Sanders Geophysics (SGL)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pul106
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Sanders Geophysics (SGL)

Post by pul106 »

Hi everyone

Looking to get some updated info about SGL

1. How's the company culture and management ?
2. Do they have a training bond ?
3. What is the schedule like ? (especially for new fo)
4. Are there any flight benefits ?
5. Do I have to be based in YOW area to fly for SGL ?
6. Approx. flying hours per month ?
7. Pay and per diems for fo ?

Thanks

:)
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 0000001 »

Most of the posts here are from people who've never worked for the company so take their opinions with a grain of salt. I spent 6 years with SGL and it was probably the best company I've ever worked for.

If you're looking for an entry level gig to bank tons of hours, look elsewhere. You'll fly 400-600 hours in a typical year. There is an oft-repeated phrase "this is not an aviation company" you'll hear from time to time. The flying operation is there to support the survey mission, not the other way around which can be a shift in thinking for many pilots.

The basic requirements are typically 1000 hours TT with a Group 1 instrument rating (yes Caravans are single engine they also have twins you may fly at some point). The requirements are a bit flexible depending on your skills and the requirements of the current survey work (in some cases, they can't deploy you if the client requires certain minimums). The company was founded and has grown through its own R&D developed entirely in-house. They rely heavily on skilled people to run their business and they want candidates who are more than just pilots. There is strong emphasis on personality (ie. can you get along with your crew for 2 months at a time?) and "soft" skills that make you a valuable part of the team.

The rotations are 2 month on, 1 month off. Work is almost entirely overseas and if domestic work comes up, it will almost certainly not be where you live. The lifestyle is best suited to single people but there are a few who are married or have a SO. There are ways of making it work. In 6 years I only worked one domestic tour but did plenty of work in South America, East Africa and the Far East. You can live almost anywhere but will sometimes be required to work in the YOW office before a deployment. This could involve renewing a PPC/PCC, getting involved with planning an upcoming survey or performing test flights. Travel and lodging expenses are covered for all deployments and you are paid a per diem according to the work location.

Survey flying is low level (< 500' AGL) and done VFR. Ferry flights sometimes come up which are done IFR. Flight ops are 2-crew with SOPs just like larger aircraft. There is a PICUS program. Great experience if you have any aspiration to fly with an airline. The ferry flights were my favourite part of the job. The longest I ever did was about 10,000nm from East Africa to Ottawa and did many others. You plan all these yourself and they are a great, great experience.

Pay is above average for a Caravan FO to start. You can save a lot of money by not having a full-time place to live in Canada while you're away and by banking your (tax-free) per diems. Most places in the world are way cheaper to live so your take-home can be quite decent.

SGL was the most safety-oriented company I've ever worked for. Safety is legitimately their first priority and if there is a concern, the flying stops until it's resolved or a mitigation plan is put into place. There is very little pressure to fly if the crew doesn't think the weather or a situation is suitable which I always appreciated. Having said that, safety doesn't happen on its own. There is a fair amount of paperwork to complete during a survey start-up like risk assessments, emergency response plans, hospital audits, etc. so you'll be expected to complete those as part of the job.

tldr: great place to work, don't plan to bank tons of hours, not your typical "flying job"

To answer the guy above:

>> Only for upgrades to Captain on the C208 or moving to DHC6/C404 that require course (12 months, ~$10k). Honestly this was more like job security because I enjoyed working there.

>> Company pays for travel to/from work location. Can arrange ticket to another place after your tour if it's the same cost. No interline flight benefits because company is not an airline.

tlr45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tlr45 »

I had the opportunity of working for SGL as one of my first jobs. It was a amazing opportunity that a person looking to get in to the industry as a new pilot would be lucky to get. I had a Commercial Multi IFR when I was hired.

I had some amazing experiences in North America, Europe and Greenland.

pul106
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pul106 »

SGL sounds like a great company to work for, thanks for sharing your experiences.

I hope to hear from them soon

:)

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

0000001 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:00 am Most of the posts here are from people who've never worked for the company so take their opinions with a grain of salt. I spent 6 years with SGL and it was probably the best company I've ever worked for.

If you're looking for an entry level gig to bank tons of hours, look elsewhere. You'll fly 400-600 hours in a typical year. There is an oft-repeated phrase "this is not an aviation company" you'll hear from time to time. The flying operation is there to support the survey mission, not the other way around which can be a shift in thinking for many pilots.

The basic requirements are typically 1000 hours TT with a Group 1 instrument rating (yes Caravans are single engine they also have twins you may fly at some point). The requirements are a bit flexible depending on your skills and the requirements of the current survey work (in some cases, they can't deploy you if the client requires certain minimums). The company was founded and has grown through its own R&D developed entirely in-house. They rely heavily on skilled people to run their business and they want candidates who are more than just pilots. There is strong emphasis on personality (ie. can you get along with your crew for 2 months at a time?) and "soft" skills that make you a valuable part of the team.

The rotations are 2 month on, 1 month off. Work is almost entirely overseas and if domestic work comes up, it will almost certainly not be where you live. The lifestyle is best suited to single people but there are a few who are married or have a SO. There are ways of making it work. In 6 years I only worked one domestic tour but did plenty of work in South America, East Africa and the Far East. You can live almost anywhere but will sometimes be required to work in the YOW office before a deployment. This could involve renewing a PPC/PCC, getting involved with planning an upcoming survey or performing test flights. Travel and lodging expenses are covered for all deployments and you are paid a per diem according to the work location.

Survey flying is low level (< 500' AGL) and done VFR. Ferry flights sometimes come up which are done IFR. Flight ops are 2-crew with SOPs just like larger aircraft. There is a PICUS program. Great experience if you have any aspiration to fly with an airline. The ferry flights were my favourite part of the job. The longest I ever did was about 10,000nm from East Africa to Ottawa and did many others. You plan all these yourself and they are a great, great experience.

Pay is above average for a Caravan FO to start. You can save a lot of money by not having a full-time place to live in Canada while you're away and by banking your (tax-free) per diems. Most places in the world are way cheaper to live so your take-home can be quite decent.

SGL was the most safety-oriented company I've ever worked for. Safety is legitimately their first priority and if there is a concern, the flying stops until it's resolved or a mitigation plan is put into place. There is very little pressure to fly if the crew doesn't think the weather or a situation is suitable which I always appreciated. Having said that, safety doesn't happen on its own. There is a fair amount of paperwork to complete during a survey start-up like risk assessments, emergency response plans, hospital audits, etc. so you'll be expected to complete those as part of the job.

tldr: great place to work, don't plan to bank tons of hours, not your typical "flying job"

To answer the guy above:

>> Only for upgrades to Captain on the C208 or moving to DHC6/C404 that require course (12 months, ~$10k). Honestly this was more like job security because I enjoyed working there.

>> Company pays for travel to/from work location. Can arrange ticket to another place after your tour if it's the same cost. No interline flight benefits because company is not an airline.
Solid post, it is a survey company first definitely.

Return to “Employment Forum”