Beaver Floats

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Post Reply
HMMMM
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: To Cold Here, Time to Leave

Beaver Floats

Post by HMMMM »

Anyone flown a beaver on 6470 floats? If so can you get back to me with how you liked or disliked them.
Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
MUSICMAAN
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Dark side of the moon

Post by MUSICMAAN »

Nope, never flown one, but I had a look at one last year and those are big floats for a Beaver. It's second hand information, but I guess it's not a real good performer.... Once again, that's second hand, but I gotta tell ya, from looking at it, I beleive it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1483
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:28 am

Post by twotter »

Heavy, slow, and won't perform.. Way overfloated.. Whoever has them should get rid of them.. And then there's the gay fins that you have to have.. Yuck.. :(
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:56 pm
Location: 50.13N 66.17W

Post by Siddley Hawker »

The Beaver is way overfloated on that size float. That's the same float found on the Do28 and some Mark 5 Norsemans, both of which are heavier airplanes.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Handsome B. Wonderful
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:23 am
Location: YYZ

Post by Handsome B. Wonderful »

4930's are the best straight float for a piston -2 I'd say...at least from my experience
---------- ADS -----------
 
ROGERDILDOINANDOUT
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5166
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:26 pm
Location: On Borrowed Wings

Post by Rowdy »

Just curious what the standard floats are for the N6?

Watched the beaver across the way struggle occasionally on them.. We had the 4930's and they were great!
---------- ADS -----------
 
adhc2
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:08 pm
Location: Okanagan

Post by adhc2 »

Flew a Beaver a couple of seasons ago with 5350,s worked great, excellant with a big load and rough water.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
MUSICMAAN
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:26 pm
Location: Dark side of the moon

Post by MUSICMAAN »

-FJOM with the AWT wing has a set of 4930s punched out 4 inches on each side to make them into essentially, Edo 6100s, although I think they are 6000s on paper. Ugly as sin, but a nice float... feel just like 4930's, only a bit slower in the air. Far as I know, it's the only set that were done. I haven't flown the Whipline 6000s, but from what I understand, the ugly Edo's are nicer on the water, but the Whips fly faster.

MM
---------- ADS -----------
 
CFMartin
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 6:52 am

Big floats

Post by CFMartin »

I have tried both the AWT beaver with these EDOs, and the 67-something floats on a straighT Beaver.

The floats on the AWT -2 were great (although that machine is awful) and the big floats were great for big waves, longer props without having to be that careful with the water splash; but the they really sucked for longitudinal stability (more surface forward of the C.ofG.) and steering on the water.

The job I had to do with it did not require exceptional maneuvrability, so I had fun on it.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”