The hireing pool.....

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

The hireing pool.....

Post by KAG »

Just wondering if anyone (preferably at JAZZ) know's if that hireing pool they made back PRE SEPT 11 is still in existence, or will they start with fresh interviews/SIMS if they ever hire again? Last I heard was over a year ago, and things were still (obviously) on hold, and if you were notified of an earlier hireing status, it remains the same.


Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
User avatar
Hun IN the SUN
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon May 17, 2004 1:15 pm
Location: In a HOLD

Post by Hun IN the SUN »

Still pilots on furlough

Outlook looks real good, I know alot a retiring happening soon, and Starting this OCT band new RJs are on there way. With the 705`s coming next year. Also Big brother is gonna handover all of ther RJs to jazz, with I guess the new EMB ones taking their place. So alot of jets at the regional level. Which is very good.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1625
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:38 am
Location: The Wild Wild West.
Contact:

Post by twinpratts »

yeah, I think you're right on the money, KAG. My guess is it's all going to explode in the next 6 mos. (I figure only HALF of the furloughed Jazz dudes are coming back!) 8) .
BTW, in all your world travels...you been missing the Salt air lately?
cheers.
CASA Sucks :shock:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
flynbutcher
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:19 pm
Location: 867-5309

Post by flynbutcher »

your right, CASA did suck, and the salt air is real fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:15 am
Location: Canada

Post by slowstream »

King Air Guy,

I talked with them last week and YES the pool still exists and if you were in it you still are. But still no hiring and no word of any happening and that goes without saying the laid off guys come back first. Sounded like it would be a slow process. :shock: :(
---------- ADS -----------
 
thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:26 pm

Post by thrust set »

Guys/Gals,

I'll give you my two cents as I was one of many who did sim evaluations in the past when it was still ACR.

FACT: Jazz pilot pool does still exists and does look very favourably to a candidate if they had kept in touch as well . We fully understand that this is a fluid environment and one can not wait for a job at Jazz or Air Canada forever.

FACT: Jazz is receiving eight new CRJ 200 LR aircraft with an increased takeoff weight of 53,000 Lbs. before Christmas with seven more to follow after the new year, all to be on the property by the end of March.

FACT: Jazz with not be calling any furloughed pilots back before Dec. If the company and the union find it necessary to have a bid before the new year and a surplus of flying assignments is deemed necessary those recalls at best would happen in Feb/ Mar at the soonest.

FACT: The transfer of the Mainline CRJ 100's will not start in April of this year. Jazz will start to receive the mainline aircraft upon delivery of the Embarer. As of now the Embraer is planned to arrive in Nov 05 at the earliest. The rumours of the EMB 170 slots from US Airways being converted to Air Canada's is very slim.

FACT : The CRJ 705 will start to arrive at Jazz in May 05 starting with two a month till the order of fifteen is complete. The aircraft comes with 38 inch pitch in business class with 34 inch pitch in economy. Along with in-flight entertainment in the seats as well.

FACT: Jazz's jet fleet will grow to 65 total in mid 2006 with an possibility of 15 addition aircraft.

FACT : Jazz's Bae 146's will be taken out of service this month except for the odd replacement of an aircraft on a flight. These aircraft have been pulled from service a little sooner than planned allowing for some 146 pilots to be sitting on reserve till their CRJ/Dash training catches up to them, many waiting till spring of 2005.

:twisted:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Post by KAG »

Thrust set.....where are you getting this info? Just reading boards/papers or do you have a highup company contact?
---------- ADS -----------
 
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:26 pm

Post by thrust set »

King Air Guy,

All information above is 100% factual as I can assure you that my source is very high up and reputable in the company. That said, I have mentioned that things happen around here in a very fluid manner, what was said yesterday may not be written in stone tomorrow.

As I look over my post, what was said there was most of what has been told to me maybe I could have added that applicants in the pool might be asked to complete another sim evaluation in Jazz/AC CRJ sim at CAE in Toronto. When Jazz starts hiring and a high number of CRJ jet aircraft arrive in the fleet a newhire could go directly onto the CRJ rather than the Dash. And it looks like a bid will come out after the new year that might reflect sooner training slots for the BAE146 pilots.

