Support Westjet AME's

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Victor1979
Rank 0
Rank 0

Support Westjet AME's

Post by Victor1979 »

To all Aircraft Maintenance Engineers:

The Idea of a having a legacy in terms of a successful career in aircraft maintenance, hinges mostly on the contributions one has imparted on a profession that continues to grow in size as well as complexity. It is with this in mind that I appeal to the contractors and retirees to consider their own legacy when accepting work on Westjet planes during any job action by Westjet Aircraft Engineers. Personally, I would be disappointed if my name was attached to a group of people who stood in the way during a pivotal moment for the Aircraft Maintenance profession.
Many of us have spent years contributing to an industry that is both rewarding and at times challenging. This is why myself and many other AME’s that work for companies other than Westjet, will unite and demand what is only fair for our profession, a profession that, from the earliest days of aviation, has consistently elevated the flying public as well as flight crews. Our legacy has, and will be, the hard work, professionalism and, most Importantly, our Maintenance Release of aircraft.
This is a pivotal moment for Aircraft Maintenance Engineers to unite as a profession and stand in solidarity with Westjet AME’s during what we hope will be a successful first contract.

In Solidarity
A fellow AME in Calgary
---------- ADS -----------

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Support Westjet AME's

Post by Pat Richard »

To any wannabe, or committed scab, I pray you all get whats coming to you if you cross the lines when the actual employees are fighting for a decent rate of pay and treatment.

You are simply garbage, and I hope people remember the names and faces of this garbage as it is a small industry.

Im not an employee, but a contractor with very desirable type endorsements to westjet, who is looking forward to telling any agency or heavy aero to go @#$! themselves if they call.

Stay united you guys. Most probably most of the handful of scabs will be shit anyway. Anybody good should not be tempted to go there.
WJ wont stay operable for long with scab maintenance

Wrench
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wrench »

Now is the time for ALL AME’s to stand together. Please remember, a rising tide lifts all boats.

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

It's official...

STRIKE VOTE AUTHORIZED

The company needs to get serious and come up with pretty hefty increases in quality of life, wages, and benefits if they are going to avoid a walkout. Ballots go out shortly to all members and have 7 days to return them. It wont take that long to get them back.

5degrees
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 5degrees »

Solidarity from the side that breaks the planes. High time the AMEs get the recognition and compensation they deserve :!:

lupin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lupin »

AMFA Communication concerning potential strike

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/aircraft ... er_android

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

One piece of advice. Always reject the first offer….always.
Other than that I’ll be flying AC until all is good.

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

I got the call to scab from heavy aero. I told them to go pound sand. These boys are fighting for our wages and Canadian aviations future. Heavy Aero is trying to put us back in the Stone Age.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I'm going to follow this as much as I can. I'll be a tuff go to get the AME wage up from Experienced and multi endorsed @ $48 an hour to the deserved $68 or $78.

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

I'll be a tuff go to get the AME wage up from Experienced and multi endorsed @ $48 an hour to the deserved $68 or $78.
There's no way it's going that high.....but - food for thought. A 20% increase puts the top wage in the mid to high 50's which I think is doable. Air Canada's contract comes up mid next year and you can bet they will leapfrog this contract. Wages could be on the verge of going up quite a bit here in the next few years. It all starts with this next contract. I hope we hold the line and get what we deserve.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

planenuts wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:34 am
I'll be a tuff go to get the AME wage up from Experienced and multi endorsed @ $48 an hour to the deserved $68 or $78.
There's no way it's going that high.....but - food for thought. A 20% increase puts the top wage in the mid to high 50's which I think is doable. Air Canada's contract comes up mid next year and you can bet they will leapfrog this contract. Wages could be on the verge of going up quite a bit here in the next few years. It all starts with this next contract. I hope we hold the line and get what we deserve.
Mid 50s is what our FAs are paid. I can’t wrap my head around our AMEs being paid the same as someone with no qualifications other than completing a 5 week course with a few drills.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

When you're at a low number and you get a 20% raise its still low.

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

As Pat Richard said, “ There is no way they will be able to keep the airline going doing scab maintenance.” I honestly do think we are setting up for the perfect storm. If Heavy Aero can’t maintain the aircraft they will need To call back the staff from the Picket line ASAP. This could be the perfect storm.

Basically, the threat from the CEO of West Jet was that their staff is replaceable. This is why they have hired Heavy Aero to take over the airline while the strike is happening as he is hoping they are able to maintain the aircraft and show them that they are just a number and replaceable. Which we know that nothing beats experience and proof that over 10 years ago when chorus went to take over PLUNA Out of Uruguay and put the company out of business in nine months when they have been running 25 years…

Most of these scabs are bottom tier contractors currently at Heavy Aero anyways. They also have a few high quality engineers there also.

