Air Canada Pilots Pull Out

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FelixGustof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air Canada Pilots Pull Out

Post by FelixGustof »

Sounds like the pilots are pulling out?

Does that mean there is a strike soon?

I was looking at booking a flight for this summer, maybe I should book thru someone else?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-ca ... -1.6858963

"Air Canada's pilots are pulling out of their nine-year-old labour framework with the airline in a bid to renegotiate a better deal starting this summer.

The Air Canada pilots' group, which only joined the larger Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) this month, decided to exercise an option that was in their current contract that would allow them to pull out of the 10-year pact early. The existing deal was set to expire next year, and the deadline to exercise that escape clause was Monday.

After triggering the exit clause, the agreement will now expire at the end of September 2023, and the move means pilots will "enter the bargaining process this summer, once the union provides their notice to bargain to Air Canada."

"Our pilots have elected to use the option that was available to them to terminate the collective agreement after nine years," the airline told CBC News in a statement.

"The current agreement ... is a testimony of the productive relationship we have with our pilots. We expect the upcoming negotiations to be conducted in this same spirit."

Canadian airline staff say they are underpaid
Under the existing pact that was signed in 2014, the 4,500 members of Air Canada's pilots' union have gotten a two per cent raise every year.

A shortage of pilots is making travel chaos in Canada even worse
Staff at Canadian airlines have long complained they are significantly underpaid compared to what their compatriots at U.S. airlines get. Cabin and flight crew at Delta Air Lines recently negotiated a new pact that got them a 34 per cent raise. American Airlines pilots authorized a strike earlier this month before reaching a preliminary deal last week.

The move by Air Canada's pilots comes after their compatriots at rival WestJet managed to secure raises averaging 24 per cent over the next four years in a last-minute deal that narrowly avoided a strike earlier this month."
---------- ADS -----------

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Air Canada Pilots Pull Out

Post by NotDirty! »

There is no chance of a strike this summer.
In order to legally strike, there is a months long process that must be followed.

On the other hand, it’s kind of funny the spin that has been put on this… in order to remain in the 10-year framework, the company had to meet certain benchmarks with respect to fleet size. They have not operated enough widebody aircraft since March 2020.
It is less about the pilots “pulling out” as it is about the company failing to meet goals.

We had the option to say “even though we know that the benchmarks have not been met, we will say they are anyways, and avoid going into bargaining at this time”. Which is what was done in May 2020, given the unique situation at that time. However in 2023, considering the heathy conditions for bargaining, there really wasn’t any other option than to end the framework.

FelixGustof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FelixGustof »

Can the pilots do some work to rule stuff this summer to put pressure on the company?

I remember reading here that union reps were doing OT?

Insane. Do they still do that during negotiations?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

FelixGustof wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:15 am Can the pilots do some work to rule stuff this summer to put pressure on the company?
No. You cannot take work action outside of when in a legal strike position.

FelixGustof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FelixGustof »

Bede wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:25 am
FelixGustof wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:15 am Can the pilots do some work to rule stuff this summer to put pressure on the company?
No. You cannot take work action outside of when in a legal strike position.
So when the phone rings for OT, the pilots have to do it on their days off?

I know things aren't great in this country for pilots but didn't realize it was slave like

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

FelixGustof wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:30 am So when the phone rings for OT, the pilots have to do it on their days off?
That's a good question. No one can direct you to do or don't do overtime. However, if the company notices a concerted effort to avoid OT, the union could be liable.

In the AlumaSafway case, this scenario played out and the workers were ordered to cease and desist.
https://canlii.ca/t/jrlvj
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6568929

FelixGustof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FelixGustof »

Bede wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:38 am
FelixGustof wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:30 am So when the phone rings for OT, the pilots have to do it on their days off?
That's a good question. No one can direct you to do or don't do overtime. However, if the company notices a concerted effort to avoid OT, the union could be liable.

In the AlumaSafway case, this scenario played out and the workers were ordered to cease and desist.
https://canlii.ca/t/jrlvj
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6568929
Good thing the main offices aren't in Alberta! Yikes!!

Pretty clear here they can't make you do voluntary OT in that article

TheAlcalde
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheAlcalde »

A lot of the self-serving, old guard, company yes-men “union reps” have finally stepped down. Looking at you YVR and YUL ex-LEC and of course M M. What a disgrace to our pilot group.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

TheAlcalde wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:04 am

A lot of the self-serving, old guard, company yes-men “union reps” have finally stepped down. Looking at you YVR and YUL ex-LEC and of course M M. What a disgrace to our pilot group.
Representatives can either focus on their elected/appointed duties or focus on their T4.

If they prefer to focus on their T4, then they should step down (or be replaced).

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

"Adams said there's nothing in the labour relations board's decision that could compel workers to accept overtime."

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:11 am "Adams said there's nothing in the labour relations board's decision that could compel workers to accept overtime."

LOL good ol Nancy

FelixGustof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FelixGustof »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:11 am "Adams said there's nothing in the labour relations board's decision that could compel workers to accept overtime."

That's what I read to

Couldn't imagine the leverage a group could have by just doing that this summer

ALPAisAwesome
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ALPAisAwesome »

Oops.. Looks like our first screwup. Darn. Back to ACPA for now I guess?

ReturnoftheMike
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ReturnoftheMike »

ALPAisAwesome wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:24 am Oops.. Looks like our first screwup. Darn. Back to ACPA for now I guess?
That's what I think!

maverick12
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by maverick12 »

Pull out game strong

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Just move that S five spaces to the right :lol:

ALPAisAwesome
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ALPAisAwesome »

I am sure ALPA would tell us if the CIRB is reviewing our merger. Right?

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

ALPAisAwesome wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:41 pm I am sure ALPA would tell us if the CIRB is reviewing our merger. Right?
I’m sure ALPA would tell you if your shoes didn’t match your belt. Right?

(Equally as relevant).

stall
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stall »

ALPAisAwesome wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:41 pm I am sure ALPA would tell us if the CIRB is reviewing our merger. Right?
Probably want to look at the books and all the DFRs against the reps at ACPA

I'm sure they are suspicious how it took so long to merge given AC has the lowest paid pilots on the planet

(Kazakhstan Airlines doesn't count)

flyingfool
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyingfool »

ACPA

Worst. Representation. Ever.

Return to “Air Canada”