Common Employer CIRB

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MaxAuto
Rank 2
Rank 2

Common Employer CIRB

Post by MaxAuto »

Did ALPA file for common employer yet?
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Common Employer CIRB

Post by Bede »

Yes.

See next FastRead.

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

Is this regarding encore hoping to merge their entire seniority list with westjet, with no flow to get on wj list?

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

canadian_aviator_4 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:10 pm Is this regarding encore hoping to merge their entire seniority list with westjet, with no flow to get on wj list?
No, management has stated that it will not give up the opportunity to exploit cheaper labour and divide the pilot group whenever it is convenient for them to do so.

I believe that the common employer ruling is for the WG -> WS integration.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:37 am
No, management has stated that it will not give up the opportunity to exploit cheaper labour and divide the pilot group whenever it is convenient for them to do so.

I thought this was already stipulated by the employer?

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 5
Rank 5

rudder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:40 am

Which part? Encore remaining a separate entity is something that has been explained to be a non-negotiable item.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

dontcallmeshirley wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:51 am
rudder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:40 am

Which part? Encore remaining a separate entity is something that has been explained to be a non-negotiable item.
WG/WS

dontcallmeshirley
Rank 5
Rank 5

rudder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:55 am WG/WS
Ongoing process.

onspeed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onspeed »

Listened to the podcast today, ALPA dangling upgrades at a senior base where sunwing is a very small player seems fairly disingenuous. If you’re YVR based Sunwing doesn’t fly much from there. Most of the wetleases that will be taken over are in the east.

Expectation management.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

onspeed wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:36 pm Listened to the podcast today, ALPA dangling upgrades at a senior base where sunwing is a very small player seems fairly disingenuous. If you’re YVR based Sunwing doesn’t fly much from there. Most of the wetleases that will be taken over are in the east.

Expectation management.
Listened to the podcast as well. I think you misunderstood the comment. MEC Vice Chair simply mentioning that he would like to see more upgrades and using Vancouver as an example (1: because that's where they were recording it and 2: it is the most senior base at the moment for upgrades). There's no suggestion that the upgrades will only or primarily be in YVR, just that there would be upgrades across the system once the efficiencies of the merger can be realized.

Even with most of Sunwing's flying being in the East, upgrades would occur in all bases with growth. YVR will no doubt continue to be the senior base, but efficiencies of more direct flying to sun destinations from YVR as well as more east-west connections would have the potential for growth.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

JBI wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:14 pm
onspeed wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:36 pm Listened to the podcast today, ALPA dangling upgrades at a senior base where sunwing is a very small player seems fairly disingenuous. If you’re YVR based Sunwing doesn’t fly much from there. Most of the wetleases that will be taken over are in the east.

Expectation management.
Listened to the podcast as well. I think you misunderstood the comment. MEC Vice Chair simply mentioning that he would like to see more upgrades and using Vancouver as an example (1: because that's where they were recording it and 2: it is the most senior base at the moment for upgrades). There's no suggestion that the upgrades will only or primarily be in YVR, just that there would be upgrades across the system once the efficiencies of the merger can be realized.

Even with most of Sunwing's flying being in the East, upgrades would occur in all bases with growth. YVR will no doubt continue to be the senior base, but efficiencies of more direct flying to sun destinations from YVR as well as more east-west connections would have the potential for growth.
Isn’t it implying that since there is no movement on the Westjet side with new tails/expansions, the upgrades will happen by bumping junior SWG capts (most of them based in YYC and YVR) once WJ integrates those SWG tails ?
Something that hasn’t been negotiated/arbitrated yet.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

daedalusx wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:37 pm
Isn’t it implying that since there is no movement on the Westjet side with new tails/expansions, the upgrades will happen by bumping junior SWG capts (most of them based in YYC and YVR) once WJ integrates those SWG tails ?
Something that hasn’t been negotiated/arbitrated yet.
That's not the implication at all.

WestJet has 15 additional Max 8 deliveries, 42 Max 10s on order plus 22 options. Add to the 8 "new" Swoop Max 8s and the 10 returning 737-800s, there are lots of planes that are not being flown as efficiently as possible due to 1- not having the staff for the busy high yield summer flying and 2- not having as much demand in the winter months/shoulder season.

The company wanted to do more flying last summer but simply didn't have the staffing. Over the winter and shoulder season, there's been a reduction in flying even with the Swoop liveried Sunwing wet lease flying. I think the goal for the company with the Sunwing integration is to have the staffing in summer to operate the higher yield summer travel flights and in the winter use the leisure flying to keep the fleet active with the sun flying. While I'm far from a blind optimist, the growth potential for both current WestJet and Sunwing pilots is there.

Return to “WestJet”