Everyone wishes, Heavy Aero the best of luck! like Pat Richard said, “depending on the outcome of the strike, remember, who was a scab in the future and sold their soul to attempt to bring us back to the Stone Age.”

Now all I am hoping is most of these West Jet contractors who were working for Heavy Aero on their days off, have morals and boycott from now on..

YYCAME
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YYCAME »

I believe Westjet AMEs are overdue for a significant raise in pay that acknowledges their collective work ethic and commitment to the trade. Sometimes companies think that a good business model is hiring the lowest paid people and letting them leave in a few years but in our industry that is a recipe for disaster. It sort of works in MRO's because repetitive work can be more quickly be taught but what will happen to Westjet if they go down this road is a cash out for current management for cost savings and significant long term damage to the company as expensive mistakes, low morale and motivation, and accidents become more common. I hope to see the new contract at least match current wages at AC, Porter, Canadian North and will do whatever I can to support that. 'Same work, same pay' should be the AMFA slogan. That doesn't even factor in how company loyalty at Westjet created a culture that honestly works much harder than the rest of us. For example, AC has the same manpower for half the work (line maintenance in Calgary but not overall) but once you start burning relationships it is very hard for the company to win back the kind of effort and commitment that they apparently don't feel is worth paying for right now.

To my fellow Westjet AMEs there, you don't really want to go on strike and lose pay but honestly if you start just nitpicking every tiny detail and work to rule it can be just as if not more effective. It can be actually be very entertaining to be the ass hole who won't sign anything that isn't exactly perfect as per the AMM but you will be working long days while it lasts because you will be busy writing up minor defects, researching parts, demanding proper curing times for sealants, asking for engineering to sign off on every little variation to the manual etc. Documenting all these little repeat snags or things you notice is the key to doing it legally and frustrating the company with your attention to detail and excellence because the paperwork trail protects you from retaliation and provides proof that you are doing your job. Have fun with it as it can be very entertaining to see what is the biggest pile of shit you can pass on to the next shift in the name of good maintenance when everyone understands it is being done to benefit everyone. A side benefit of this kind of work is that you will read and study the MCM much more than you ever have to 'learn' the proper process and rule for every little job which will make you a better AME in the end.

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

Canadaflyer46 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:50 am
Mid 50s is what our FAs are paid. I can’t wrap my head around our AMEs being paid the same as someone with no qualifications other than completing a 5 week course with a few drills.

Mind you the FA's T4 doesn't match ours.....they end up being paid a lot less.

WJ scale.jpg
WJ scale.jpg (311.26 KiB) Viewed 883 times

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

planenuts wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:56 pm

WJ scale.jpg
When you can make more money being an electrician or a plumber, what is in it for us to get into aviation for us?

Honestly, why do we make that much more less than other trades. I love having the discussion where if we made that airlines would go under. Somehow all the pilots got all these massive raises, but they can’t throw us a few dollars. Come on.

Shame on you, heavy aero and all other people/ companies that are not fighting for us.

Last edited by Dash8-400 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

WJ scale.jpg
That’s because FA’s like pilots only get paid for half as many hours full time for FA’s and Pilots would be about 80 hours a month not 80 every 2 weeks.

goingnowherefast
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by goingnowherefast »

Imagine only getting paid when actually working on the plane. Time spent gathering supplies, reading manuals, cleaning the work area, moving planes around. All unpaid. That's how it works for pilots and FAs. That's why the rate for "credits" looks different.

I'm all for WJ mechanics, but make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

fish4life wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:50 am

WJ scale.jpg
That’s because FA’s like pilots only get paid for half as many hours full time for FA’s and Pilots would be about 80 hours a month not 80 every 2 weeks.
Yes - I'm aware of that. I was merely responding to the previous poster who mentioned that his FA's made $50/hour. Its not like a typical 40/week job. FA's are not bringing home $120,000/year. They need more per hour to compensate for the low hours.

planenuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by planenuts »

Dash8-400 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:12 pm

WJ scale.jpg
When you can make more money being an electrician or a plumber, what is in it for us to get into aviation for us?

Honestly, why do we make that much more less than other trades. I love having the discussion where if we made that airlines would go under. Somehow all the pilots got all these massive raises, but they can’t throw us a few dollars. Come on.

Shame on you, heavy aero and all other people/ companies that are not fighting for us.
Shame on me??

Give your head a shake and dont get pissed with me. I never said airlines would go under. In fact - I'm all for this strike and support higher wages. We are willing to fight for this. I'm simply being realistic.

Return to “Maintenance”