most immigrants to this country are generally of conservative bent. That they may not vote conservative is telling how poor of a job conservative political leadership does of courting such voters. For two groups that share more in common politically, what issue do you think drives - if it even does - immigrants away from conservative candidates?

I mean the riding I come from has a large Asian population and is one of the strongest bastions of Conservative voters. Sort of leads me to believe you haven't really looked outside your own bubble much.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Blueontop wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:53 am
jakeandelwood wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:19 am I dont know why, no criminal record, no violations. 2/3rds of my time is multi IFR with about 300 hrs of that pic, the rest is single engine. I thought maybe its because I'm 50, but with all the employers preaching diversity now that shouldnt be an issue, but then again maybe they figure a 50 year old has a mortgage etc and wont last making what they start you off at
Multi-ifr on a twin piston or turbo prop? The other 900ish is in single piston. If your answer is twin piston that’s most likely what’s holding you back, if there’s no other red flags in your interviews. Are you only applying to regionals or anything that will take your resume?
Well, accepting poverty wages to get ahead always has been the problem in this industry hasnt it? Problem i guess for me is I'm not 20 anymore living at home and can afford that. My multi time is mostly split evenly between turbine and piston but the pic multi is piston, no multi pic turbine. I've been applying to anything i have the hours and credentials for and i dont really care what i fly, i always thought survey flying might be my thing.

Return to “General Comments”