312 flights cancelled in the last 4 days.

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

312 flights cancelled in the last 4 days.

Post by link821 »

And it’s only the beginning.
---------- ADS -----------

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 312 flights cancelled in the last 4 days.

Post by truedude »

link821 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:48 am And it’s only the beginning.
As sad as it is, I've stopped carying. If the people in charge don't care enough to address the issues, I at the bottom certainly don't.

But July should be even better.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Accountability?

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

It will only get worse. Bye bye to most of the temp base options as a lot of YYC & YVR pilots have offers in upcoming WestJet ground schools.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:54 pm It will only get worse. Bye bye to most of the temp base options as a lot of YYC & YVR pilots have offers in upcoming WestJet ground schools.

Or have one foot out the door to there or elsewhere. It's really been a ball drop (a heavy medicine ball).

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

What's the source on this number? (genuine question, not trying to be a smart@$$)

DouglasFir
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DouglasFir »

If this is true … I don’t understand why something more substantive isn’t being done?

letting the status quo continue does not illicit much in the way of positive feelings about the longevity of the company or about our worth as employees.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:54 pm It will only get worse. Bye bye to most of the temp base options as a lot of YYC & YVR pilots have offers in upcoming WestJet ground schools.
Most of the 90 day limits will be expiring anyway.

YYC base size should have been dealt with years ago. Now instead of being forced off base in a down bid (when there were few local opportunities) pilots who want to remain local has several attractive options.

Once again - making no decision is a decision. And doing nothing is a plan, just not a very effective one.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:42 pm

YYC base size should have been dealt with years ago. Now instead of being forced off base in a down bid (when there were few local opportunities) pilots who want to remain local has several attractive options.

Once again - making no decision is a decision. And doing nothing is a plan, just not a very effective one.
They could also DH crews if they want to keep pilots. But forcing all these temp bases have made the decision to leave easy for some.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:44 pm

They could also DH crews if they want to keep pilots. But forcing all these temp bases have made the decision to leave easy for some.
YYC is not a ‘focus city’ for AC and has not been for a long time. It is no more a focus city than YHZ/YWG/YOW. There was the opportunity to address geographical staffing in the last equipment bid. The decision was to do nothing.

Like most decisions, time will be assistive in judging the correctness of the decision.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:56 pm

YYC is not a ‘focus city’ for AC and has not been for a long time. It is no more a focus city than YHZ/YWG/YOW. There was the opportunity to address geographical staffing in the last equipment bid. The decision was to do nothing.

Like most decisions, time will be assistive in judging the correctness of the decision.
How do you address it without most people who live there quiting?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:06 pm
rudder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:56 pm

How do you address it without most people who live there quiting?
Well, that may become moot.

Western pilots are already looking for alternatives. YYC in particular. Therefore, attrition is already shrinking the base.

And if there are forced reductions resulting from the August bid, more will leave.

The point is that the future of the YYC base is tenuous. It always has been. This is not a new topic.

I would be surprised to see the YYC CRJ base survive the August bid. It seems with the migration of historical CRJ900 flying out of YVR to AC, there is just not the need for the volume of western based CRJ pilots that there was prior to COVID.

Perpetual DH to fly is not sustainable. Likely AC would have an issue with that as well.

Change is coming. And it will likely affect well beyond the west.

link821
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by link821 »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:00 pm What's the source on this number? (genuine question, not trying to be a smart@$$)
FlightAware keeps track of all the cancellations and delays of all airlines I guess. Just added up all the totals for the last few days.

Looks like todays total ended up being 103 cancelled, 19% of our daily flights.

Nick678
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Nick678 »

Goal should be 100% until issues are resolved

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I heard we are averaging over 1 resignation a day. :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Nick678 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:44 am Goal should be 100% until issues are resolved
Notwithstanding WXX/MTC/ATC - flight completion appears under measurable duress.

The resolution may include commercial decisions beyond what is already in the public space (previously announced block hour reductions and PAL).

There are already significant numbers of Jazz/Express airframes sitting idle on hangar lines on weekdays.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

Increasingly, I am starting to believe that whatever solution arrises from all this, will be designed to screw us.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:56 am I heard we are averaging over 1 resignation a day. :wink:
Only?
I'm surprised.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

kiaszceski wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:13 am
Inverted2 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:56 am I heard we are averaging over 1 resignation a day. :wink:
Only?
I'm surprised.
If flow was being honoured it would be 2+ per day.

Makes you wonder what the end game is at Jazz.

Crewbunk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Crewbunk »

rudder wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:28 am If flow was being honoured it would be 2+ per day.

Makes you wonder what the end game is at Jazz.
These are two excellent points. Funny that current pilot resignations are less than the previous agreement.

The end game at Jazz?

With my far too long time at AC, one thing I have learned … At any one time, the company is always 20 steps, 1000 miles and 12 months ahead of the pilots. I think it would be extremely naive to think that current conditions at Jazz were not expected.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”