I myself have seen a route structure for what the new Air Canada will be flying in North America. The map shows red dots for the mainline and yellow dots for Jazz. The yellow dots out numbered the red ones like 3-1 (I'm guessing here) . And my opinion is if oil comes down in price with the returning of passengers both Jazz / AC with be very well positioned. There are a couple more details that I'm leaving out but will come out in due time maybe even with Roberts announcement next week.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:15 am
Location: Canada

Post by slowstream »

thrust set,

I have heard a few of these details as well, thanks for the additional info and confirmation. I have also heard some rumors about an RJ base out west, I've heard YYC YGW..........do you know anything about that one?
---------- ADS -----------
 
thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:26 pm

Post by thrust set »

Slowstream,

"have also heard some rumours about an RJ base out west, I've heard YYC YWG..........do you know anything about that one?"

Well as I replied to King Air Guy in another post, Calgary is starting to be a CRJ base as of Nov 1 with crews already trained and Vancouver pilots shortly to follow. It is no secret that the company would like a number of smaller bases across Canada in places like Ottawa and Winnipeg and even eliminate under utilized based for the likes of London/ Quebec/ Victoria.
When the company starts to look at new bases their primary goal is to have a base where it would benefit the operating schedule enough to justify moving pilots around thus saving of hotel overnights and perdiem expenses.

Example say Winnipeg: Dec shows 5 aircraft overnight with 3 crew per aircraft for a total of 15. You have a late crew bringing the aircraft in and a early crew leaving the next day so in total you need 30 hotel rooms. At a average cost of $55/night =1650 X 365 (days in a year) = $ 602,250 for hotels alone not even including perdiems. Sure moving can be expensive but the if the company has plans for a long-time base then moving expenses is a onetime shot "shot in the arm."

:twisted:
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Post by KAG »

What about commuteing? if someone was based in TO, could they live in YYC and deadhead?
---------- ADS -----------
 
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by phatboy »

You guys think jazz is going to be hiring soon. I hate to break in to ya. Don't hold your breath. Lets face it this company just came out creditor protection last month. Now everything is rosy....some people just don't get it. They will be lucky to surivive a year from now...let alone be hiring in the next while.....good luck to all....just don't listen to fellow pilots on this one...watch the news and read the papers.....
---------- ADS -----------
 
thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:26 pm

Post by thrust set »

King Air Guy,

"What about commuting? If someone was based in TO, could they live in YYC and deadhead?"

Why not...... as long as you can make it to Toronto before your scheduled check-in there is no reason why you can't live in YYC and commute to YYZ. Many do it, although at first it might be a little tough being junior and commuting for reserve rather than a flying block.
Commuting, some define as where you reside somewhere other than your base to travel to work on a employee standby ticket and pay all the applicable fees. Deadheading is where the company moves you around say for training or built in as part of your pairing and the company pays all applicable fees.
There is something new that company started in Oct is that if you have a scheduled deadhead from say ex YYC-YYZ and it's like the end of the pairing and you commute out of YYC. You can call crew sked ask then to be released in YYC and that you will use your deadhead for the next time you commute to YYZ, thus allowing for a confirmed seat for your commute with no applicable costs. I think that is how I read the memo. You might have to pre-arrange with your base manager.

Phatboy,

"Now everything is rosy....some people just don't get it. They will be lucky to survive a year from now...."

I wonder if you could fill me in, I've seen the restructured plan, I've seen the orders, I've also chatted with passengers when Air Canada invited all to see the selection of new aircraft they were interested in last year. Even today in the newswire they have some quotes...... Air Canada expects a 14-fold increase in its third-quarter operating income as higher revenues and lower labour costs help offset rising fuel prices, the company said on Friday. "Revenues are strong and unit costs are down, even in the face of a 41 percent rise in base fuel prices," said Robert Milton, chairman, president, and chief executive of ACE Aviation Holdings Inc. the airline's new parent company." We have a plan that includes Air Canada and Jazz working as a team to lead as the 10th largest airline in the world."

