ICAO To Canadian CPL/IR conversion help

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Skybound172
Rank 0
Rank 0

ICAO To Canadian CPL/IR conversion help

Post by Skybound172 »

Hello,

I hope you all are well. I am writing this after trying to get information from transport canada and FTUs for a while but with no help.

I am looking forward to converting my ICAO CPL/IR to a Canadian one. I have already applied for a class 1 medical and I am hoping that it arrives soon and does not take a year like it usually does.

My main concern is regarding the breakdown of flight hours required for the CPL/IR conversion. I currently have 202 hours and a CPL with group 3 instrument rating or a single engine instrument rating.

When i contacted transport canada they broadly layout the CARs 421.30 which is for cpl only. I however have an instrument rating in these 202 hours as well as it was an integrated course. Now my question is that whether my existing flight hours would be sufficient for the issuance if A CPL/IR or i would need to accrue additional flight hours.

I fulfil all cars 421.30 requirements apart from the solo time which I'm short on by 15 hours but I also fulfil the cars requirements from cars 421.46 for IR as well within these 202 hours

My second question now. I want to get ny multi engine rating as well and Convert my se IR to a ME IR or a group 1 for reference. Now for that i would simply need to obtain a nulti engine rating and carry out my IR check in a multi engine aircraft?

I Greatly appreciate your time and assistance and any help would be wonderful. Please ask any questions that you may have regarding this as I may have been a bit confusing.

I look forward to your responses.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: ICAO To Canadian CPL/IR conversion help

Post by Aviatard »

For the CPL conversion you need to meet the experience requirements and as you’ve said you are short of solo hours. When you meet the experience requirement you need to do the written exam and the flight test.

For the instrument rating you also need to meet the experience requirements, complete the written exam and do a flight test. If the flight test is done in a multi-engine aircraft you will be issued a group 1 instrument rating. Of course you’ll need to have a multi-engine rating before doing the instrument rating flight test.

So to sum up:

- finish CPL experience requirements
- write CPL exam
- do CPL flight test
- do multi-engine rating and flight test
- finish instrument rating experience if not done already
- do instrument rating written exam
- do instrument rating flight test

* group 1 assumes it’s not a center line thrust aircraft
* providing you meet the exam prerequisites you may be able to write the exams before completing the flight test experience requirements. See CARS 421.13

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ICAO To Canadian CPL/IR conversion help

Post by digits_ »

You should try to find a school willing to help you through this. It will be slightly more complicated for them than training a Canadian student, but it shouldn't be prohibitive.

Note that you can write the CPL exam before you meet the license requirements. Likely even the flight test if need be. Make sure you can document the required dual time as well, covering the required exercises. TC might ask.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship

Return to “Flight Training”