Women Pilot Menoring Middle Age :|

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

Fly2Ski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Women Pilot Menoring Middle Age :|

Post by Fly2Ski »

Hi all. I am new to the forum. Thanx for taking the time to listen to my story. I started flying in Toronto Island at 29 and got to the 45hr mark, got pregnant and shelved it. Became single shortly after and was on survival mode all the while keeping the flying dream alive. At 38 I took it up again with a passion. I actually quit my job as a Stock Broker in North Bay to pursue my dream again flying days and waitressing nights for 2 years. I finished my PPL and managed to get 50 fun hours on floats with the intention to instruct floats to build time. I ran out of money and settled back into a boring bank job and shelved my flying again just as I was over 200 hrs and close to getting my CPL. I now live out west on the coast and am 47 self employed. I have yet again started flying this time I hope to complete the CPL and to get a job in aviation. I do have a connection here for my first gig. I guess what I am feeling though is a need for some coaching or mentoring from anyone who can relate with this late in life career dream that I just can't seem to shake. I love float flying or flying on the coast and the north so the airlines will not likely be in my future. Any mentoring, pep talks, personal stories would be greatly appreciated. I think I have read every book on women in aviation printed. Thanx and happy skiies!
---------- ADS -----------

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Women Pilot Menoring Middle Age :|

Post by Prairie Chicken »

It doesn't look like you've had many takers on this query. I'm not sure I can offer much guidance, having been out of the job-hunting/hour-building game for many years, but I can offer moral support!

I'm a few years older than you but have been in aviation all my career. I got out of high school many years ago & my dad encouraged me to get my ppl. He wasn't really expecting me to go for my cpl, instructor, and IFR ratings & make flying a career though! That was 30+ years ago, and I have just retired after 27 years in a job that took an ATPL to get. The work itself kept my licence & rating valid, paid well, but was mostly an office job with a little flying to keep current.

Back in the bad old days, you couldn't get a flying job for love nor money, and if you were a petite blonde your chances were much worse. Jobs in aviation always seem to go in cycles. Most of the time you can't get a job for anything, despite your experience. Then there are a few months of need, and folks can get their feet in the door. Then the door slams shut. That door has been open for a few months now, but I think it's closing, despite the needs in emerging markets such as India & China.

With your determination & love of flying, you'll succeed, especially if you don't have your eyes on an airline job. That door has likely closed due to your age & the costs of training. Yes, you're more mature than lots of other's out there, but you & I both know that maturity, respect, & self-confidence--not to mention a few contacts--go a long way. Still, I'd suggest you think outside the box and consider what you could do with a cpl outside of a typical flying job. In my experience, age & common sense don't always lend themselves to a lot of the jobs out there open to less experienced pilots. Consider buying your own a/c & flying for pleasure, or get into a business that requires float plane travel--and you supply the plane & do the flying.

Anyhow, best of luck to you, and at the very least--keep on flying! Also, try posting on the Ladies Only forum.
---------- ADS -----------

Prairie Chicken

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”