So the question I have as one that "just doesn't get it". What am I missing that you could shed the light on so that maybe I could relate to my base supervisor so as to what the big picture we are missing.

"let alone be hiring in the next while"

We currently have 118 furloughed pilots as of right now. We currently have 94 BAE146 pilots that have to be trained. But starting on Oct 18 when we receive our first new factory aircraft till early 2006 we have to take possession of 55 airframes. Now retire a few older Dash 8 100's and you will see new candidates coming on board unless there is something I just" don't get."
---------- ADS -----------
 
phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by phatboy »

you don't get it... ah dude they just came out of bankruptcy a month ago...sure milton is going to say how strong and great they are...but how it they get there in the first place...milton and guys like yourself who don't see the big picture on how an airline should be run....crappy customer service at air canada will mean..no air canada...unfortunately this will be sooner than later.....that's my prediction..and my opinion, good luck.


And one last thing...would you book a flight on Jazz or air canada with your own money, say six months in advance...i think not...we all hope it will survive but we all know it won't..
---------- ADS -----------
 
thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:26 pm

Post by thrust set »

"In September ongoing disciplined capacity management and the growing popularity of Air Canada's web fares resulted in a sixth consecutive month of record load factors," said Rob Peterson, Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer. "Our record domestic performance was also supported by the strong traffic flows across Canada from international services, particularly from Japan. We are clearly the airline of choice for the lowest fares to the greatest number of destinations on an everyday basis."

- Domestic passenger load factor at 79.3% - highest ever for September
- System passenger load factor at 79.2% - highest ever for September

"would you book a flight on Jazz or air Canada with your own money, say six months in advance...I think not..."

I just added the above point to emphasize the fact that during the past 18 months Air Canada has made "leaps and bounds" of changes allowing for an orderly exit from bankruptcy protection and it looks like passengers are still showing up to travel on the carrier. Now do I think more changes have to happen, absolutely but I personally think we have a winning product. The only market segment that has not truly "come back" has been the US transborder and allowing more aircraft with greater frequency at a fraction of the price will allow the carrier to remain in some markets and even develop in others.

So I will ask you again, what am I missing that you could shed the light on so that maybe I could relate to my base supervisor so as to what the big picture we don't see. (you do understand that I fully expect not to be given some educated reply, but rather the likes of , "you can't run and airline"..or.."crappy service". Come I want more from you, a complex well thought out reply as to why you feel we won't make it........your up, .dude ; )
---------- ADS -----------
 
phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by phatboy »

i read your post thrust....and you didn't answer my question. You seem like a smart guy so you probably wouldn't pony up your own money for a ticket six months from now. Who would?? You would have to be crazy. Anyways if you think Air Canada is more customer friendly, pretend you are a customer and call the reservations line. You will probably wait 30 min to 60 min to talk to a rude agent.

Anyways, I don't really care...back to my original post that said I wouldn't hold my breath that air canada will be hiring anytime soon.

Good luck to you and to air canada. (they are going to need it) Remember less than 90 days ago there was talk this airline was going to liquidate
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:48 pm
Location: YVR

Post by Pratt »

thrust set,

Disregard what phatboy is saying, as I see it, you have very straight forwardly laid things out, and I agree with your posts about the crewing levels, communting etc. He is just trying to get to you. Let him go.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------
 
thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:26 pm

Post by thrust set »

"you probably wouldn't pony up your own money for a ticket six months from now. Who would?? You would have to be crazy"

Oh Contraire my fact-less friend. As a gift for my parents 40 wedding anniversary my brother and I have purchased, yes purchase tickets for my parents to go to London England for a month in March. Two tickets purchased on the internet Air Canada home page for $756/per person in a matter of minutes. So you may call me "crazy" but I will reassure you that I am not stupid.

"Anyways if you think Air Canada is more customer friendly, pretend you are a customer and call the reservations line. You will probably wait 30 min to 60 min to talk to a rude agent."

