DHC-2 Aviation Headset

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

LionelZRH
Rank 0
Rank 0

DHC-2 Aviation Headset

Post by LionelZRH »

I am looking for some information which headset other DHC-2 pilots use.

We have a long David Clark history and we upgraded to the One-X a couple years ago. Before that we mainly used some basic David Clark's but also some of the first generation David Clark noise cancelling. The first generation noise cancelling didn't make a huge difference in the DHC-2 cockpit. The One-X doesn't seem to be able to deal with the noise level of the DHC-2 at all. It performs phenomenally in a C172 cockpit but it makes very loud crackling noise in the DHC-2 to a point that it's painful. We sent our first One-X three times to David Clark and they insisted that it was working fine while it obviously didn't work in our DHC-2.

Does anyone have experience with the Bose A20/A30 or the Lightspeed Zulu in the DHC-2? Any other recommendations?
---------- ADS -----------

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: DHC-2 Aviation Headset

Post by sarg »

I used the DC H10-13X for years on -2,-3 and -6 and Jetstream with no issues.

I had a friend loan me his A20 on a few occasions the Bose has almost no passive NR, so if the active fails you have nothing at least the DC still give you passive reduction. The Bose where more comfortable for a long day.

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

The Bose suck at high power in the beav, but are ok in cruise as long as you adjust them properly over your ears. Overall I think the light speeds were better in the machine, but I’ve had some quality issues with them.

Capt. Nerdly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Capt. Nerdly »

I use the Bose A20 in the Beaver and used it in the Polish Otter as well and find it works well. You do pick up a little extra noise at takeoff but really for how long is that. More comfortable than the DC head clamps but the trade off as mentioned is less passive noise cancelling so I keep a spare set of batteries handy just in case. I find they made a world of difference clarity wise compared to the DC H10-13X I used to use.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Capt Nerdly. Now there is a name I haven't heard for well over a decade! Hope all has been well since the Chimo days!

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
enbt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by enbt »

I use the Lightspeed Zulu in a -2 and 3T, works great! Better passive noise cancelling than Bose but I still always keep a spare set of batteries in my bag.

CuriousGrouse
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CuriousGrouse »

The Zulu’s are the best for louder cockpits

Used them in 185s, helicopters, etc

The Bose seem to shine in a quiet cockpit where it’s a loong flight

Vern
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vern »

scdriver wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:26 pm The Bose suck at high power in the beav, but are ok in cruise as long as you adjust them properly over your ears. Overall I think the light speeds were better in the machine, but I’ve had some quality issues with them.
Yeah I agree. At 36" the Bose just doesn't seem to be able to handle it. In cruise they are basically the same. I also had a couple issues with my Zulus but their customer service is really good. I would buy the Lightspeed either way just because they are cheaper. Mine are about 11 years old and have had a hard life, sent them in for repair twice and both times got them back within a couple days.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

Zulu 3s. Have zero complaints. Just make sure you have extra batteries! Great customer service. Sent in for repair after 3 years got them back in a short span. Basically got a whole new headset back.

Paulrick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Paulrick »

Lightspeed headsets are the only ones that seem to work well for me in the Beaver. I have the A20 and I treated myself to the new Delta Zulu this winter. The Delta Zulu does an amazing job.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”