French?

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

RayJr
Rank 1
Rank 1

French?

Post by RayJr »

Hi Everyone,

Question for you veterans. How important is the ability to speak French in Corporate flying?

I know for the radio English is fine. But for jobs I see posted in YQB, YUL (and beyond) is there an expectation to be able to speak French?

Even if not a requirement, how beneficial would you say French is for corporate pilots?

Cheers

Ray
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: French?

Post by digits_ »

RayJr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:55 pm Hi Everyone,

Question for you veterans. How important is the ability to speak French in Corporate flying?

I know for the radio English is fine. But for jobs I see posted in YQB, YUL (and beyond) is there an expectation to be able to speak French?

Even if not a requirement, how beneficial would you say French is for corporate pilots?

Cheers

Ray
It helps, but it depends on the corporate clientele. Then again, today you probably don't even need to speak English if you're coming in with a valid PPC/typerating ;-)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

I've picked up Charter customers many times in Quebec and they are fine with just English. However an owner would be less tolerant with his full time crew. I have heard of guys not getting jobs because the owner wanted a French speaking crew, which is fine.

RayJr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RayJr »

digits_ wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:28 pm
RayJr wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:55 pm Hi Everyone,

Cheers

Ray
It helps, but it depends on the corporate clientele. Then again, today you probably don't even need to speak English if you're coming in with a valid PPC/typerating ;-)

That's hilarious :lol:

Thanks

RayJr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RayJr »

whistlerboy02 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:17 pm I've picked up Charter customers many times in Quebec and they are fine with just English. However an owner would be less tolerant with his full time crew. I have heard of guys not getting jobs because the owner wanted a French speaking crew, which is fine.
Makes sense, Thanks!

Return to “Corporate”