Customers want to be served quickly, efficiently, and in a friendly manner. Nothing is more important than speaking to one person, who can take care of your travel needs in a timely fashion. We all get frustrated if the customer service representative takes a fair amount of time answering a call, that is why Air Canada has the state of the art technology in telecommunications. You may be placed on hold as soon as you called and your call will be taken in a priority sequence from a number of call centres i.e. Winnipeg/ Montreal...etc
Nowadays, Air Canada can also expect to service your needs on the web, and this is a good thing for you! So you don't like the phone service, take the steps and book a flight on the net. Too complicated for you, maybe?......... You can even print a boarding pass 12 hours before the flight leaves in your very own home ! So Phatboy you could pack your carry on bag, go to the airport with your already checked-in boarding pass from home and never have to talk to a single Air Canada employee. Which as it seems, might be good for both parties.

But I Digress...... back to your original question.......Hiring. My prediction both Jazz/AC will be interviewing early 2006. That's a little over 14 months from now, enough time as to get some interested members from this forum up to speed on all the latest info.

:twisted:
---------- ADS -----------
 
phatboy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Post by phatboy »

funny you mention that about booking on the web....I just had to respond. My neighbour called called the reservations line last week complained about how long it took to get through to speak to someone. The agent told the customer that if he didn't like the service, book it online. Only problem, guy is almost 70 years old and doesn't know a damn thing about the internet. So it goes, another pleasant experience with air canada.

You see Thrust...Your last post shows exactly what I have said all along. You really don't get it. Have a nice day..
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
LT
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by LT »

thrust set wrote: many waiting till spring of 2005.
Well I wouldn't say the delays are that long and dreadful.

But you're right, those planes have been leaving their gates late everywhere..

I wonder why?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:15 am
Location: Canada

Post by slowstream »

Phatboy,

If you look hard enough and long enough you can find all kinds of people who are all too happy to get on the complaining train, so to speak. All you need is to look at this web site and you'll find all kinds of people who are happy to complain about W.J, Jetsgo.........hell all of them, eberybody has an opinion. Could it be that maybe you live in a neighborhood of pessimistic people? Do you or your neighbors complain after sex? Is the glass half full or half empty?

No offense meant Phatboy, but I think you've missed the point. I have appreciated thrust set's info and I believe he's right on the mark. A.C.E has a way to go but they certainly will be around for the long haul
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Pindunder Jeep
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:11 pm
Location: Canada

Post by Pindunder Jeep »

Interesting thread guys.

I can actually see both sides to this one. Phatboy has a point but I think a little drastic. Canadas' favorite pastime is loving to hate Air Canada. Everyone says ahhhhh let it go down like the Titanic. I'll bet the very next day everyone will be whining that Canada no longer has an historic flag carrier. Much like the merger with Canadian. On the eve, everyone said we only need one airline. The next day everyone screamed that there could not be a monopoly.

Thus far, the restructured Air Canada is in great shape as TS stated. However, there is a lot of money burning a hole in Uncle Miltys' pocket. A gift from the employees and Lessors. They still have not changed the way they do business. They layoff $20/hr ramp staff to cut costs yet how many times do we see an aircraft waiting for a gate burning $400/hr in fuel? Just one example of spending a dime to save a nickel.

I hope that ACE does well but I don't think Milty is the one to do it. Besides, the employees and the govt loathe the man.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Looks good on paper, but will it fly?
User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Post by KAG »

Thrust set. Thanks for the reply's. its nice to have an insider sheeding some light on the subject. I've been in the pool since pre Sept 11, waiting patiently. I'm actually glad I didnt get on when I could have (supposeing Sept 11 never happened) because I would have missed out on some really good experience, and fun times.

Anyway, I have noticed that AC is comming around with there customer service, but there phone delays are annoying and sometimes not as helpful as they could be....this is recent experience.
But I love the website, and thier fares are as competitive as the LCC's.

Phat boy, Yes I would buy a ticket from AC 6 months in advance, not only do I feel they will be around, I also have trip cancelation insurance from my visa :wink:
And haveing gone through getting a refund from C3 after they went belly up, it's not a big deal. Besides, do you feel all the present LCC's will be around in 1 year? I don't, someone's gonna fold/sell. I have my bets but I'll keep em to myself.


Cheers.

PS thrust set, please keep the information comming.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Post Reply

Return to “Air Canada”